Interesting Perspective On The Dolphins CB Situation | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Interesting Perspective On The Dolphins CB Situation

Only area I disagree with, instead of relying solely on Cam Smith or Bonner or Nik Needham, I would try to find one more veteran that you think is at least reliable
No kidding. You are losing to the league norm if you rely on those guys at such a key position.

How is Bonner highly valued? I follow Stanford. He barely played. Likewise with the Dolphins. It's a feel good story but not much else. When teammates are jumping up and down and congratulating the new guy after a play that wasn't much of anything, take it as a hint. You've got to be ruthless and understand the type of defensive ability and intensity level necessary to survive a game like Kansas City at Baltimore. One mistake ends your season.

That is murderer's row and self aimed.

I also think you go with Smith, Bonner, and Kohou opposite Ramsey. Take your chance that one or more can reach their ceiling.

So many other needs to fill. I think offensive line and linebacker might be the biggest needs.

If Miami loses Baker, which seems likely, the linebacker room doesn't have much entering the season.

We all know the needs on the offensive line.
Offensive line, (center, guard, and resigning hunt or replacing him so that’s three starting positions assuming armstead doesn’t retire) defensive tackle if, Wilkins leaves which is pretty likely, and then a tight end OR a big bodied third WR are are our three biggest needs well before linebacker. You don’t have to spend alot of money at LB except for resigning Van Ginkel. once we get Chubb and Philips back from injury our edge group is strong. Jerome Baker can be restructured or replaced fairly cheaply, and we should bring Long back. Someone like Clowney can be brought in on the cheap to help at the edge until we get Philips and chub back. (Clowney played for $2.5m last year and head like 8 saks and he played for Weaver) not a difficult position group to sort out. One can argue that it could be upgraded with players like Patrick queen and such, but not sure that will be able to be done this off season.

We’ve seen what this defense looks like without baker. It would be cool to find someone better but we likely won’t. Baker is a crucial part of the defense
That was more to do with the quality of the backup rather than the starter.

Eli Apple graded out in the bottom 7 of the whole league in coverage last season while Duke Riley was abused in coverage like has had been the whole time he has been here.

David Long is making half of what Baker is due and is a better player. Baker is a decent LB but he can be replaced for half of what he is due.

Howard is no longer a top CB and was pretty bad in coverage last year and was injured yet again. I’m betting they can bring in 2 vets for way less than he costs that will give us exactly what he did last season if not more.

Eli Apple graded out in the bottom 7 of the whole league in coverage last season while Duke Riley was abused in coverage like has had been the whole time he has been here.

David Long is making half of what Baker is due and is a better player. Baker is a decent LB but he can be replaced for half of what he is due.

Howard is no longer a top CB and was pretty bad in coverage last year and was injured yet again. I’m betting they can bring in 2 vets for way less than he costs that will give us exactly what he did last season if not more.
That’s exactly the strategy we need to employ along with a smart effective draft, focusing on the OL.

I didn’t realize how much we needed Baker until he was out, then played in the Bills game and had that awesome stop on the 1 after the catch and run as time went out in the first half. Then he was out again for the playoff game. The out / in / out sequence really showed that we are better w him playing. He makes some plays / picks / sacks / a TD occasionally etc.
I agree with this when you are talking about Baker vs. Reilly, however overall, I think we need to upgrade the LB position even with Baker. Our ability to cover RB's and TE's with LB's is weak at best and we are constantly getting clobbered with short and intermediate crossing routes.

I see Baker likely taking a pay cut and returning .

Howard is probably gone, regardless, and the position overall will suffer.

Kohou needs to be in the slot only.....he's not very good playing outside. The big hope is that Cam Smith can develop into at least a good starter. I think Needham is gone.....we'll probably be drafting a CB or getting one in free agency imo

Cant wait until he's off the team. He's been my most disliked Dolphin player for 5 years in a row. Good riddance.
He was your most disliked Dolphin when he led the league in interceptions, finished third in DPOY award voting and was a first team all-pro in a season when the Dolphins fielded Noah Igbinoghene, Clayton Fejedelem, Jesse Davis (for 99% of snaps), Ereck Flowers and Michael Dieter?

Good one.🤡

Offensive line, (center, guard, and resigning hunt or replacing him so that’s three starting positions assuming armstead doesn’t retire) defensive tackle if, Wilkins leaves which is pretty likely, and then a tight end OR a big bodied third WR are are our three biggest needs well before linebacker. You don’t have to spend alot of money at LB except for resigning Van Ginkel. once we get Chubb and Philips back from injury our edge group is strong. Jerome Baker can be restructured or replaced fairly cheaply, and we should bring Long back. Someone like Clowney can be brought in on the cheap to help at the edge until we get Philips and chub back. (Clowney played for $2.5m last year and head like 8 saks and he played for Weaver) not a difficult position group to sort out. One can argue that it could be upgraded with players like Patrick queen and such, but not sure that will be able to be done this off season.
Good points. I haven't really delved into free agent linebackers. I know Miami fans are talking about Queen, but I don't think that's realistic. I believe he'll get a big contract.

Clowney could want to come to Miami with Weaver here. That's a good take.

I believe Long is signed through this year.

Kohou needs to be in the slot only.....he's not very good playing outside. The big hope is that Cam Smith can develop into at least a good starter. I think Needham is gone.....we'll probably be drafting a CB or getting one in free agency imo
We have a lot riding on Cam, really need that pick to work out, a 2nd rounder in a year we hardly had any picks.

Back
Top Bottom