I'll Play Jeff Ireland

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RealDriscoll, Feb 21, 2008.

1. RealDriscoll

RealDriscoll Still Perfect.. and You're Not.

Free Agency

1) Alan Faneca OG-He will cost us a lot but we have a lot of money to spend and upgrading our line is key to our success.

2) Flozell Adams OT-Adding Adams and Faneca would take our line from average to among the league's best. May not be a spring chicken but he has some premium gas left in the tank.

3) Issac Sopoaga DT- Might not be quite the player that Albert Haynesworth is but is a great, young alternative.

4) Keyshawn Johnson WR-We need some receivers and Keyshawn might not be a game breaker but defiantly is reliable. We need an ultimate possession guy and that's what the Key brings.

5)Keith Davis S- Parcells kind of guy.

Draft:

Trade Jason Taylor to the Vikings for thier 2nd Round Pick

1) Chris Long DE Virginia
    2A: Dominique Rodgers Cromatie CB Tennessee State
    2B:(Vikings): Curtis Lofton LB Oklahoma
    2C: (Chargers) Devin Thomas WR Michigan State
    3:Branden Albert OG Virginia
    4: Josh Barrett S Arizona State
    6: Kellen Davis TE Michigan State
    7: Sam Keller QB Nebraska

2008 Miami Dolphins Roster

QB: John Beck/Matt Baker/ Sam Keller
    RB: Ronnie Brown/ Ricky Williams/ Lorenzo Booker
    FB: Reagen Mauia
    TE: David Martin/ Kellen Davis/ Justin Peele
    LT: Flozell Adams/Julius Wilson
    LG: Alan Faneca/ Tala Esera
    C: Samson Satele
    RG: Branden Albert/Drew Mormino
    RT: Vernon Carey/ Mike Rosenthal
    WR: Ted Ginn Jr/ Derek Hagan/ Greg Camirillo
    WR: Keyshawn Johnson/Devin Thomas

DE: Chris Long/ Rod Wright/
    DE: Matt Roth/ Vonnie Holliday
    DT: Issac Sopoaga/ Paul Solia/ Steve Fifita
    OLB: Joey Porter
    ILB: Channing Crowder/ Derrick Pope
    ILB: Curtis Lofton/ Kelvin Smith
    OLB: Quentin Moses/Abe Wright / Ed Miles
    CB: Dominique Rodgers Cromatire/ Mike Lehan
    CB: Will Allen/ Andre Goodman/Travis Daniels
    S: Jason Allen/ Keith Davis
    S: Renaldo Hill / Courtny Bryan
    K: Jay Feeley
    P: Brandon Fields
    LS: John Denney

2. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

Not bad... Although Faneca AND Flozell would probably put us in salary cap hell in the future..

What i cant get my head around is why in the world would you want David Martin starting at TE again... NOOOOO thank you. I dont even understand why he is still on the roster. Peele outplayed him all season when givent the chance

3. Marco_r31

Marco_r31 Active Member

how did we get 3 second round picks and I think bradon albert is projected late first early second round pick

4. SabanHater

SabanHater ***** in the House!

yeah, David Martin should have been thrown from the plain on the ride home from Cincy.

5. Bruzer

Bruzer FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I think he gets the idea for another 2nd round pick from trading jason taylor to the vikings. Not sure but i think thats what it is.

6. TurkishFin99

TurkishFin99 Well-Known Member

Martin doesn't even need to be near the practice squad....

7. RealDriscoll

RealDriscoll Still Perfect.. and You're Not.

Well if you read the post, we trade Jason Taylor to the Vikings for their 2nd Rounder.

Projections mean jack to me. I see projections every year and they are always wrong. I have Albert as the 3rd Best Guard in the draft....

1) Chilo Rachal USC
    2) Roy Schuening Oregon State
    3) Branden Albert Virginia
    4) Eric Young Tennessee
    5) Robert Felton Arkansas
    6) Mike McGlynn Pittsburgh

8. burger13

burger13 FinHeaven VIP

QB - position is a disaster.....Beck may be great, but if he's not or if he gets injured.....there is nothing behind him.

TE - only adda 6th round pick to a position that was horrible last year. It requires more attention than that.

OL - No hadnot? That would be a mistake by the front office IMO. Also, Rosenthal as the only veteran backup wouldn't make me feel too good.

