Ideal Offseason | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ideal Offseason

MARINO1384 said:
Doesn't matter if i reseached his contract....he'll be making about 5 mil along with Taylor restructing....you'll still be able to afford Briggs and keep Thomas.I'd rather have...
Olb: Briggs
MLB: Zach Thomas
OLB: Crowder

then Briggs,CRowder and some no name.....If you draft someone in the 3rd or 4th with talent like we did with Crowder then i garenteee you that Zach's teaching will bring out the same result.

It wouldn't be some no name. It would be a 1st day pick or another free agent pickup.

If you keep and restructure Zach...then you won't have the $6mil, maybe $2mil. That won't get you Briggs, trust me.
Especially with all the other needs we have.

Then, that would all but eliminate any future trades of Zach. And make the hit bigger on his last year.

It's really too bad that we have to begin looking at the off-season so early. I'm still going to watch and enjoy football for the rest of the year, but the Dolphins really won't do anything meaningful until March. Hopefully we go for youth and make this team young, fast and nasty. We're getting there, it'll take patience, but this team will be good again.

Aqua4Ever04 said:
It's really too bad that we have to begin looking at the off-season so early. I'm still going to watch and enjoy football for the rest of the year, but the Dolphins really won't do anything meaningful until March. Hopefully we go for youth and make this team young, fast and nasty. We're getting there, it'll take patience, but this team will be good again.

part of our problem this year IMO, was horrible chemistry. Chemistry changes from year to year, and last year we had the right mix of vets and young guys. This year, we did not have a good mix. Part of that IMO is Seau, Madison, and Schulters not being on defense (leadership/mentor purposes), and our continuous changes to the o-line.

Last year, we had 3 rookies come in and contribute, but each had an older vet or two to go to for guidance (Ronnie had Ricky, Crowder had Zach and Seau, Daniels had Madison, Jones, and Schulters). Who do Allen and Hagan have to go that can be father figures to them? Evans and Wright atleast have Traylor and Big Daddy. So unlike last year we don't have the vets that can help tutor the young guys.

If we can get an LB and a S better than Spragan and Tillman, I think we'll be better on offense. IMO we also need to bring in a veteran on offense, whether its to be backup or not. We don't have much leadership.

i definetely like what u propose...

but id change it a LITTLE...

I wouldnt release Damion McIntosh. Yes id trade Booker, im not sure if Jeno James would go for a 5th...im sure some team out there would give up a 7th rounder for Olindo Mare...hes a NAME, a NAME that lots of teams would like to have.

Yes id sign Eric Steinbach, Adelius Thomas, Asante Samuel, Josh Brown. They are all younger guys (except Adalius)...im not sure if Asante is a Saban player, hes not real tall or big. I would make a push for Lance Briggs before anyone else tho, if not...then Adalius Thomas would be my choice.

Draft...lets say we draft in the Top 3...

R1. Calvin Johnson ...im fine with McIntosh and Carey at Tackle.

R2: Kyle Young (Center, Fresno State)...Hadnot moves to LG, Shelton stays at RG.

R3: Tim Zbikowski (Safety...Notre Dame)...

R4: If available...Nate Harris (ILB...Louisville) If not, another ILB.

R5: Another wide receiver.

R6: Defensive End

R7: A runningback

TampaFinsFan01 said:
Curious that none of you mentioned the biggest weakness on our team, the coaching staff. We need a new staff...HC, OC, DC at least. We should probably start over completely, but for sure the Head Coach and both coordinators need to go. They have no credibility to rebuild this team.

You can make all the changes in the world and with this coaching staff this team will still suck.

:cooldude:

Tupac Shakur said:
One more caveat to this offseason would be the firing of Mike Mularkey. I'm not sure who's available in the coaching arena, but I wouldn't be opposed to a young, up-and-coming coach from the college ranks to come in and take over as offensive coordinator. This might add a newness to the offense.

In my mind it is simple , we get the best center on the board. Idf not we spin a trade and get one. Just my 2 cents.:dolphins:

MustangFinFan said:
i definetely like what u propose...

but id change it a LITTLE...

