Interesting Perspective On The Dolphins CB Situation | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Interesting Perspective On The Dolphins CB Situation

phinsforlife

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree with the tweet below. With the cap issues, I am not paying Xavien Howard all that money for what he now gives them. Not to mention, he is an injury risk. The dollars can be more productively spent elsewhere. Only area I disagree with, instead of relying solely on Cam Smith or Bonner or Nik Needham, I would try to find one more veteran that you think is at least reliable, on a cheaper contract. Someone better than Eli Apple though. The Cowboys got Stephon Gilmore for 1 year and $8mm last year, and he was pretty good. So I would be happy letting Howard go, picking up someone like him on a one year deal, and letting all those guys fight it out to see who starts next to Ramsey. Adding one more vet also gives you a bit more injury insurance. PS this is one of the big downsides of Cam Smith not getting on the field much this year. If he was the plan to replace Howard, now they cannot be certain because they don't have the data from the field of play to know for sure. So Fangio kind of screwed them in this regard.

Last edited:
There are some interesting FA options that won’t break the bank like Rock Ya-Sin but I’m leaning towards sticking with what we’ve got as well considering cap space, limited draft picks, and other needs. Really liked Cam Smith’s SC tape and love the idea of the physicality he can mirror opposite Ramsey.

There are some interesting FA options that won’t break the bank like Rock Ya-Sin but I’m leaning towards sticking with what we’ve got as well considering cap space, limited draft picks, and other needs. Really liked Cam Smith’s SC tape and love the idea of the physicality he can mirror opposite Ramsey.
Maybe Cam gets a chance since saggy tits is gone 🐻

I also think you go with Smith, Bonner, and Kohou opposite Ramsey. Take your chance that one or more can reach their ceiling.

So many other needs to fill. I think offensive line and linebacker might be the biggest needs.

If Miami loses Baker, which seems likely, the linebacker room doesn't have much entering the season.

We all know the needs on the offensive line.

Pass rush and CB play are related. If Chubb and Phillips return to 100% it isn’t as critical to have another all pro CB. Considering Cam Smith didn’t touch the damn field( I think Fangio had something against the kid) I’d like to see what he can do before we blow a pick on CB. Kohou was used out of position all year and it showed. Keep him at slot CB and find another outside CB if Cam doesn’t pan out. Top two picks need to be oline—LT/G and C.

Have never been a big Xavien Howard fan. He's had a me first attitude ever since he was a rookie. His whole career has been on/off injuries, wanting more money, or off field "drama".

If you truly sit back and look at it, along with stats, Howard has led us to nothing. And of the 8yrs he's been here, he really has only had 3 good seasons.

We'll cut him, someone will pay him and that team/fanbase will be psyched, and about 8 games into next season they'll be like WTF. Then 2025 offseason that team will have a decision like we are in now.

I also think you go with Smith, Bonner, and Kohou opposite Ramsey. Take your chance that one or more can reach their ceiling.

So many other needs to fill. I think offensive line and linebacker might be the biggest needs.

If Miami loses Baker, which seems likely, the linebacker room doesn't have much entering the season.

I didn’t realize how much we needed Baker until he was out, then played in the Bills game and had that awesome stop on the 1 after the catch and run as time went out in the first half. Then he was out again for the playoff game. The out / in / out sequence really showed that we are better w him playing. He makes some plays / picks / sacks / a TD occasionally etc.

Have never been a big Xavien Howard fan. He's had a me first attitude ever since he was a rookie. His whole career has been on/off injuries, wanting more money, or off field "drama".

If you truly sit back and look at it, along with stats, Howard has led us to nothing. And of the 8yrs he's been here, he really has only had 3 good seasons.

We'll cut him, someone will pay him and that team/fanbase will be psyched, and about 8 games into next season they'll be like WTF. Then 2025 offseason that team will have a decision like we are in now.
3 good seasons - as in ball-hawking - is what most elite corners give you. They have 3 - look at Madison for example. He got most of his picks in 3 years. Go back to Lester Hayes and Mike Haynes. Same thing. They all slow down a bit but are still good at covering their man - X was pretty good at it this year - they just don’t make those breaks on the ball to come away w the pick like they once could. It is what it is.

I didn’t realize how much we needed Baker until he was out, then played in the Bills game and had that awesome stop on the 1 after the catch and run as time went out in the first half. Then he was out again for the playoff game. The out / in / out sequence really showed that we are better w him playing. He makes some plays / picks / sacks / a TD occasionally etc.
Big drop off when he was out no doubt

Duke Riley was abused

That was a huge play against Buffalo.

Seems like every coaching staff that's been here really likes him. Not sure they can fit him in, but if not I think that 55 pick could definitely be a linebacker.

baker is another one i am willing to walk from at that price given the pickle we are now in. if flush with space, it would be fine. but being better than duke riley doesn't make him worth what they are paying him. he just doesnt move the needle. ps we could have taken fred warner, but he went 3 picks before we took jerome baker. it would not have been hard to move up a few spots to take him then. we move up all the time, to take players like leonte caroo, liam eichenberg and dion jordan. we also took mike gesicki in the 2nd round that year :)

Last edited:
I tend to agree with the tweet below. With the cap issues, I am not paying Xavien Howard all that money for what he now gives them. Not to mention, he is an injury risk. The dollars can be more productively spent elsewhere. Only area I disagree with, instead of relying solely on Cam Smith or Bonner or Nik Needham, I would try to find one more veteran that you think is at least reliable, on a cheaper contract. Someone better than Eli Apple though. The Cowboys got Stephon Gilmore for 1 year and $8mm last year, and he was pretty good. So I would be happy letting Howard go, picking up someone like him on a one year deal, and letting all those guys fight it out to see who starts next to Ramsey. Adding one more vet also gives you a bit more injury insurance. PS this is one of the big downsides of Cam Smith not getting on the field much this year. If he was the plan to replace Howard, now they cannot be certain because they don't have the data from the field of play to know for sure. So Fangio kind of screwed them in this regard.

You better hope he doesn’t leave. We’ve already seen what this defense looks like without BOTH Howard and Ramsay. If he leaves that would create the #1 hole that needs to be addressed. If he stays, we can focus on the lines etc

baker is another one i am willing to walk from at that price given the pickle we are now in. if flush with space, it would be fine. but being better than duke riley doesn't make him worth what they are paying him. he just doesnt move the needle. ps we could have taken fred warner, but he went 3 picks before we took jerome baker. it would not have been hard to move up a few spots to take him then. we move up all the time, to take players like leonte caroo, liam eichenberg and dion jordan. we also took mike gesicki in the 2nd round that year :)
We’ve seen what this defense looks like without baker. It would be cool to find someone better but we likely won’t. Baker is a crucial part of the defense

Back
Top Bottom