ILB Chris Borland, Wisconsin in round two??? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ILB Chris Borland, Wisconsin in round two???

I like borland a lot, but not in the 2nd rnd.

You can't take a Ilb in the second round, who is undersized and a mismatch in the pass game.

xXwarXx - Did you get brainwashed by Jeff Ireland that ILBs have to be a certain height and weight? Did it get taught in Drafting 101 on the NFL Network? Why is it that so many otherwise really smart Dolphin fans are so inflexible re the height/weight basic parameters and the accompanying performance metrics? At what point do you consider actual game performance and are prepared to overlook the height/weight preferences?
Anyone who watched our linebackers last year could see for the massive investment, they were weak at tackling, and Philip Wheeler, in particular, in some games was terrible. Now that Ireland has left the building we have a chance to get a MIKE linebacker who can make a lot of tackles. It is the obvious deficiency of the entire Defense. Our D-line and our DBs are decent.
Tackling machines don't come as cheap as they used to. If Borland is as good as his tackling looks, he is projected to go in the 2nd round. That's the market rate. Last year Buffalo got their tackling machine, Kiko Alonso in the 2nd round and he improved their entire Defense.

Kiko Alonso is 6'3.

It's rare to see a guy with Borland's size and athleticism thrive in the NFL. For him to earn and keep a starting spot in the NFL, his instincts and football IQ will have to be elite. I'd consider him in the 4th, but there will probably be players there that I prefer.

Kiko Alonso is 6'3.

It's rare to see a guy with Borland's size and athleticism thrive in the NFL. For him to earn and keep a starting spot in the NFL, his instincts and football IQ will have to be elite. I'd consider him in the 4th, but there will probably be players there that I prefer.

Cough....Zach Thomas.....just saying.

xXwarXx - Did you get brainwashed by Jeff Ireland that ILBs have to be a certain height and weight? Did it get taught in Drafting 101 on the NFL Network? Why is it that so many otherwise really smart Dolphin fans are so inflexible re the height/weight basic parameters and the accompanying performance metrics? At what point do you consider actual game performance and are prepared to overlook the height/weight preferences?
Anyone who watched our linebackers last year could see for the massive investment, they were weak at tackling, and Philip Wheeler, in particular, in some games was terrible. Now that Ireland has left the building we have a chance to get a MIKE linebacker who can make a lot of tackles. It is the obvious deficiency of the entire Defense. Our D-line and our DBs are decent.
Tackling machines don't come as cheap as they used to. If Borland is as good as his tackling looks, he is projected to go in the 2nd round. That's the market rate. Last year Buffalo got their tackling machine, Kiko Alonso in the 2nd round and he improved their entire Defense.

Most undersized players don't excel in the NFL. Like I said, I really like Borland, there's a ton to like about him. But you NEVER draft undersized players high in the draft, too risky.

The guy already has a string of injuries in college. Most likely it will be worse in the NFL.

That's just the reality of life in the NFL. Stop looking at the few undersized players who made it and look back at all the players who were incredibly talented who were small, and didn't make it, a lot of these guys couldn't even make it through camp let alone there rookie contracts.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

Zach Thomas was faster than Borland is, and even with that, he was the exception. If you build your draft strategy on finding the exceptions, you're going to have a bad team.

This

Wow, this kid looks impressive. Filling holes, tackling behind the line of scrimmage, always grabbing trying to create fumbles, intercepting passes like Zach...would love to have this guy on the team.

LB needs to be either our first or second round pick. Our LB's currently are very sub-standard. Of course, is still of the utmost importance (as well as another offensive playmaker in my mind TE/WR).

I like Mosely in the first round. Other then that I would wait till 4th round or later to draft ILB.

This is easily the most difficult prospect to put a value grade on I have had in years...Chris Borland makes my head hurt

This is easily the most difficult prospect to put a value grade on I have had in years...Chris Borland makes my head hurt

I definitely get that. But in the first 3 rounds (at least), you're going to have options that are easy to like. Too many productive football players with high-end tools to look at Borland before the 4th. I wouldn't bet against him, but I wouldn't bet on him with one of our top 3 picks.

I definitely get that. But in the first 3 rounds (at least), you're going to have options that are easy to like. Too many productive football players with high-end tools to look at Borland before the 4th. I wouldn't bet against him, but I wouldn't bet on him with one of our top 3 picks.

It will be may 7th and I still won't have decided...instincts are paramount at lb and he's got em in spades but man he's undersized ok short armed ehhh and an average at best athlete...can he play 3 downs in the pros hell if I know and that just keeps me from being able to peg his value...you could end up with athletically a core special teamer here if it goes south...more likely though the safe bet is 2 down mike I guess...

But I can get James Morris early day 3 instinctual better size every bit as athletic early day 3 for a worst case 2 down mike...4th round Morris should be there

Looks like Chris Borland may be dropping in the draft because of his shoulder...from Twitter:

Bob McGinn ‏@BobMcGinn 45m
#Badgers ILB Chris Borland off one NFL team board with left shoulder problem. Has had two ops already on it; team M.D. feels he's need third

Looks like Chris Borland may be dropping in the draft because of his shoulder...from Twitter:

#Badgers ILB Chris Borland off one NFL team board with left shoulder problem. Has had two ops already on it; team M.D. feels he's need third

Well that sucks......

Welcome to Mia Mr. Borland.

Geez, you can't help but feel nervous. Considering with the other GM-guy we would likely draft X-hurt player because of "apparent" value.

2 operations already definitely a red flag...although the timing of this makes you wonder

Back
Top Bottom