I wouldnt release Damion McIntosh. Yes id trade Booker, im not sure if Jeno James would go for a 5th...im sure some team out there would give up a 7th rounder for Olindo Mare...hes a NAME, a NAME that lots of teams would like to have.

Yes id sign Eric Steinbach, Adelius Thomas, Asante Samuel, Josh Brown. They are all younger guys (except Adalius)...im not sure if Asante is a Saban player, hes not real tall or big. I would make a push for Lance Briggs before anyone else tho, if not...then Adalius Thomas would be my choice.

Draft...lets say we draft in the Top 3...

R1. Calvin Johnson ...im fine with McIntosh and Carey at Tackle.

R2: Kyle Young (Center, Fresno State)...Hadnot moves to LG, Shelton stays at RG.

R3: Tim Zbikowski (Safety...Notre Dame)...

R4: If available...Nate Harris (ILB...Louisville) If not, another ILB.

R5: Another wide receiver.

R6: Defensive End

R7: A runningback

i'm all for that draft, but i doubt zbikowski would be available in round 3

Tupac Shakur said:
i'm all for that draft, but i doubt zbikowski would be available in round 3

he and Brandon Merriweather both could be.

Zbikowski is part of a pretty weak secondary, and while he's an above average safety, his best attribute is his return game.

Merriweather has been disappointing scouts, and the Miami brawl lost him a lot of points. Some NFL scouts believe he'll be on the board Round 4.

Tupac Shakur said:
As of right now (Week 8, Bye Week) this would be my idea of an ideal offseason for the Dolphins, keeping it within reason, realistically speaking.

Release/Waive/Do Not Resign:

Sammy Morris, RB
Darian Barnes, FB
Chris Davis, WR
Eric Kimble, WR
Jason Rader, TE
Tim Massaquoi, TE
Damion McIntosh, T
Bennie Anderson, G
Kendyl Jacox, G/C
Trey Darilek, C
Vonnie Holliday, DT
Keith Traylor, NT (Retire?)
Jeff Zgonina, DT (Retire?)
David Bowens, DE
Donnie Spragan, LB
Keith Adams, LB
Keith Newman, LB
Michael Lehan, CB
Eddie Jackson, CB
Will Poole, CB
Travares Tillman, S
Olindo Mare, K

Trade:
Marty Booker, WR for a 4th round draft choice
Jeno James, G for a 5th round draft choice

Sign in Unrestricted Free Agency:
Eric Steinbach, G (Bengals)
Adalius Thomas, LB (Ravens)
Asante Samuel, CB (Patriots)
Josh Brown, K (Seahawks)

Draft:
(Assuming 3rd overall pick)
Round 1-
Joe Thomas, T - Wisconsin
We haven't had a quality LT since the days of Richmond Webb; this guy could solve a lot of problems.
Round 2-
Aaron Rouse, S - Virginia Tech
We need a physical, nasty presence in the defensive backfield, to tandem with the coverage ability of Jason Allen.
Round 3-
Nate Harris, LB - Louisville
If we are going to continue to try and run the 3-4, then good linebackers are a neccessity
, and Harris could take over for Zach Thomas by 2008.
Round 4-
a:
Jonathan Wade, CB - Tennessee
Eddie Jackson and Michael Lehan can't hold it down; Wade is much more athletic and fluid.
b: (Booker trade) David Ball, WR - New Hampshire
A receiver that actually catches the ball would be a welcome addition to this corps.
Round 5-
a: (To Detroit for Joey Harrington)
b: (James trade) Dan Mozes, C - West Virginia
Hopefully could beat out Joe Berger to improve interior O-Line depth.
c: *(possible comp. pick b/c of Sam Madison) Ben Patrick, TE - Delaware
A good blocking tight end, seems to solve the 3rd TE issues we've been having lately.
Round 6-
a: Cory Anderson, FB - Tennessee
Probably better than Barnes or anyone we've had around here recently.
Round 7-
a:
Justin Hickman, DE - UCLA
Should be able to adeptly fit the DE/OLB role.

