I'll Play Jeff Ireland | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I'll Play Jeff Ireland

Yes, but player salaries are inflating at a higher rate than the salary cap. Thats why teams cannot sign every FA that they want. The main reason why the salary cap has to be increased every year is not so much the FA's but all this garaunteed money that goes to high rookie draft picks.

I just will never be able to understand this train of thought...Like I said in another thread, its this type of thinking that got us in salary cap hell during the wanny spielman era and I think it is safe to say that the majority of people do not want us in that position again. The salary cap is a very real and tangible thing and absolutely MUST be managed the right way

Just to add to this....

Say we sign Adams to a 5 year deal and do what most teams do by giving him bonus money. Now 3 years into the contract we need to cut him because of declining skills and his huge contract. He may be gone from the team, but his bonus money still counts against our cap for the remaining 2 years. Now we are faced with having to find his replacement and pay him his salary, as well as having to pay the remainder of Flozell's money. So we'd be paying for two players, but only one would be with us. That's how the Redskins got into trouble, they signed alot of players to big money deals and it bit them in the butt 2, 3, 4 years down the road.

We are finally doing this thing right, why handicap ourselves from the very beginning?

Just to add to this....

Say we sign Adams to a 5 year deal and do what most teams do by giving him bonus money. Now 3 years into the contract we need to cut him because of declining skills and his huge contract. He may be gone from the team, but his bonus money still counts against our cap for the remaining 2 years. Now we are faced with having to find his replacement and pay him his salary, as well as having to pay the remainder of Flozell's money. So we'd be paying for two players, but only one would be with us. That's how the Redskins got into trouble, they signed alot of players to big money deals and it bit them in the butt 2, 3, 4 years down the road.

We are finally doing this thing right, why handicap ourselves from the very beginning?

I know... dead cap space simple destroys teams... At one point in the early 2000's we were leading the league in dead cap space. we were paying salaries for about 4 or 5 players that werent on the roster.

Screw that!

Exactly... People need to realize that this is not how it should be done...And you dont have to look any further than our rivals in the Boston area. Look how good they have succeeded without resigning players or giving huge FA contracts (until AT last year). If you take a look at their salary cap, Id bet the house that they have little to no dead cap money.

In that, I wouldnt mind signing 1 big FA, but no more than that. We sign 1 big FA, then sign good medial depth players, then draft the stars, is how it needs to be done. Not signing Faneca, Adams, Trufant, Samuels, Hall, Briggs and so on in one offseason like half the threads I see have us doing.. We do that, and yeah, we'll be good for a couple years, then its back to the salary cap hell we were in back in the early 2000's... It took us years to get out of that, and now people want to put us right back into that situation again... No thanks!!! Thats not the way to build a winner. We do that, tnad the same people who were calling for all these huge FA signings will be calling the FO stupid and bashing them for doing it.

Well yeah, I'm with you on that. For that matter remember how much Dockery and those other OGs (none ever having even been to a Pro Bowl) got last year? I think it's safe to say that Fanaca is going to think he's worth more. Plus Samuel is going to think he's worth more than Clements. Both of those guys are going to demand huge signing bonuses. So whether we pay them this year or next or whenever they'd have their's coming. In fact, both of them may end up with record breaking kind of contracts.
As to the original topic.....where is our depth on O-line? Mormino and Esara????? C'mon now!

Yes, but player salaries are inflating at a higher rate than the salary cap. Thats why teams cannot sign every FA that they want. The main reason why the salary cap has to be increased every year is not so much the FA's but all this garaunteed money that goes to high rookie draft picks.

I just will never be able to understand this train of thought...Like I said in another thread, its this type of thinking that got us in salary cap hell during the wanny spielman era and I think it is safe to say that the majority of people do not want us in that position again. The salary cap is a very real and tangible thing and absolutely MUST be managed the right way

no way are salaries inflating higher than the cap right now. show me a team other than the redskins that is cutting players to get under the cap. the cap is going up faster than owners are willing to spend money. that is the reality of the situation. look at how far teams are under the cap. there are maybe two over the cap at this point.

The cap being increased is not affected by rookie contracts or FAs. It is increased based upon revenue. So as the league makes more money, so do the players.

So when you look at a contract like Clements you say 'he got overpaid, he got too big a piece of the pie'. But what you have to realize is that the pie keeps getting bigger and bigger, so naturally the pieces will be bigger.

