I dont care how old he is... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I dont care how old he is...

I can confirm that ckparrothead has been talking up Weeden since last year. The reason I can confirm that is because he reminds us that he's been talking up Weeden since last year.

If the guy is healthy and you are confident he can be a QB that can lead your team to the promiseland at the next level, his age shouldn't matter.

Just a thought though . . . don't assume you are getting this kid in round 2 . . . if you like him, be prepared to take him in round 1. You can't put a value on good QB play, if the guy can provide that you take him and risking him in the 2nd round is following into previous regimes footsteps.

Exactly. Have conviction and pick your guy. No one cares where you took the QB if he ends up being a star.

I'm not sure you can take him at the top of round 1 though. We can attempt to trade back and take him, but that's always a dicey proposition since we don't know if anyone is even going to want to trade up since Luck will be off the board and Barkley isn't an option. Our best shot will be our pick in round 2, or a trade up from there, but that's also dependent on finding a trade partner and getting a reasonable price on the trade...

I respectfully disagree . . . obviously age is something you have to factor but the point I am making is, put a grade on a guy and stick to that. If you think he is a top 10 guy but others say late first round . . . go with your slot . . . don't get mad at Mel Kiper saying "you got him at 8, could of got him at 20" . . . **** him, just get it right based on your analysis.

I respectfully disagree . . . obviously age is something you have to factor but the point I am making is, put a grade on a guy and stick to that. If you think he is a top 10 guy but others say late first round . . . go with your slot . . . don't get mad at Mel Kiper saying "you got him at 8, could of got him at 20" . . . **** him, just get it right based on your analysis.

Can't argue with this. My thinking is that he won't be graded as a top of the first round guy because of his age. I don't think anyone is going to have him that high. He'll probably get a late first-early second round grade based on his age alone. But I agree, if you grade him that high even with his age, you take him at that point...

What? Don't look at me like that. Someone had to do it........

[video=youtube;jVbtQ5Yj0Is]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVbtQ5Yj0Is[/video]

Ck, I think what tunaphin is getting at is that older rookie qb's coming out of college tend to not do well in the pros. perfect examples are Weinke and Beck both had very good college careers but flopped given the chance in the pros, he might be thinking that Weeden is along those lines. I believe Weeden is far more talented than both even if he played with a hangover lol. I personally would take a shot on him in the 2nd given we miss out on the top 2, but I would like someone who can lead the offense for the next 15 years not 6 to 7

I´ll take the Jake Long-Weeden 7 year combo, for a first rounder please...Suddenly, everybody that can catch a ball on our team will be mentioned for the Pro Bowl...look at Indy, even Dallas Clark and Wayne look like trash these days!!

The more film I watch, the more I am convinced there are 3 quarterbacks that can give us a legitimate starter for the next 8 to 15 years, with Tannehill being a 4th wildcard. Luck and Barkley will give you the longest careers and both are skilled enough to keep a team in good position. And Weeden gives you a great starter for many years still. Those 3 are my top guys and 1 of them better be a Dolphin.

Ck, I think what tunaphin is getting at is that older rookie qb's coming out of college tend to not do well in the pros. perfect examples are Weinke and Beck both had very good college careers but flopped given the chance in the pros, he might be thinking that Weeden is along those lines.

The problem with this line of reasoning is that A) neither you nor he are explaining any reasoning or theory behind this statistical phenomenon that you say exists, and B) neither you nor he are demonstrating any statistical phenomenon exists, period.

I could just as easily say to you that 21 to 23 year old QBs that go to the NFL don't tend to succeed, and use Jamarcus Russell and J.P. Losman as 'perfect' examples. There are, after all, far more 21 to 23 year old QBs coming out of college that did not succeed as pros, than there are 21 to 23 year old QBs coming out of college that made good pros. For every Cam Newton there are ten Barrick Nealys. For every Drew Brees there are ten Dan LeFevours. There. PROOF that drafting a 21 to 23 year old quarterback is a BAD idea. Amirite?

Players that aren't very talented don't make it as pros. John Beck and Chris Weinke didn't have enough talent, just like Dan LeFevour and Barrick Nealy didn't have enough talent.

I believe Weeden is far more talented than both even if he played with a hangover lol. I personally would take a shot on him in the 2nd given we miss out on the top 2, but I would like someone who can lead the offense for the next 15 years not 6 to 7

And THAT is what it boils down to, what it always boils down to, and what it should boil down to. The rest is window dressing.

A franchise starved for consistent QB play for over a decade should be glad to accept solid QB play for the next 6 or 7 years. I know Marino and the fact he played 17 years has alot to do with it . . . I understand Peyton Manning and all his success for over a decade has alot to do with it . . . and sure that would be ideal. But if Weeden can come in right away and make a difference at the most important position on the field, I have no problem coming to reason that you won't get 15 years out the guy and you may only get 8 years.

And we don't have to settle on Weeden being the savior, we can always draft another guy to develop behind him 5 years from now . . . if Weeden ends up being as good as I think he can be, it will be all worth it. 28/29 isn't that old . . .especially if it means getting quality at QB.

A franchise starved for consistent QB play for over a decade should be glad to accept solid QB play for the next 6 or 7 years. I know Marino and the fact he played 17 years has alot to do with it . . . I understand Peyton Manning and all his success for over a decade has alot to do with it . . . and sure that would be ideal. But if Weeden can come in right away and make a difference at the most important position on the field, I have no problem coming to reason that you won't get 15 years out the guy and you may only get 8 years.

And we don't have to settle on Weeden being the savior, we can always draft another guy to develop behind him 5 years from now . . . if Weeden ends up being as good as I think he can be, it will be all worth it. 28/29 isn't that old . . .especially if it means getting quality at QB.[/QUOTE]This^is my line of thinking also,hell Kdawg,your whole post here sums up how i feel if we can't/don't get Luck or Barkley.

check out how fast weeden gets the ball out? check out his velocity, and check out his ball placement.. If you want to go by talent, he's the best player in the draft.

oh, and barkley cant hold weedens jock. if anyone wants to bet me that barkley will be better than weeden, be my guests! Thats a bet that i will take all day!

Back
Top Bottom