If stadium vote passes, Dolphins to stay in Miami through at least 2043 | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If stadium vote passes, Dolphins to stay in Miami through at least 2043

You can thumbs down the post about PSLs, but how do you think stadiums that took no public financing (MetLife being the only example in the last 15 years) got built? With the cash from Personal Seat Licenses.

At some point, Joe Robbie Stadium is going to need either a major renovation (what's being proposed) or a replacement. And trends in the NFL strongly, strongly indicate that there will be some public financing, personal seat licenses, or a combination of both. Assuming that this measure does not pass and Ross elects not to privately finance the renovations now, the issue will be front and center for the next owner of the Dolphins in eight to twelve years. And that's when the threat of moving the team will become reality. It's still not likely to happen, but the threat will be used as leverage to beat a better deal (for the team) out of the county.

Or when that time comes, they will simply move out of Miami to another city that will make them an offer they can't refuse.

I don't think it passes and Ross does everything but the roof.

Not as many ppl as the Dolphins. What you are asking the Dolphins to do is to take less than what their counter parts are getting in other cities. I like to compare apples to apples.

A sports franchise is totally different.

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

No all businesses are not the same. I doubt you pay $4 million dollars in property taxes per year with your small business. If you do, you aren't a small business.

Well its not like the Dolphins are the only business paying alot in property taxes so should we just give every business that pays that much the same considerations.
The dolphins help miami just as much as miami helps the dolphins but with or without the dolphins Miami is still a must do destination for people and its not dependent on the dolphins for that.

Or when that time comes, they will simply move out of Miami to another city that will make them an offer they can't refuse.

I don't think it passes and Ross does everything but the roof.

I think that regardless of the outcome of all of this, it IS unlikely that the Dolphins will move any time soon (there are much better candidates to head to Los Angeles, San Antonio, or whichever city decides it wants an NFL team), but stuff like this AEG stadium deal in Los Angeles (before it blew up) is what's going to be used as leverage to force Dade County to pony up more cash with worse terms than it would like. Right now, Steve Ross really doesn't have much leverage after he came out and said he's not moving the team and then started making concessions to the county on the deal.

Ross is in his 70s. He's not going to move the team. In ten, twelve years when he sells the Dolphins, all bets are off and I can guarantee that the new owner probably won't have the net worth of Steve Ross (most NFL owners don't) and will be looking to get the best offer he can.

Well its not like the Dolphins are the only business paying alot in property taxes so should we just give every business that pays that much the same considerations.
The dolphins help miami just as much as miami helps the dolphins but with or without the dolphins Miami is still a must do destination for people and its not dependent on the dolphins for that.

lol yes, and we do. You guys act like cities don't decrease or outright remove taxes to entice business into their cities from time to time. Sorry as far as sport franchises go in Miami, Dade county has done almost nothing to help the Miami Dolphins. Plus I know the property taxes I pay for my properties in Miami aren't being asked to be used to renovate the stadium. People who visit hotels while on vacation will pay an extra %1 tax, bringing it to a HUGE 7%. lol Some states like New York, I believe have a 17% bed tax. I'm not sure why so many ppl have their shorts in such a twist about this.

The opposition is all about the con job the Marlins did to the people of Miami. I refuse to mix the TWO franchises together.

As I stated earlier, without the Miami Dolphins odds are there is no Miami Heat, Marlins or the Panthers in Miami today. It's about time Dade county acted like they actually appreciate the Miami Dolphins. If they don't treat this owner right, I'm not convinced he won't move to greener fields.

It doesn't really matter to me. I don't live in Miami any more. I'll follow the Dolphins whether they are in Miami on the moon. I'll miss the 8 games I attend, but I can get by watching them on my HDTV.

good luck in moving the team to maybe the couple of locations that actually can support an nfl team. Im sorry the city of Miami is the reason for all of his Ross's so called ills. I missed the memo has he lost a ton of money or even any money. I guess he is willing to take an even bigger loss to move the team or try to sell the team because the value of the team is included in the stadium. I think this plan sound better and a 33 split between nfl, ross and state would be the fairest and in the best interest of all parties involved. I also think iot was quite slimey how Ross tried to push this through with out the voters having their say. It would be better if all parties were more honest and open and the NFL and ROss would quit trying to give way overinflated numbers for justifying public funds. I think pure honesty would be refreshing rather than the blackmail and lies. The city of Miami and the dolphins have worked hand in hand since the inception so please lets quit acting like the dolphins who make lots of money and the owner who makes lots of money are some kind of victim here

I think that regardless of the outcome of all of this, it IS unlikely that the Dolphins will move any time soon (there are much better candidates to head to Los Angeles, San Antonio, or whichever city decides it wants an NFL team), but stuff like this AEG stadium deal in Los Angeles (before it blew up) is what's going to be used as leverage to force Dade County to pony up more cash with worse terms than it would like. Right now, Steve Ross really doesn't have much leverage after he came out and said he's not moving the team and then started making concessions to the county on the deal.

Ross is in his 70s. He's not going to move the team. In ten, twelve years when he sells the Dolphins, all bets are off and I can guarantee that the new owner probably won't have the net worth of Steve Ross (most NFL owners don't) and will be looking to get the best offer he can.

Yes, and he will have no reason to do as Huizenga did, which was to find an owner that promised to keep the Dolphins in Miami. If I was Ross and this doesn't go his way at that point when it comes time, I sell the Dolphins to highest bidder, no matter where the new owner wanted to move the franchise. In fact, he may be so pissed he looks for an owner that will move the franchise. Even if he did that, I wouldn't hold that against him.