Again, I'm not really advocating signing a lot of FAs. Generally, if a player isn't re-signed, it is for a reason. Only FA I have said I would look at is Samuels, and I don't think NE or the NYJ will let him get away.

Well yeah, I'm with you on that. For that matter remember how much Dockery and those other OGs (none ever having even been to a Pro Bowl) got last year? I think it's safe to say that Fanaca is going to think he's worth more. Plus Samuel is going to think he's worth more than Clements. Both of those guys are going to demand huge signing bonuses. So whether we pay them this year or next or whenever they'd have their's coming. In fact, both of them may end up with record breaking kind of contracts.
As to the original topic.....where is our depth on O-line? Mormino and Esara????? C'mon now!

I agree, they definately werent worth the contracts they got. Faneca is more productive and a much better OLman than all three of those guys. Clements got 10 mil/year if im not mistaken and I am sure Samuels is going to want more than that. He isnt worth that type of mney either.

What do you think the salary cap will be in 5 years?

You sign players now, and their salary will seem relatively cheap in 5 years. The NFL is growing at such a pace that the salary cap will be much higher. Plus you also factor inflation.

I can't think of any team in the NFL right now that is salary cap hell. The Redskins might be a little over the cap, but every year they are able to get under and sign whatever FAs are available.

I just do not see the salary cap being an issue. I don't think that we should sign a lot of FAs, but that has to do more with production/talent, not salary.

You bring up the Redskins and you just answered your own post as to why not to go in that direction. Are the Redskins winners? NO. They build thru FA not the draft. Bad practice, think Don Shula and the 95 Dolphins. FA are not the way to build a team and should only be used to bring in that special player (aka the Pats in 07) to get them back to the BIG game. Sure we need FA's in some areas because we are talent poor but not the high ticket guys because by the time we are any good they won't be: good or here.

Plus who is to say what the CAP will be in 5 years, thinking like that will get you broke; or worse.

You bring up the Redskins and you just answered your own post as to why not to go in that direction. Are the Redskins winners? NO. They build thru FA not the draft. Bad practice, think Don Shula and the 95 Dolphins. FA are not the way to build a team and should only be used to bring in that special player (aka the Pats in 07) to get them back to the BIG game. Sure we need FA's in some areas because we are talent poor but not the high ticket guys because by the time we are any good they won't be: good or here.

Plus who is to say what the CAP will be in 5 years, thinking like that will get you broke; or worse.

The Redskins actually have made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years. They haven't done much though, because of a number of reasons, salary cap being the least of which.

Their coaching has not been very good. Joe Gibbs was lost. They were not able to evaluate talent properly. While they signed Archuleta to a big contract, it was not the money that screwed them, it was the fact that Archuleta was horrible in their system. They also traded the best CB in the game (Bailey), for a RB that two seasons ago was splitting time with Ladell Betts.

So, yes, the Redskins may not be a perennial powerhouse, but it has nothing to do with their payroll.

Who is to say? I would think economists. It is what most of our nation's economic policy is based upon; projections.

Salary Caps for the last 7 years:

2001: $67.4 M
2002: $71.1 M
2003: $75.007 M
2004: $80.582 M
2005: $85.5 M 2006: $102 M
2007: $109 M
2008: $116 M

So take into account the fact that the last Super Bowl was the highest rated television show in 30 years, you would assume the next TV deal will be more lucrative than the last one. Also factor in the NFLNetwork, which has become very popular. NFL revenues will continue to grow, atleast for the next 5-6 years. When a democratic president is elected, the growth may slow, but the effects will not be seen for a few years. But there should be growth nonetheless.

This isn't gonna turn around in one freakin year so might as well get over that right now... This ain't Madden...

tell that to the saints, browns, 99 rams, etc. etc. etc.

Good counting but what about the other years...

Teams played down to this teams level last year in not one game did we match anyone... Not one... Scores did not accurately reflect the poor personnel decisions of over a decade...

Oh yah we only lost to the SB Champs by 3 points I get it now..., now I get it...

Good counting but what about the other years...

Teams played down to this teams level last year in not one game did we match anyone... Not one... Scores did not accurately reflect the poor personnel decisions of over a decade...

Oh yah we only lost to the SB Champs by 3 points I get it now..., now I get it...

when your training camp resembles 'club-med', you can't expect to be a very good team. a lot of responsibility for our record belongs to cameron

Back
Top Bottom