Hypothetical: If the Draft falls this way . . . who you got? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hypothetical: If the Draft falls this way . . . who you got?

The Miami Dolphins select?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The lack of a consensus on this poll speaks to the unfortunate position were in. I really feel like the top 11 is the place to be this year.

Yea it is looking that way.

I mean the only guy over 20% is a guy that 80% of mock draft have going in round 2. I mean don't get me wrong, Kendricks is a day 1 starter . . . he'd be a similar pick to what Juwan James was a year ago. But you just don't become "special" by drafting like this. You need a few exceptional talents on your team and the draft is the only way to get those guys at a lower dollar. You can't sign "Suh" like contracts every year or build a team with those guys. You need your "starters" in rounds 2, 3 and 4 . . . . and you need "exceptional" talents in round 1.

This poll also suggest we just have a lot of areas that need addressing and completely goes against "reaching" for a need. You have to take the best player on your board . . . even if he isn't a day 1 starter.

I mean the only guy over 20% is a guy that 80% of mock draft have going in round 2. I mean don't get me wrong, Kendricks is a day 1 starter . . . he'd be a similar pick to what Juwan James was a year ago. But you just don't become "special" by drafting like this. You need a few exceptional talents on your team and the draft is the only way to get those guys at a lower dollar. You can't sign "Suh" like contracts every year or build a team with those guys. You need your "starters" in rounds 2, 3 and 4 . . . . and you need "exceptional" talents in round 1.

This poll also suggest we just have a lot of areas that need addressing and completely goes against "reaching" for a need. You have to take the best player on your board . . . even if he isn't a day 1 starter.
Amen. Great.post Kdawg.

Exactly... In the first round, forget about your roster... You`re looking for Elite talent...

Needs:

1) We need to allow fewer points on defense

2) We need to score more points on offense

I'm really excited about this draft, we have a lot of options, and barring stupidity, we should come out with at least 2 very good football players.

Stupidity (IMO):

1) Reaching for the 4th or 5th best WR @ 14 when we can get a top 2 RB, CB, or OL. The draft is deep at WR, if we don't land one of the top 3 I'll be pissed if we reach into the second round to get one.

2) Drafting a player that doesn't fit our scheme or needs (ala Dion Jordan.) Guys like Landon Collins (he is a great safety, but we need a FS. If he cant drop into coverage, he is a liability.) Or Ereck Flowers (horrible pass protection, we need OL that can keep Tanny clean a lot more than a mauler that can open lanes in the ground game) Stop drafting players from the island of misfit toys!

3) This space reserved for hindsight, Monday morning QBing....

Needs:

1) We need to allow fewer points on defense

2) We need to score more points on offense

I'm really excited about this draft, we have a lot of options, and barring stupidity, we should come out with at least 2 very good football players.

Stupidity (IMO):

1) Reaching for the 4th or 5th best WR @ 14 when we can get a top 2 RB, CB, or OL. The draft is deep at WR, if we don't land one of the top 3 I'll be pissed if we reach into the second round to get one.

2) Drafting a player that doesn't fit our scheme or needs (ala Dion Jordan.) Guys like Landon Collins (he is a great safety, but we need a FS. If he cant drop into coverage, he is a liability.) Or Ereck Flowers (horrible pass protection, we need OL that can keep Tanny clean a lot more than a mauler that can open lanes in the ground game) Stop drafting players from the island of misfit toys!

3) This space reserved for hindsight, Monday morning QBing....

All were great points, but number 3 puts you in the Hall of Fame bro. we need more of that type of planning. Hey, we all post on Monday, why not reserve the spot.

Awesome.

that whole teams take bpa thing is overrated...sounds great...but how do you think these teams end up with need guys with their top picks to begin with...it's overblown...need plays a big role if grades are similar/close...especially high first round

that whole teams take bpa thing is overrated...sounds great...but how do you think these teams end up with need guys with their top picks to begin with...it's overblown...need plays a big role if grades are similar/close...especially high first round

Of course. I mean if you just signed Demarco Murray to a 5 year deal, you probably aren't going to draft Todd Gurley . . . even though he may be the highest player on your board when you pick. You'll go down a notch or 2 until you see someone that fits.

But I think in general it's a good rule of thumb just to build the overall talent on your team. Need fillers are important, but first half of the first round I'm trying to come away with a difference maker. Jeff Ireland whiffed on that in 2010 . . . but he did a better job of it after that year. Even Dion Jordan, he tried to get a difference maker on defense . . . it hasn't worked as of yet, but I'm not knocking the idea. Tannehill and Pouncey, top guys left at their position and our board and they filled needs. A win/win.

That's why I've come around on Gurley more than I'd ever think I'd come around on a first round running back. If the board falls a certain way, he could be the best player on it . . . and he looks like a difference maker. I'm game, even if the production from 2nd round running backs have been fruitful in the past.

Absolutely agree.

It's an art to work your trades to get into position where you can fill needs by taking one of the BPA guys for a reasonable cost.

Unfortunately, it's also very hard and often far more expensive than just reaching a little, so teams reach.

Ultimately we are building a team, not collecting stat cards. Drafting a big slow road grader OL might work well for San Fran and not for Miami. Linebacker is another position that is very scheme dependent.

If BPA means drafting 3 QB's, 2 punters and 2 kick returners, you would be a fool to draft like that. So, many teams arrange their boards to try to get a few positions and target a group of similar players in certain ranges. Then they work the phones when there is a run to get people in those ranges.

I like that aspect from Hickey. He wasn't afraid to move around.

Kendricks is in the lead. :hclap:

lol... im cheering with ya too!!!

im very shocked 22 went for Marcus Peters though, with his issues he brings. in games where he isnt palying 100%, disappearing, doesnt give his all or care..... thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom