I simply do not understand... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I simply do not understand...

He's a perennial pro bowler because on his "worst" year he was still a "very good" LT and in his best years up there with Joe Thomas that's why the fans put him there. http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/2/...eason-in-review-offensive-line-trench-warfare
I got a different link.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/26/refo-seahawks-dolphins-week-12/

A Long Year
When you’re in a contract year you want to put your best foot forward. Unfortunately, that’s not proving to be the case for Jake Long (-1.3) who really isn’t looking like the player he once was… at least not consistently. That doesn’t make him a bad player, but for a guy who was arguably the best left tackle in the league in 2010, that may not translate to a deal the likes of which Joe Thomas received. Against Seattle, Long was fine in the run game, but he gave up a sack, hit, and four hurries as Chris Clemons went to work on him. The spin move Long was beaten by with 5:56 to go in first was a reminder of how far he has fallen from the nearly unbeatable player he once was.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/09/potential-2013-fas-hurting-their-value/

Jake Long, Miami Dolphins
After being a dominant performer for the first four years of his career, after he was drafted with the first overall pick in 2008, Long has looked very ordinary so far this season. Playing every single offensive snap, Long has an overall grade of -2.0, including a putrid -5.5 performance this past week against the Colts. Further hurting his value, the Dolphins have signaled that they likely intend to let him go, especially after drafting Jonathan Martin, who primarily played left tackle at Stanford. Long wants to get paid like Joe Thomas, and will likely get a nice contract after his fine play for the past four years. The big question is will teams hesitate if he continues to underperform down the stretch?

Last edited by a moderator:
why everyone wants Jake Long to leave. His play has suffered due to injuries and schematic changes but he is still a top 10 LT in the league and those guys don't grow on trees. Some of you talk worse about him than Marc Colombo! He is asking for 10M$ per season which isn't exactly breaking the bank. All we are doing by letting him go is creating ANOTHER need. If we cut Carpenter and either Richard Marshall or Dmitri Patterson we will have around 55 million in salary cap space! Why not spend 10 of that on Jake and we still have 45 million left for Greg Jennings, a TE, and a CB like Derek Cox

I love Jake, I blame Sparano for everything wrong lol, I don't blame Jake.
But he isn't trending upwards, or even plateauing, he's steamrolling downhill with these injuries.
When was the last time he even finished the year for us, if we envision us being contenders, what's the point if he's not even in the playoffs with us?

I don't know, I'm not completely for or against re-signing him. I would be all for re-signing him, but at my price.
And I'm not saying to be cut-throat cheap with him, but imho there will be maybe one or two teams that will make him an offer that will be astronomically more than what I would be willing to do.
And I'm pretty sure he will take that offer. So I wouldn't say I Want him to leave.
It'll come down to dollars, as it usually does unfortunately, and he will take the highest offer.

My question to you is, do you think we should be the team with the Highest offer to Jake? Out of the entire NFL, do you think we should outbid every other team for Jake? Or do you want to tag him?
I absolutely would not sign him long term-10 mil/yr.
I could maybe franchise him, I don't know what that hit would be, but even then it would only be if we had cap space left over that wasn't going to be used.
And I don't anticipate or don't want us having cap space left over lol, so Jake is just lower on the priority imo.
A lot of it has to do with J. Martin. I think he can anchor there as long as he continues to strengthen up. That's really his only problem imho, everything else is pretty good.

It's really tragic, this continuing story of Jake Long. It's always tough when injuries are completely to blame for a players fall from grace.
****ing Sparano, biased or not, I don't think I'll ever forgive him for what he did.

i watched the oakland game last watching long. he got abused by shaunessy on two plays in pass pro. he aslo kicked ass blocking and opened up holes for bush's biggest game of the year.

you cant argue his play slipped because it did. you can argue that new scheme and snap count affected him as much as the injuries.

but for every play hegot abused, i could dig out ten more where he not only pancakes a guy, but he then hits the second guy.

I also think that anyone banking on martin at LT after 3 games should think longer and harder.

If Eric Fisher is there at 12, you take him if Long not resigned. Take Johnson too. Lt is tough to find for cheaper money.

The reality is, whether you want to blame injuries, or coaching, or scheme, or motivation, Long has basically regressed every year since he's been here. I see nothing to indicate a change in that pattern. Also, using the Parcells team building philosophy, we have overspent and overdrafted along the o-line for years, and guess what? 7-9.

The use of assets and cap space on the o-line at the expense of playmakers (i.e., people that actually touch the ball), has been proven to be ineffective, and Long has steadily declined in both his play and physical health. The team did no worse without him. Why on earth would we continue to throw good money after bad?

Aldon Smith is perhaps the best LB in the game. Not many OL's can block him. Expecting a rookie RT to block him? not me

The reality is, whether you want to blame injuries, or coaching, or scheme, or motivation, Long has basically regressed every year since he's been here. I see nothing to indicate a change in that pattern. Also, using the Parcells team building philosophy, we have overspent and overdrafted along the o-line for years, and guess what? 7-9.

The use of assets and cap space on the o-line at the expense of playmakers (i.e., people that actually touch the ball), has been proven to be ineffective, and Long has steadily declined in both his play and physical health. The team did no worse without him. Why on earth would we continue to throw good money after bad?

yeah, regressed from the best tackle in the league. please please please i beg all of you who say martin did fine at LT, please put in the new england game and be honest. too much talk gets focused on a few items and repeated. just because people repeat saying it, doesnt mean he did great. he got blown up by new england. tannehill couldnt do squat.

Yeah bringing back a deteriorating Jake Long who doesn't even fit well in Philbin's zone blocking for 10million+ is a great idea. Miami can find a replacement for Long, that whiffs at a fraction of what Jake long is asking for. Miami doesn't need a stellar or "elite" LT. Average will do. Miami needs weapons. Can't get weapons if Jake Long is clogging up the salary cap on IR.

We can't score any points when Tannehill gets sacked 5 times a game because our Tackles are Johnathan Martin and Will Yeatman... you act like we don't have plenty of money and draft picks to add receivers, a tight end, a pass rusher, and dbs

Dude, Tannehill was getting sacked with Jake Long in there. The oline play was average w/Jake Long and average when Long went on IR. Long is no longer a difference maker.

There is actually a pretty staggering list of UFA to choose from to replace Long if we decide to do that.

He's a perennial pro bowler because on his "worst" year he was still a "very good" LT and in his best years up there with Joe Thomas that's why the fans put him there. http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/2/...eason-in-review-offensive-line-trench-warfare

You're kidding me right? That article literally stated that after thorough research, they concluded that Jake Long was 34th in pass blocking and 38th in run blocking in the league. Are you seriously trying to use that as justification to pay him $10 million a year? Imho if we wanted average play from our tackles, we could just look into free agency or the draft, and that would cost a damn sight less than what Jake's asking.

Jake Long = Tony Bocelli ---- his body just isn't going to hold up. Jake is a broken shell of his former self, any team that signs him for 10mil a year will be cutting him in a year.

Sign him for 6 a year with some injury clause in his contract and put him at right tackle.

Back
Top Bottom