I hope I'm wrong....but..... | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I hope I'm wrong....but.....

Your not wrong. Your spot on. This front office broke EVERY rule of smart drafting. Passing on one of the best lb prospects in a decade for a MAJOR one dimentional, PART TIME player AND turning down a #1, 3 and 7th round pics to boot!! You want to talk about BAD drafting.

TANKERSLEY? You don't lock into a player EXLUSIVELY over a sweet sounding interview. Had they picked him and said "we are confident he can shut down Brady's wr's and most likely to heavily contribute or start right away", that would be different. But, "he blew us away in the interview and has A CHANCE to really contribute or even start in a couple years" is not. Again, poor reasoning, poor drafting. The office acts like we are truly a playoff team and we are NOT.

I am not down on tank as much as some, but we don't have the team in place where the office can knowingly draft players early they and the media draft nick's all say won't be a first year contributor or starter.. We do not have the corners this office thinks we have, not one of them can contest a ball on a consistent basis and if it's not a quick, decisive sack or tipped ball, it's 98% a completion for our opponent. Tank has a reputation as a good contest corner (aka, someone who doesn't need a qb sack, big pass rush or bad throw to be successful like the truly good cb's) and he could surprise everyone but again, the office wasn't making those assumption's, just that great interview. Bad drafting strategy and philosophy again.

All the way through there were better players, better talent and they past it all up. The thing that is probably going to bite us is center. Mike Pouncy is a liability health wise and FEENY should have been taken. It's not if, it's when and how soon pouncy goes down and I TRULY believe this is his last year. Another huge gamble by this staff that will probably, once again be the Achilles heel of this offense.

Center is massively important not only from a playing stand point but from making the CORRECT line calls!! Pouncy is great at all of that but, what happens when he is out? As we have seen, there is a Huge difference and drop in talent at center on the bench. FEENY would have been a pro bowl center for years. Big, big mistake.

Your right. This draft was an all around head scratcher and yet AGAIN we will have to suffer through all the pie in the sky homers posts for months as this being the mother of all dolphins drafts. As I have told them all, come see me in December. And I too hope I am dead wrong, NOTHING would make me happier than to post on the board in December how wrong I was in my take on this draft but my happiness, unfortunately, is will be on the shelf for a considerable time.

This is the stamp of approval that I was waiting on to certify that the Dolphins indeed had a great draft!

Lol at you saying Miami isn't a playoff team.
You were so wrong about Gase last year it was comical.

Thank you for the entertainment and please don't disappear like last year when the Dolphins kept winning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope not trolling. Just stepped back and looked at the whole picture (FA and Draft) instead of having blinders on and viewing the whole thing from a single pick. I may or may not have been sober either on night one of the draft. :chuckle:

I'm not slamming the whole draft...I like the rest after the first two....I don't hate the first two...I just feel there were better players on the board.

That is truly the only thing to take away from that word salad. :lol:

Is there ever anything else to take away from his word salads besides bad spelling and punctuation?

Nope not trolling. Just stepped back and looked at the whole picture (FA and Draft) instead of having blinders on and viewing the whole thing from a single pick. I may or may not have been sober either on night one of the draft. :chuckle:

[video=youtube;3FtNm9CgA6U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FtNm9CgA6U[/video]

This is the stamp of approval that I was waiting on to certify that the Dolphins indeed had a great draft!

Lol at you saying Miami isn't a playoff team.
You were so wrong about Gase last year it was comical.

Thank you for the entertainment and please don't disappear like last year when the Dolphins kept winning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You actually read the entire post? Kudos. :chuckle:

I've been at this site for years, tho I rarely post...

Why?

I read thru this thread and I envision an angry toddler banging on his high chair tray, screaming... don't want meat!!! Want pudding!!!

Is there ever anything else to take away from his word salads besides bad spelling and punctuation?

[video=youtube;3FtNm9CgA6U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FtNm9CgA6U[/video]

Intelligence, which you'll obviously never understand, nor the fact that spelling or punctuation has nothing to do with intelligence, not that i couldn't out spell you 1000/1000 times, but keep hanging on to that low branch and slinging insults like a true genius.

I haven't felt this bad about a draft since 2013.

Players with major weaknesses in their games with strong talent available at both picks.

Something is wrong with our evaluation process....Grier's job should ride on this class impacting 2017 big time and be fired if they don't.

I would have rather fixed our O-line for good with two guards than take two defenders this flawed.

I hope I'm wrong...this draft sets us way back if I'm right.

Hey, it's fair to have that feeling. We all hope you are incorrect on this one, so here are a few tidbits that may help you feel a little better.

1. Charles Harris possesses the first step a lot of good pass rushers possess. Not many players in this draft had it ... he is probably one of 3 who did, so when looking for that elusive transcendent trait ... he has it. Now he is also very good at getting low and pretty decent at bending the arc, the same traits that Cam Wake has perfected ... so who better to learn from than Cam?