WR - Keyshawn? No. Second round rookie and a player who was out of the the league in 2007 is not enough to get the WR's where they need to be. there are good FA options out there and I would be SHOCKED if we don't sign one.

OLB - scary. the only proven player is Porter. Moses has never played standing up...the guys behind him are huge question marks.

S - No Yeremiah Bell? He shouldn't be expensive, I would really like for them to bring him back.

Otherwise, good job. :up:

9. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

He traded Jason Taylor to the Vikings for their 2nd round pick.

10. dolpns13

lol...Isnt this what this whole thread is? One big projection? :err:

11. JFoxx

JFoxx Seasoned Veteran

Just out of curiosity, why would the Vikings trade away their 2nd round pick for JT ? They have one of (if not the best) run D in the NFL. They are going to be looking for DB's and maybe a true LB. I know it's just fantasy-land, but let's at least pick a team that has a need for JT. Also, while those F/A additions make us a better team immediately, it puts us in financial ??? and makes us instantly an older team, that will have to replace those guys in a couple years and put us right back to where we are now. I don't see that happening. I see us adding some veteran guys to shore up some positions (until the younger guys can take over), but it will not be the high priced guys who kill us with big cap numbers for several years.

12. dolpns13

They dont need LB THAT bad. Greenway is a true linebacker and will probably be a beast for them for a very long time. After Udeze being diagnosed with Lukemia they might want a DE so Taylor could fit there...

They do have more pressing needs though now that they cut Smith theyre going to need a safety... but IMO WR is the biggest need for them. They need a WR in the worst way and now.

13. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Banned Hammered

we can sign faneca, adams, samuel, and briggs and still not be close to salary cap 'hell'

14. Virginia99

Virginia99 Scout Team

Can somebody please help answer this question, if Isaac Sopaga is a "great" young NG, why would San Francisco, who runs a 3-4 let him get away?

Most these persepective free agents who we've talked about since the season ended, were either tagged or resigned. How many really good ones get away? Maybe Feneca or Adams? These guys are on the plus side of 30. Don't get me wrong, I will take both of them and feel good about the left side of the line for 2 years but I think free agency is a lot of much ado about nothing. Most of the guys who actually hit the market, have some kind of glitch whether it's age, way too much money demanded (Samuel), injury, or they just aren't that good.

Anyway, somebody please tell me why I should get excited of Sopaga.
    Thanks,

15. kbeath

kbeath Come on fellas in 07

Sorry this is not very good....
    Baker wont be on the team and if we draft a qb he will be pract. squad at best. Moses is not going to be starting. Bell will prob. be resigned for cheap. We prob. wont even run a 3/4 and if Martin starts at te entering the season i wont post again all season. I know its fantasy but there are some things that clearly wont happen.

16. dolpns13

I agree, sure we wont be, not this year or even next year at least... But in 5 or 6 years from now when all those salaries are accelerated, (also taking into account the 100 billion dollar rookie contracts that are only going to keep getting larger unless something is done) you can bet we sure as hell will be.

17. JFoxx

JFoxx Seasoned Veteran

Actually I was referring to Leber and Henderson. Decent on run plays, but not the greatest in pass coverage. I agree they will need another DB to fill a couple holes they have, but I'm not sold they need a WR (again). If they keep concentrating on WR every year, they're going to be the next Detroit.
    But getting off track here - Miami needs, in my opinion are too many and too deep to try and fix with older more expensive FA's. If that's the route we were going to go, we would have just kept Zach and asked him to restructure or take a pay cut (along with a couple other guys).

18. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

It depends on how the contract is worded and if it is front or rear loaded.

19. dolpns13

I agree, but look at just about every player salary we see now, as the years go on, their salary, and cap hit increases. Most contracts nowadays are back loaded because GM's dont want to pay all that money up front.

20. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

If you are Ireland I'm Parcells..., no I'm Donald Trump and you are fired....

Why would you put all that coin into two aged players..., maybe one but not both..., build from the draft...

21. burger13

burger13 FinHeaven VIP

but with all this cap room...a smart GM will not 'borrow from the future' by heavily backloading contracts.

Best thing about the Lehan signing.....almost half the total contract (2.1 of 4.95) paid in the first year!!