So, after all this, the Dolphins seem to have improved in key areas. It is asking a lot to sign those four free agent players, but Miami needs to pony up the dough for these guys, especially because of their deficiencies at their respective positions. Here is what their roster would look like for the most part, at least heading into camp.

QB: D. Culpepper, J. Harrington, C. Lemon
RB: R. Brown, R. Williams, T. Minor, P. Cobbs
FB: C. Anderson
WR: C. Chambers, D. Hagan, W. Welker, M. Vick, D. Ball, F. Gibson
TE: R. McMichael, J. Peele, B. Patrick
LT: J. Thomas, A. Alabi
LG: E. Steinbach, J. Berger
C: R. Hadnot, D. Mozes
RG: L. Shelton, S. McKinney
RT: V. Carey, J. Toledo
DE: K. Carter, M. Roth
DT: K. Vickerson, R. Wright, M. Wright
NT: D.Wilkinson, F. Evans
OE: J. Taylor, J. Hickman
SAM: A. Thomas, J. Maxwell
MIKE: Z. Thomas, N. Harris
WILL: C. Crowder, D. Pope
CB: W. Allen, A. Samuel, T. Daniels, A. Goodman, J. Wade
FS: J. Allen, R. Hill
SS: A. Rouse, Y. Bell
K: J. Brown
P: D. Jones
LS: J. Denney

I still think, even with these improvements, that this team would be around an 8-8 team, with the possibility of plus or minus 2 wins, and maybe a wildcard birth. But the real contending team would come in the following year, after some of the younger players got more experience. One more caveat to this offseason would be the firing of Mike Mularkey. I'm not sure who's available in the coaching arena, but I wouldn't be opposed to a young, up-and-coming coach from the college ranks to come in and take over as offensive coordinator. This might add a newness to the offense.

Anyway, criticize away.

I think we should re-sign:
Sammy Morris, RB
Darian Barnes, FB
Damion McIntosh, T - cheap depth
Kendyl Jacox, G/C - see above
Vonnie Holliday, DT
Keith Traylor, NT - our run-stuffing anchor
Keith Adams, LB
David Bowens, DE
Will Poole, CB - if healthy
Travares Tillman, S - if cheap
Olindo Mare, K - if cheap

Not so sure we can get any picks for Booker or James. All those you listed in UFA will likely be re-signed or signed for beyond market price.

But I like the Joe Thomas (if Brady Quinn doesn't wow the scouts at Combine and become this year's must-have pick) and Hickman picks.

ChambersWI said:
part of our problem this year IMO, was horrible chemistry. Chemistry changes from year to year, and last year we had the right mix of vets and young guys. This year, we did not have a good mix. Part of that IMO is Seau, Madison, and Schulters not being on defense (leadership/mentor purposes), and our continuous changes to the o-line.

Last year, we had 3 rookies come in and contribute, but each had an older vet or two to go to for guidance (Ronnie had Ricky, Crowder had Zach and Seau, Daniels had Madison, Jones, and Schulters). Who do Allen and Hagan have to go that can be father figures to them? Evans and Wright atleast have Traylor and Big Daddy. So unlike last year we don't have the vets that can help tutor the young guys.

If we can get an LB and a S better than Spragan and Tillman, I think we'll be better on offense. IMO we also need to bring in a veteran on offense, whether its to be backup or not. We don't have much leadership.

Chemistry is defintley an issue with this football team. I believe the offense was scrambled a little bit too with all new QB's, another new coordinator, shake ups on the o-line and the absense of Ricky.

I think the offense's biggest problem is the change in coordinators seemingly every year. The system gets changed too often and the team can't find an identity.

Stefins said:
Tupac.

My vote for a TOP 5 post of all time.

WELL DONE and thought out!

many thanks

oh, and don't forget to buy my new album coming out nov. 28th

MrEd said:
With the new CBA we are actually allowed to cut, (and they are going to vote on trading), "2" players prior to the start of free agency in February that would split the cap hit in half between 2007 and 2008.

Didn't know that... that is pretty interesting.

Bopkin02 said:
I can't imagine someone will give us a draft pick for Jeno James. Nice post, though early.

Didn't Rick Spielman get hired somewhere? :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom