Ideal Offseason | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ideal Offseason

Tupac Shakur

troublesome
Club Member
Reaction score
As of right now (Week 8, Bye Week) this would be my idea of an ideal offseason for the Dolphins, keeping it within reason, realistically speaking.

Release/Waive/Do Not Resign:

Sammy Morris, RB
Darian Barnes, FB
Chris Davis, WR
Eric Kimble, WR
Jason Rader, TE
Tim Massaquoi, TE
Damion McIntosh, T
Bennie Anderson, G
Kendyl Jacox, G/C
Trey Darilek, C
Vonnie Holliday, DT
Keith Traylor, NT (Retire?)
Jeff Zgonina, DT (Retire?)
David Bowens, DE
Donnie Spragan, LB
Keith Adams, LB
Keith Newman, LB
Michael Lehan, CB
Eddie Jackson, CB
Will Poole, CB
Travares Tillman, S
Olindo Mare, K

Trade:
Marty Booker, WR for a 4th round draft choice
Jeno James, G for a 5th round draft choice

Sign one of these in Unrestricted Free Agency:
Eric Steinbach, G (Bengals)
Adalius Thomas, LB (Ravens)
Asante Samuel, CB (Patriots)
Josh Brown, K (Seahawks)

Draft:
(Assuming 3rd overall pick)
Round 1-
Joe Thomas, T - Wisconsin
We haven't had a quality LT since the days of Richmond Webb; this guy could solve a lot of problems.
Round 2-
Aaron Rouse, S - Virginia Tech
We need a physical, nasty presence in the defensive backfield, to tandem with the coverage ability of Jason Allen.
Round 3-
Nate Harris, LB - Louisville
If we are going to continue to try and run the 3-4, then good linebackers are a neccessity
, and Harris could take over for Zach Thomas by 2008.
Round 4-
a:
Jonathan Wade, CB - Tennessee
Eddie Jackson and Michael Lehan can't hold it down; Wade is much more athletic and fluid.
b: (Booker trade) David Ball, WR - New Hampshire
A receiver that actually catches the ball would be a welcome addition to this corps.
Round 5-
a: (To Detroit for Joey Harrington)
b: (James trade) Dan Mozes, C - West Virginia
Hopefully could beat out Joe Berger to improve interior O-Line depth.
c: *(possible comp. pick b/c of Sam Madison) Ben Patrick, TE - Delaware
A good blocking tight end, seems to solve the 3rd TE issues we've been having lately.
Round 6-
a: Cory Anderson, FB - Tennessee
Probably better than Barnes or anyone we've had around here recently.
Round 7-
a:
Justin Hickman, DE - UCLA
Should be able to adeptly fit the DE/OLB role.

So, after all this, the Dolphins seem to have improved in key areas. Miami needs to pony up the dough for some free agents this year, especially because of their deficiencies at so many positions. Here is what their roster would look like for the most part, at least heading into camp.

QB: D. Culpepper, J. Harrington, C. Lemon
RB: R. Brown, R. Williams, T. Minor, P. Cobbs
FB: C. Anderson
WR: C. Chambers, D. Hagan, W. Welker, M. Vick, D. Ball, F. Gibson
TE: R. McMichael, J. Peele, B. Patrick
LT: J. Thomas, A. Alabi
LG: (E. Steinbach), J. Berger
C: R. Hadnot, D. Mozes
RG: L. Shelton, S. McKinney
RT: V. Carey, J. Toledo
DE: K. Carter, M. Roth
DT: K. Vickerson, R. Wright, M. Wright
NT: D.Wilkinson, F. Evans
OE: J. Taylor, J. Hickman
SAM: (A. Thomas), J. Maxwell
MIKE: Z. Thomas, N. Harris
WILL: C. Crowder, D. Pope
CB: W. Allen, (A. Samuel), T. Daniels, A. Goodman, J. Wade
FS: J. Allen, R. Hill
SS: A. Rouse, Y. Bell
K: (J. Brown)
P: D. Jones
LS: J. Denney

I still think, even with these improvements, that this team would be around an 8-8 team, with the possibility of plus or minus 2 wins, and maybe a wildcard birth. But the real contending team would come in the following year, after some of the younger players got more experience. One more caveat to this offseason would be the firing of Mike Mularkey. I'm not sure who's available in the coaching arena, but I wouldn't be opposed to a young, up-and-coming coach from the college ranks to come in and take over as offensive coordinator. This might add a newness to the offense.

Anyway, criticize away.

With the new CBA we are actually allowed to cut, (and they are going to vote on trading), "2" players prior to the start of free agency in February that would split the cap hit in half between 2007 and 2008.
So Zach should definitely be one of those "2" players, who would clear ($6.2mil). The other one should be one of either Chambers, who would clear ($4.5mil) or Mare, who would clear ($1mil).

These could notch us draft picks before the draft respectively.

Then, after free agency begins we can still cut or trade Booker, who would clear ($3.1mil); Harrington, who would clear ($3mil); and/or James, who would clear ($1mil).

In other words, we can actually be much more than the 21mil under the cap we'll have as a result of only having 36 players under contract for 2007.
Look for a total makeover this offseason. I get the butterflies thinking about it!

I would definitely pursue the likes of Steinbach, Briggs, Thomas, and/or Clement. We are sure to hit on one or two of those.