22. burger13

burger13 FinHeaven VIP

how many draft picks do you think we have?

Not as many as we have holes to fill!!

23. FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard FearTheBurke

you're not getting albert with anything later then our 2a, otherwise good mock. if you want a guard there take someone like Heath Benedict or Mike McGlynn

24. dolpns13

I agree... The best scenario would be IMO niether front loading nore backloading and try to make the contract as even as possible. But i know that is nearly impossible depending on how much talent you need on the team and players being greedy as hell and GN's being stingy as hell

25. like2god

like2god I LOVE FinHeaven

You are correct. Not only would we have to overpay to get those players here, but we would more than likely do what most teams do and put a large chunk of that money into the signing bonus or "roster bonus". In 2 or 3 years when Flozell needs to be cut because of declining skills and huge contract, he will no longer be on the team, but his contract will be for the remaining years on the deal.

Some people feel that we have an unlimited amount of money to spend without thinking about resigning our own players in the coming years, team chemistry or how it will effect the cap. All they see is $40 million and their eyes light up.

Spending big money on a guy that will only be here for 2 or 3 years and won't even be here when we are ready to compete for a playoff spot isn't a wise use of our resources. We can sign Faneca, Adams, Samuel and Briggs and still not be a playoff team.

Looking back at Parcells history, he knows how to build a winner and that doesn't include ridiculous spending in year one.

26. dolpns13

Exactly... People need to realize that this is not how it should be done...And you dont have to look any further than our rivals in the Boston area. Look how good they have succeeded without resigning players or giving huge FA contracts (until AT last year). If you take a look at their salary cap, Id bet the house that they have little to no dead cap money.

In that, I wouldnt mind signing 1 big FA, but no more than that. We sign 1 big FA, then sign good medial depth players, then draft the stars, is how it needs to be done. Not signing Faneca, Adams, Trufant, Samuels, Hall, Briggs and so on in one offseason like half the threads I see have us doing.. We do that, and yeah, we'll be good for a couple years, then its back to the salary cap hell we were in back in the early 2000's... It took us years to get out of that, and now people want to put us right back into that situation again... No thanks!!! Thats not the way to build a winner. We do that, tnad the same people who were calling for all these huge FA signings will be calling the FO stupid and bashing them for doing it.

27. Stringer Bell

What do you think the salary cap will be in 5 years?

You sign players now, and their salary will seem relatively cheap in 5 years. The NFL is growing at such a pace that the salary cap will be much higher. Plus you also factor inflation.

I can't think of any team in the NFL right now that is salary cap hell. The Redskins might be a little over the cap, but every year they are able to get under and sign whatever FAs are available.

I just do not see the salary cap being an issue. I don't think that we should sign a lot of FAs, but that has to do more with production/talent, not salary.

28. dolpns13

Yes, but player salaries are inflating at a higher rate than the salary cap. Thats why teams cannot sign every FA that they want. The main reason why the salary cap has to be increased every year is not so much the FA's but all this garaunteed money that goes to high rookie draft picks.

I just will never be able to understand this train of thought...Like I said in another thread, its this type of thinking that got us in salary cap hell during the wanny spielman era and I think it is safe to say that the majority of people do not want us in that position again. The salary cap is a very real and tangible thing and absolutely MUST be managed the right way

29. The Standard

The Standard Rookie

Bubba Franks just got released. That might help our TE position.....

30. TexanPhinatic

TexanPhinatic I Pity the Fool

Frankly I can see some kind of Contract caps put in place in the next few years, especially for the draft if they keep rising. Im sorry, but teams at the bottom are just killed when they sink millions into a player who turns out to actually suck.
    Plus with the salaries of some former cheaper positions like guard skyrocketing, there is so much money being thrown at players, its just getting kinda rediculous. I dont feel like punishing players for doing well and being talented, but nor do I want to see teams and agents keep raising prices year after year after year. Eventually it will just be to much.

I dont think a contract limit would have to be harsh, just something to chop back the escalation a little, especially for rookies who havent proved jack in the NFL.

31. like2god

like2god I LOVE FinHeaven

Just to add to this....

