I simply do not understand...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by fanfin, Feb 11, 2013.

1. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

why everyone wants Jake Long to leave. His play has suffered due to injuries and schematic changes but he is still a top 10 LT in the league and those guys don't grow on trees. Some of you talk worse about him than Marc Colombo! He is asking for 10M$ per season which isn't exactly breaking the bank. All we are doing by letting him go is creating ANOTHER need. If we cut Carpenter and either Richard Marshall or Dmitri Patterson we will have around 55 million in salary cap space! Why not spend 10 of that on Jake and we still have 45 million left for Greg Jennings, a TE, and a CB like Derek Cox

2. Andyman

Andyman Canadian Fin Fan

I think you answered your own question. The difficulty is assessing whether his injuries will heal enough to have him return to 2010 form or if his body is just breaking down and will continue to do so.

3. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

I agree with keeping him, but it should be under $10 mill per season, and it should offer us a way out if his injuries continue.

4. Dolphins91

Dolphins91 Well-Known Member

Jake Long is a good LT. Problem is, he wants Elite Left Tackle money and that doesn't fit his description anymore. So yes, $10 million for any good player that's not a QB is breaking the bank. And if we cut Patterson or Marshall, we have to eat part of their salaries and still pay them their guarantee's, so you can't just get their salary and add it to available salary cap money. It's dead money that cannot be used.

5. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

I've been trying to explain this to people since November, finfan. I've simply given up on them. It's common sense but some just don't seem to grasp it.:crazy:

And if I were Ireland, after re-signing Sean Smith, I'd restructure Dimitri Patterson's contract then cut Marshall and use the combined cap savings to sign Cox. This way I leave CB as a late round after thought and focus #12 on Patterson, Vaccaro, or Ansah. :)

6. PhinsPhan11

PhinsPhan11 Phins & Philly Sports

At the right price, I'd like to have him back, but if he's asking for a ridiculous contract, then they should let him walk.

7. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

I'm sorry but he's a perennial pro bowl LT and $10mil is "more" than reasonable for a perennial pro bowl LT. He's asking nowhere near Joe Thomas elite money, that's just made up propaganda. And that's his starting point at that, so he's showing willingness to negotiate. This he wants too much money is a bunch of bunk. All Ireland has to do is near match that $10mil, say $9.5mil and you keep him from hitting FA (where his price will go UP).

8. Dolphins91

Joe Thomas makes $10 million a season.

"The Miami Herald reports free agent LT Jake Long is believed to be seeking at least $10 million annually, and that the Dolphins are "pessimistic" about their chances of re-signing him."

9. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

The most ridiculous part of it all is their suggested replacements, drafting ANOTHER first round Offensive Lineman, or drafting a 3rd round RT and moving Martin to LT. Jake Long is a good player. You HAVE to keep good players.. Who would you rather give 10 million to: Jake or Sean Smith? There is no better example of Martin protecting Tannehills blindside being a complete failure then when against SF Aldon Smith bullrushed Martin and ran right through him and almost killed Tannehill. Also glad to see you added Ansah to your potential first round picks, even if there is an asterisk* there. LOL

10. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

11. Perfect72

Perfect72 It's Only Happened ONCE!

Simple Value for Cash spent. Long is no longer worth $10M+ per year - Certainly not $15M on the Franchise Tag. That amount of $ can be used much better to find other playmakers to better improve the overall roster.

12. AquaInferno

AquaInferno Pro Bowler Donator

Option C: None of the above. It's not a this or that situation. We need players who can score and who can stop other teams from scoring. Neither player you mentioned is capable of that.

13. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

I'd even pay Sean Smith the $7mil before FA hits. The one I'd low ball some is Randy Starks and let him hit the market to see if teams indeed won't pay him what he's asking for because we can cover his loss should he bolt with Odrick.

14. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

We can't score any points when Tannehill gets sacked 5 times a game because our Tackles are Johnathan Martin and Will Yeatman... you act like we don't have plenty of money and draft picks to add receivers, a tight end, a pass rusher, and dbs

15. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

You see, fanfin? You see how now they begin to "add" and embellish to $10 [plus] he's apparently asking for? Haha

$10mil is Long's asking price. The team will counter $8mil and then settle at $9.5mil and move on to Smith. The next post will be Long wants $50mil guaranteed hahaha *facepalm* ;)

16. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

There is no penalty for cutting Patterson before opening day. And Marshall, well he only had $6 mil of his contract guaranteed, and he already made that in 2012. The only penalty for cutting him before opening day would be two thirds of his $3.5 million signing bonus. Not a huge penalty at all.

17. Dolphins91

I don't get what your fixation with $10-$12 million is... either way, it's too much for him. I'd go $8 million/season. That still puts him in the top 8 in terms of average salary for his position.

18. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

I'd bring him back on 4 million per year. Joe Staley makes 4.5 million per year and he's far better than Jake Long could ever dream of, and he signed that contract recently too. So 4 million, or he can walk.

19. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP

20. DANTODUPER

DANTODUPER Scout Team

Did you know Tom Brady makes less than 10 Million a year?
    The problem is not wether or not Long has talent, problem is.... Is that talent worth 10 million dolars a year? Hell noooooooo!!!!!