2. McMillan has been elite at every level and even among a star studded Ohio State team, he was the guy that ran the show. He frequently attended DL drills after he finished his LB drills because he wanted more work. He studied football obsessively. He has excellent positional sense and reads the offensive play instinctively, much like Zach Thomas did. While he isn't currently good at coverage, he ran a 4.61 forty and has lots of speed and agility to go with good strength and LB fundamentals. The kid is still young. IMHO, we found a 10 year stalwart.

3. Tankersly may be afraid to tackle ... but that should be fixed rather quickly under the Gase regime. He is a tremendous press corner and one of the few that has both size and 4.4 speed. The tools are there to be very good. Right now he looks like a much better version of Tony Lippett, and our coaching staff has helped Lippett improve dramatically ... so there is a lot of hope for a guy with Tank's tools.

4. Asiata was about as good as we could get. This is a weak OL draft. Unless we ignore the good defensive talent in this draft, which IMHO would be a huge mistake, we weren't getting any gem OL players. Asiata is a guy with power, technique, footspeed, potential, and is both good in the locker room and a good citizen. The raw material is there for a Ritchie Incognito style player without the baggage. That's definitely worth a 5th round pick.

5. From that point in the draft onward, we balanced BPA with need. We needed inexpensive DT's, so we drafted 2 with potential. Hopefully 1 of them works out. Then we drafted a WR who seems like great value for that spot ... and in the 7th you're looking for any talent, not someone without deficiencies.

If two of these guys pan out--and I'm fairly certain we'll get 3 or 4 to pan out--this has been a successful draft. If it easies your concern at all, none of these guys lack tools, none of them lack drive and none of them are poor scheme fits. I think a year from now you will feel a lot better about this class.

Lamp at the first pick or Rueben foster and I'd be championing this draft. I like Asiata great value pick. I like the round two pick but mine would have been different. Could have traded down, still taken lamp or probably Harris as he was already free falling...we just have a history of bad first rounders. The only two that haven't been total **** in d cases were tannehill and tunsil.

I have a hard time 'grading drafts' immediately because I don't pay attention to college ball, but it seems things went well as far as drafting for defense. I also like what I hear about the OG we drafted in the 5th.

Hey, it's fair to have that feeling. We all hope you are incorrect on this one, so here are a few tidbits that may help you feel a little better.

1. Charles Harris possesses the first step a lot of good pass rushers possess. Not many players in this draft had it ... he is probably one of 3 who did, so when looking for that elusive transcendent trait ... he has it. Now he is also very good at getting low and pretty decent at bending the arc, the same traits that Cam Wake has perfected ... so who better to learn from than Cam?

2. McMillan has been elite at every level and even among a star studded Ohio State team, he was the guy that ran the show. He frequently attended DL drills after he finished his LB drills because he wanted more work. He studied football obsessively. He has excellent positional sense and reads the offensive play instinctively, much like Zach Thomas did. While he isn't currently good at coverage, he ran a 4.61 forty and has lots of speed and agility to go with good strength and LB fundamentals. The kid is still young. IMHO, we found a 10 year stalwart.

3. Tankersly may be afraid to tackle ... but that should be fixed rather quickly under the Gase regime. He is a tremendous press corner and one of the few that has both size and 4.4 speed. The tools are there to be very good. Right now he looks like a much better version of Tony Lippett, and our coaching staff has helped Lippett improve dramatically ... so there is a lot of hope for a guy with Tank's tools.

4. Asiata was about as good as we could get. This is a weak OL draft. Unless we ignore the good defensive talent in this draft, which IMHO would be a huge mistake, we weren't getting any gem OL players. Asiata is a guy with power, technique, footspeed, potential, and is both good in the locker room and a good citizen. The raw material is there for a Ritchie Incognito style player without the baggage. That's definitely worth a 5th round pick.

5. From that point in the draft onward, we balanced BPA with need. We needed inexpensive DT's, so we drafted 2 with potential. Hopefully 1 of them works out. Then we drafted a WR who seems like great value for that spot ... and in the 7th you're looking for any talent, not someone without deficiencies.

If two of these guys pan out--and I'm fairly certain we'll get 3 or 4 to pan out--this has been a successful draft. If it easies your concern at all, none of these guys lack tools, none of them lack drive and none of them are poor scheme fits. I think a year from now you will feel a lot better about this class.

Don't get me wrong brother....I am fine with the draft after the first two....just would have gone Foster or Watt in round 1....and Jordan Willis in round 2....thats all.

I love the rest of the picks...particullary Asiatta who is Richie Incognito tough.

this is a great post and helpful to someone like me who doesn't follow college ball.

big stretch saying tank is better or will be than lippett, long way to go before that, lippett is a young corner with lots of upside and more size.

Back
Top Bottom