Say we sign Adams to a 5 year deal and do what most teams do by giving him bonus money. Now 3 years into the contract we need to cut him because of declining skills and his huge contract. He may be gone from the team, but his bonus money still counts against our cap for the remaining 2 years. Now we are faced with having to find his replacement and pay him his salary, as well as having to pay the remainder of Flozell's money. So we'd be paying for two players, but only one would be with us. That's how the Redskins got into trouble, they signed alot of players to big money deals and it bit them in the butt 2, 3, 4 years down the road.

We are finally doing this thing right, why handicap ourselves from the very beginning?

32. dolpns13

No thanks. Too many injury issues, and after DM, no more GB TE's for a while

33. dolpns13

I know... dead cap space simple destroys teams... At one point in the early 2000's we were leading the league in dead cap space. we were paying salaries for about 4 or 5 players that werent on the roster.

Screw that!

34. late again

late again Pro Bowler

Well yeah, I'm with you on that. For that matter remember how much Dockery and those other OGs (none ever having even been to a Pro Bowl) got last year? I think it's safe to say that Fanaca is going to think he's worth more. Plus Samuel is going to think he's worth more than Clements. Both of those guys are going to demand huge signing bonuses. So whether we pay them this year or next or whenever they'd have their's coming. In fact, both of them may end up with record breaking kind of contracts.
    As to the original topic.....where is our depth on O-line? Mormino and Esara????? C'mon now!

35. Stringer Bell

no way are salaries inflating higher than the cap right now. show me a team other than the redskins that is cutting players to get under the cap. the cap is going up faster than owners are willing to spend money. that is the reality of the situation. look at how far teams are under the cap. there are maybe two over the cap at this point.

The cap being increased is not affected by rookie contracts or FAs. It is increased based upon revenue. So as the league makes more money, so do the players.

So when you look at a contract like Clements you say 'he got overpaid, he got too big a piece of the pie'. But what you have to realize is that the pie keeps getting bigger and bigger, so naturally the pieces will be bigger.

Again, I'm not really advocating signing a lot of FAs. Generally, if a player isn't re-signed, it is for a reason. Only FA I have said I would look at is Samuels, and I don't think NE or the NYJ will let him get away.

36. dolpns13

I agree, they definately werent worth the contracts they got. Faneca is more productive and a much better OLman than all three of those guys. Clements got 10 mil/year if im not mistaken and I am sure Samuels is going to want more than that. He isnt worth that type of mney either.

37. Ga. FinFan

Ga. FinFan FinHeaven VIP

You bring up the Redskins and you just answered your own post as to why not to go in that direction. Are the Redskins winners? NO. They build thru FA not the draft. Bad practice, think Don Shula and the 95 Dolphins. FA are not the way to build a team and should only be used to bring in that special player (aka the Pats in 07) to get them back to the BIG game. Sure we need FA's in some areas because we are talent poor but not the high ticket guys because by the time we are any good they won't be: good or here.

Plus who is to say what the CAP will be in 5 years, thinking like that will get you broke; or worse.

38. Stringer Bell

The Redskins actually have made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years. They haven't done much though, because of a number of reasons, salary cap being the least of which.

Their coaching has not been very good. Joe Gibbs was lost. They were not able to evaluate talent properly. While they signed Archuleta to a big contract, it was not the money that screwed them, it was the fact that Archuleta was horrible in their system. They also traded the best CB in the game (Bailey), for a RB that two seasons ago was splitting time with Ladell Betts.

So, yes, the Redskins may not be a perennial powerhouse, but it has nothing to do with their payroll.

39. Stringer Bell

Who is to say? I would think economists. It is what most of our nation's economic policy is based upon; projections.

Salary Caps for the last 7 years:

2001: $67.4 M
    2002: $71.1 M
    2003: $75.007 M
    2004: $80.582 M
    2005: $85.5 M 2006: $102 M
    2007: $109 M
    2008: $116 M

So take into account the fact that the last Super Bowl was the highest rated television show in 30 years, you would assume the next TV deal will be more lucrative than the last one. Also factor in the NFLNetwork, which has become very popular. NFL revenues will continue to grow, atleast for the next 5-6 years. When a democratic president is elected, the growth may slow, but the effects will not be seen for a few years. But there should be growth nonetheless.

40. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

This isn't gonna turn around in one freakin year so might as well get over that right now... This ain't Madden...