As far as the leverage, he says he won't move the Phins, but we always hear if the bill passes they will promise to keep the Phins in Miami until 2040 something. I don't think this is an idle bluff. He's saying it, while not saying it.

good luck in moving the team to maybe the couple of locations that actually can support an nfl team. Im sorry the city of Miami is the reason for all of his Ross's so called ills. I missed the memo has he lost a ton of money or even any money. I guess he is willing to take an even bigger loss to move the team or try to sell the team because the value of the team is included in the stadium. I think this plan sound better and a 33 split between nfl, ross and state would be the fairest and in the best interest of all parties involved. I also think iot was quite slimey how Ross tried to push this through with out the voters having their say. It would be better if all parties were more honest and open and the NFL and ROss would quit trying to give way overinflated numbers for justifying public funds. I think pure honesty would be refreshing rather than the blackmail and lies. The city of Miami and the dolphins have worked hand in hand since the inception so please lets quit acting like the dolphins who make lots of money and the owner who makes lots of money are some kind of victim here

No the city has not moved hand in hand with the Dolphins. The city basically insured Joe Robbie went bankrupt. What a disgusting thing. Miami IMO has done very little to nothing to make the Miami Dolphins franchise feel at home. But they sure as hell accept the tax money and jobs they bring to the area. Not to mention the other franchises that came to Miami all owe a lot to Joe Robbie, not Dade county. Only a dumb business man uses his own money, look at Joe Robbie. I think Ross knows enough about Robbie that he won't allow that to happen.

lol yes, and we do. You guys act like cities don't decrease or outright remove taxes to entice business into their cities from time to time. Sorry as far as sport franchises go in Miami, Dade county has done almost nothing to help the Miami Dolphins. Plus I know the property taxes I pay for my properties in Miami aren't being asked to be used to renovate the stadium. People who visit hotels while on vacation will pay an extra %1 tax, bringing it to a HUGE 7%. lol Some states like New York, I believe have a 17% bed tax. I'm not sure why so many ppl have their shorts in such a twist about this.

The opposition is all about the con job the Marlins did to the people of Miami. I refuse to mix the TWO franchises together.

As I stated earlier, without the Miami Dolphins odds are there is no Miami Heat, Marlins or the Panthers in Miami today. It's about time Dade county acted like they actually appreciate the Miami Dolphins. If they don't treat this owner right, I'm not convinced he won't move to greener fields.

It doesn't really matter to me. I don't live in Miami any more. I'll follow the Dolphins whether they are in Miami on the moon. I'll miss the 8 games I attend, but I can get by watching them on my HDTV.

You are seriously high if u dont think MLB, NHL or NBA would have considered the 7th largest metro area in the United States for a franchise

You are seriously high if u dont think MLB, NHL or NBA would have considered the 7th largest metro area in the United States for a franchise

And you are smoking what you are selling if you don't think the Dolphins success in Miami played a major role in getting those franchises there. I lived in Miami when the HEAT were going after a franchise. They sure won't shy to mention the Dolphins franchise and Mr. Robbie as many times as they possibly could. And when the Marlins were going after their franchise they weren't shy to mention the Dolphins and the HEAT. Specifically the Marlins. It's doubtful they get the franchise without JRS, the stadium.

And this is what you chose to answer from my previous post? Why not address the bed tax and how low it remains compared to states like NY? Yeah!

No the city has not moved hand in hand with the Dolphins. The city basically insured Joe Robbie went bankrupt. What a disgusting thing. Miami IMO has done very little to nothing to make the Miami Dolphins franchise feel at home. But they sure as hell accept the tax money and jobs they bring to the area. Not to mention the other franchises that came to Miami all owe a lot to Joe Robbie, not Dade county. Only a dumb business man uses his own money, look at Joe Robbie. I think Ross knows enough about Robbie that he won't allow that to happen.

Robbie was not even close to bankruptcy, him dying caused all kinds of issues and estate taxes are usually quite high. His net worth at death was about a 100 million. These issues caused a need to sell the team for his family members. the real issue in Miami is attendance which losing damn sure doesnt cure Attendance is way down over historical numbers, some of the worst in club history.

Robbie was not even close to bankruptcy, him dying caused all kinds of issues and estate taxes are usually quite high. His net worth at death was about a 100 million. These issues caused a need to sell the team for his family members. the real issue in Miami is attendance which losing damn sure doesnt cure Attendance is way down over historical numbers, some of the worst in club history.

Wow. If Robbie had some help to build the stadium maybe his family wouldn't of had to sell the team to pay off his death taxes. Don't even get me started on how unfair our current death tax law is.

I think it's beyond unfair what Joe Robbie had to do to his family so the city of Miami could continue to keep that tax money rolling in for corrupt politicians to waste.

Wow. If Robbie had some help to build the stadium maybe his family wouldn't of had to sell the team to pay off his death taxes. Don't even get me started on how unfair our current death tax law is.

I think it's beyond unfair what Joe Robbie had to do to his family so the city of Miami could continue to keep that tax money rolling in for corrupt politicians to waste.

The death tax is the unfair part not the city of miami. Most of the time when an owner dies the team is sold at one point due to the death tax hit which is substantial.

The death tax is the unfair part not the city of miami. Most of the time when an owner dies the team is sold at one point due to the death tax hit which is substantial.

That doesn't change the fact that the Miami Dolphins have had a harder time of it when compared to other NFL franchises when it comes to the help they have received from the city.

For me it's about damn time the city actually did something to show they appreciate the Miami Dolphins. We're talking about tax money that is not going to come out of the pockets of the residents of Miami. Just how stupid is that? Why is there even a debate about this?

I hope the team moves to a city where the fans arent so fair weather.

Back
Top Bottom