I simply do not understand... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I simply do not understand...

fanfin

Active Roster
Reaction score
why everyone wants Jake Long to leave. His play has suffered due to injuries and schematic changes but he is still a top 10 LT in the league and those guys don't grow on trees. Some of you talk worse about him than Marc Colombo! He is asking for 10M$ per season which isn't exactly breaking the bank. All we are doing by letting him go is creating ANOTHER need. If we cut Carpenter and either Richard Marshall or Dmitri Patterson we will have around 55 million in salary cap space! Why not spend 10 of that on Jake and we still have 45 million left for Greg Jennings, a TE, and a CB like Derek Cox

I think you answered your own question. The difficulty is assessing whether his injuries will heal enough to have him return to 2010 form or if his body is just breaking down and will continue to do so.

I agree with keeping him, but it should be under $10 mill per season, and it should offer us a way out if his injuries continue.

Jake Long is a good LT. Problem is, he wants Elite Left Tackle money and that doesn't fit his description anymore. So yes, $10 million for any good player that's not a QB is breaking the bank. And if we cut Patterson or Marshall, we have to eat part of their salaries and still pay them their guarantee's, so you can't just get their salary and add it to available salary cap money. It's dead money that cannot be used.

why everyone wants Jake Long to leave. His play has suffered due to injuries and schematic changes but he is still a top 10 LT in the league and those guys don't grow on trees. Some of you talk worse about him than Marc Colombo! He is asking for 10M$ per season which isn't exactly breaking the bank. All we are doing by letting him go is creating ANOTHER need. If we cut Carpenter and either Richard Marshall or Dmitri Patterson we will have around 55 million in salary cap space! Why not spend 10 of that on Jake and we still have 45 million left for Greg Jennings, a TE, and a CB like Derek Cox

I've been trying to explain this to people since November, finfan. I've simply given up on them. It's common sense but some just don't seem to grasp it.:crazy:

And if I were Ireland, after re-signing Sean Smith, I'd restructure Dimitri Patterson's contract then cut Marshall and use the combined cap savings to sign Cox. This way I leave CB as a late round after thought and focus #12 on Patterson, Vaccaro, or Ansah. :)

At the right price, I'd like to have him back, but if he's asking for a ridiculous contract, then they should let him walk.

Jake Long is a good LT. Problem is, he wants Elite Left Tackle money and that doesn't fit his description anymore. So yes, $10 million for any good player that's not a QB is breaking the bank. And if we cut Patterson or Marshall, we have to eat part of their salaries and still pay them their guarantee's, so you can't just get their salary and add it to available salary cap money. It's dead money that cannot be used.

I'm sorry but he's a perennial pro bowl LT and $10mil is "more" than reasonable for a perennial pro bowl LT. He's asking nowhere near Joe Thomas elite money, that's just made up propaganda. And that's his starting point at that, so he's showing willingness to negotiate. This he wants too much money is a bunch of bunk. All Ireland has to do is near match that $10mil, say $9.5mil and you keep him from hitting FA (where his price will go UP).

I'm sorry but he's a perennial pro bowl LT and $10mil is "more" than reasonable for a perennial pro bowl LT. He's asking nowhere near Joe Thomas elite money, that's just made up propaganda. And that's his starting point at that, so he's showing willingness to negotiate. This he wants too much money is a bunch of bunk. All Ireland has to do is near match that $10mil, say $9.5mil and you keep him from hitting FA (where his price will go UP).

Joe Thomas makes $10 million a season.

"The Miami Herald reports free agent LT Jake Long is believed to be seeking at least $10 million annually, and that the Dolphins are "pessimistic" about their chances of re-signing him."

I've been trying to explain this to people since November, finfan. I've simply given up on them. It's common sense but some just don't seem to grasp it.:crazy:
The most ridiculous part of it all is their suggested replacements, drafting ANOTHER first round Offensive Lineman, or drafting a 3rd round RT and moving Martin to LT. Jake Long is a good player. You HAVE to keep good players.. Who would you rather give 10 million to: Jake or Sean Smith? There is no better example of Martin protecting Tannehills blindside being a complete failure then when against SF Aldon Smith bullrushed Martin and ran right through him and almost killed Tannehill. Also glad to see you added Ansah to your potential first round picks, even if there is an asterisk* there. LOL

Simple Value for Cash spent. Long is no longer worth $10M+ per year - Certainly not $15M on the Franchise Tag. That amount of $ can be used much better to find other playmakers to better improve the overall roster.

Who would you rather give 10 million to: Jake or Sean Smith?

Option C: None of the above. It's not a this or that situation. We need players who can score and who can stop other teams from scoring. Neither player you mentioned is capable of that.

I'd even pay Sean Smith the $7mil before FA hits. The one I'd low ball some is Randy Starks and let him hit the market to see if teams indeed won't pay him what he's asking for because we can cover his loss should he bolt with Odrick.

Option C: None of the above. It's not a this or that situation. We need players who can score and who can stop other teams from scoring. Neither player you mentioned is capable of that.

We can't score any points when Tannehill gets sacked 5 times a game because our Tackles are Johnathan Martin and Will Yeatman... you act like we don't have plenty of money and draft picks to add receivers, a tight end, a pass rusher, and dbs

Simple Value for Cash spent. Long is no longer worth $10M+ per year - Certainly not $15M on the Franchise Tag. That amount of $ can be used much better to find other playmakers to better improve the overall roster.

You see, fanfin? You see how now they begin to "add" and embellish to $10 [plus] he's apparently asking for? Haha

$10mil is Long's asking price. The team will counter $8mil and then settle at $9.5mil and move on to Smith. The next post will be Long wants $50mil guaranteed hahaha *facepalm* ;)

Back
Top Bottom