Then, draft a WR in the 1st, a LT in the 2nd, a C in the 3rd, a LB in the 4th, BPA in the 6th, and BPA in the 7th.

Should we obtain any 1st day picks from either Chambers and/or Thomas...then we can add a CB and another LB, a S, or a NT.

Should we obtain any other picks from maybe Booker or Mare... then BPA.

Tupac Shakur said:
I still think, even with these improvements, that this team would be around an 8-8 team, with the possibility of plus or minus 2 wins, and maybe a wildcard birth. But the real contending team would come in the following year, after some of the younger players got more experience.
Anyway, criticize away.

Nah, we are going to use the rest of this year...after our 7th loss, to give some of our Jason Allens and Fred Evans experience.

Until we hit our 7th loss, we are going to keep trying to make the playoffs.

i think there are things that could be different there but for the most part i think it looks pretty good, not a HUGE improvement but may be just enough to turn the corner for us and make us a playoff team, we'll see what happens we still have a lot of time.

Props to the individual who started the post...outstanding effort.

Man if we could land Steinbach and possibly Briggs or Thomas, that would be huge. I'm more in favor of bringing in a young, talented CB thru the draft . . . I think we will be fine with Goodman and Allen and TD . . . but hey if we get Samuel or Clement . . . we would be even better, so that would be great. But yea Steinbach and Briggs . . . man o man, thats what u call big FA signings.

MrEd said:
With the new CBA we are actually allowed to cut, (and they are going to vote on trading), "2" players prior to the start of free agency in February that would split the cap hit in half between 2007 and 2008.
So Zach should definitely be one of those "2" players, who would clear ($6.2mil). The other one should be one of either Chambers, who would clear ($4.5mil) or Mare, who would clear ($1mil).

These could notch us draft picks before the draft respectively.

Then, after free agency begins we can still cut or trade Booker, who would clear ($3.1mil); Harrington, who would clear ($3mil); and/or James, who would clear ($1mil).

In other words, we can actually be much more than the 21mil under the cap we'll have as a result of only having 36 players under contract for 2007.
Look for a total makeover this offseason. I get the butterflies thinking about it!

I would definitely pursue the likes of Steinbach, Briggs, Thomas, and/or Clement. We are sure to hit on one or two of those.

Then, draft a WR in the 1st, a LT in the 2nd, a C in the 3rd, a LB in the 4th, BPA in the 6th, and BPA in the 7th.

Should we obtain any 1st day picks from either Chambers and/or Thomas...then we can add a CB and another LB, a S, or a NT.

Should we obtain any other picks from maybe Booker or Mare... then BPA.

Wow.......just stop talking.....ok so you want to trade/cut Chambers and our best defensive player.....Chambers is still young and has more ability then any wide reciever coming out this year,he's an elite reciever if we'd actually throw the ball to him early instead of throwing 1 long ball in the 1st qt then waiting until we're down in the 4th and then try to get him in the game.....If you do trade Zach it isn't going to be for like anything higher then a 4th and i'd rather keep our best defensive player then risk a 4th on some young kid that most likely won't be able to be named in the same sentence as Thomas even if your comparing him to zach's worst season (which he has yet to have a bad season). Zach THomas has heart and will play until he is physically/emotionally and mentially unable to play.

Sounds pretty good but i have never heard of a team cutting that many players in one off season? Can it be done.?

Ark139954 said:
i wouldnt cut vollie holiday

How can we cut him, if he is going to be a free agent after this season? Do you mean, you would "re-sign" him? That's a different story. But no. Don't count on it. This is why Saban has drafted Evans, both Wrights, and Vickerson for...to replace him.

Then, Carter, who is still under contract can always move into Holiday's vacated spot and then Saban move either Roth or one of the Wrights over to LE.

hellsapoppin said:
Sounds pretty good but i have never heard of a team cutting that many players in one off season? Can it be done.?

Of course...we did more than that last year ourselves.

MARINO1384 said:
Wow.......just stop talking.....ok so you want to trade/cut Chambers and our best defensive player.....Chambers is still young and has more ability then any wide reciever coming out this year,he's an elite reciever if we'd actually throw the ball to him early instead of throwing 1 long ball in the 1st qt then waiting until we're down in the 4th and then try to get him in the game.....If you do trade Zach it isn't going to be for like anything higher then a 4th and i'd rather keep our best defensive player then risk a 4th on some young kid that most likely won't be able to be named in the same sentence as Thomas even if your comparing him to zach's worst season (which he has yet to have a bad season). Zach THomas has heart and will play until he is physically/emotionally and mentially unable to play.

This is not about Zach's worst season. It's about the $6.2mil that we would free up to sign a Briggs??? Plus he's going to be 34??? The 3rd or 4th round pick would just be an added bonus.

Then, the Chambers trade, which would free up $4.5mil, would only be done dependant on what pick we finish with, like a top 5 pick. Meaning we would dangle him for a 1st round pick only if we were already decided to draft his replacement in either a Calvin Johnson or Tedd Ginn Jr.

And then we would draft a LT with the new 1st rounder.:cooldude: :wink:

I can't imagine someone will give us a draft pick for Jeno James.
Nice post, though early.

Back
Top Bottom