21. AquaInferno

You're right. While injured he will keep Tannehill from being sacked. Wanna know when he really helps the QB? When he's holding (again) for getting beat by ANY athletic DE (again). Sign him up for $9,999,999.99 you're right!

22. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

Nonsense, as Long has even played and played well while injured. People tend to not realize the last two seasons which are basically the two he's ended on IR in the "end" of the season he played "through" the injuries and still made the Pro Bowl in 2011, and only decided to go IR once it was probable that we were now realistically out of the playoffs. It was a team decision. Since the playoffs was no longer within reach they closed their franchise LT for the final two games in 2011. And in 2012 when the playoffs were not a reality, they decided to shut him down and fix him up and allow opportunity to give Martin some work at LT. Injuries are not really an issue with Long as he's tough as nails and plays through them. Injuries are a part of the game. That's why teams carry 53 plus a practice squad.

23. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

:bobdole: Wow!!!

24. Wildbill3

I don't agree. While he may have played through his injuries, it's not safe to assume those injuries won't catch up to him.

25. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Actually, it is true that he has more trouble with athletic DEs, then power DEs, but other then 2011, he has done as good or better job against athletic DEs as most of the other LTs in the NFL, but unlike other LT, using a power move on Jake is going to almost always get you nowhere near the QB.....in fact Jake loves it when a DE tries to bull-rush him.

26. psfign

psfign A True Fan

I don't agree either. You can make all the excuses you want, but he ended the last two seasons on IR. That's not someone I want to pay.

27. JDRA20

JDRA20 Well-Known Member

He's a perennial Pro Bowler because he's a fan favorite, not because he's been playing like a Pro Bowler. His play has reduced considerably over the last two years, and he doesn't fit our scheme. The OP stated that despite the scheme change, we should keep him. WHY? Those $10 million could go to Mike Wallace, Randy Starks, Sean Smith (hopefully not), or Brian Hartline. If he doesn't fit our scheme AND he's playing like crap, why keep him? As far as I see it, he got lucky with that fat contract we handed him as a rookie and he's squeezed every penny out of Ross' pocket while playing like an extremely average tackle.

Don't get me wrong, he WAS elite for a few years, but he's a shell of his former self.

28. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

Did you know he makes another 10 million in endorsemants and his wife makes more than he does? hahah ban this guy ^

29. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

why would u pay Brian Hartline the dude is literally allergic to the end zone.

30. psfign

psfign A True Fan

And to be honest, I can definitely see both sides of the coin here. You let him go and there's potential for his injury concerns to be non-exsistant. You keep him and there's potential for him to continually to be an injury problem. So if you 'simply cant understand....', then you are blind to other possibilities. If your opinion differs, fine. But don't act like it's an outrageous notion that Long has become injury prone. You dont know any more than I do. So stop acting like your opinion is the only one that could possibly be right.

31. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Tom Brady
    2010...$10.7 million
    2011...$13.2 million
    2012...$8 million
    2013...$21.8 million
    2014...$21.8 million....average $15.7 million per year

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/tom-brady/

32. AquaInferno

I don't know Brady's contract but I do know 3 things:
    1) Jake Long can marry someone who makes a lot of money if he wants. Non related to his contract.
    2) Jake Long can pimp himself around for endorsements if he wants. If he cant get any? Well that's not the Miami Dolphins' problem.
    3) Who in the blue hell are you to be here for a whopping month and a half and saying ban so and so? I'm sure you weren't serious but gimme a break.

33. dcnr226

dcnr226 A True Fan Donator

You need to google the definition of "literally".

Everyone loves Jake Long. Nobody that understands football wants to pay him what he's asking. Especially not in this scheme, especially not with Jonathan Martin grading out as well as Jake did at left tackle when Jake went down.

34. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

those first 2 points were a waste of text. The point is Brady isn't looking for a huge contract and takes less money to get good players around him. Yes I was joking about banning

35. AquaInferno

Nonsense: Pro bowls are fan voting included. If you've been a member of this forum for any length of time you must have seen tons of vote inflating threads where people vote on every internet connected device to inflate the numbers. What's up with this franchise LT business? I mean are we really trying to fit the mold of Joe Thomas and the almighty Cleveland Browns? Well then again any of us who used this as a basis in 2011 with the Daboll hire saying he sucks Cleveland sucks. I got an idea for the new logo. Let's call ourselves the Miami Oranges and have a plain orange helmet and a franchise left tackle.

36. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

37. AquaInferno

You're right, bringing up Brady's endorsements and his womans salary is a waste of text saying why we need to pay Long more. You're welcome.

38. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

You are very right about one thing. Jake Long got the pro bowl lately BC of his name and draft status. The average fan may only know 2, 3 offensive lineman so he got voted in on a reputation basis like Ray Lewis has done the past 3 years

39. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

Thank you! Cus that would mean Brady is not looking for a payday, he already has it made. The endorsements and his wife salary matter because he doesn't need any more than 9 million a year base salary.

40. Wildbill3

he's been constantly injured in this league more than he's been healthy now, if he was injured his first couple of seasons and then uninjured the last 3 years I wouldnt' even be concerned, but history shows that injuries accumulate with age, not the other way around.