Is Burke next to get the axe?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolphinheel, Jan 4, 2018.

1. dolphinheel

dolphinheel A True Fan

I personally would like to see him go and find an experienced coordinator. D was very questionable this year. Thoughts?

2. Highzenga

Highzenga Well-Known Member

Was it Burke’s fault, or the personnel? I don’t care if Buddy Ryan is your dc, your defense will look questionable with linebacker play like we had.

3. dolphinheel

dolphinheel A True Fan

I don’t like learning on the job coordinators. We could do MUCH better.

4. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

I think it was both. Lack of talent on defense and some poor scheming against opponents. He had a very good game plan against the Patriots in the 2nd game...man-to-man defense, a few blitzes to get Brady a little antsy in the pocket. But we didn't run a lot of man-to-man for some reason. He did a poor job of disguising his blitzes. He couldn't figure out how to cover a TE. Their plan was to have McDonald as a hybrid safety/linebacker to cover TEs and have Jones and Nate Allen as the Strong and Free Safeties. Nate Allen had a 155 passer rating against him, Jones had a 120 passer rating against him and McDonald had a 112 passer rating against him so that plan/scheme was a fail and would have been a fail had Allen not been hurt.

AJ Duhe likes this.
  5. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

Gase seemingly took the lazy route in promoting Burke to DC -- which in our case is like double critical given the fact Gase himself has ZERO D experience and the core staff he assembled was thin to begin with. The NFL is still a coaching league and coordinators are serious difference makers. I am both perplexed by Gase's lack of coaching connections (duh Bears?) and extremely alarmed in terms of the talent pool this teams can draw from.

6. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

I like to think of it like this, we got Vance Joseph many of us said he sucked, we got Burke now he supposedly sucks too, we have to look at personnel as the main problem of this team. Nothing was wrong with Joseph and I find that Burke is competent, changing OCs will not make one iota of difference until we plug the holes plaguing this team on both side of the ball.

Ray R likes this.
  7. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

Burke will be back but lets keep these threads going for fun.

Ray R and Sarnics13 like this.
  8. dolphinheel

dolphinheel A True Fan

We can do better than Burke. I’m hoping Ross is behind the scenes demanding that Gase make some staff changes. Not impressed at all so far with the new additions but IMHO a well respected, experienced DC could be a difference maker for this team and for buy in from our veterans.

9. HeavenCent

HeavenCent Member

It’s cool if you want to fire a particular coach, but at least mention some potential replacements. I’m interested in who would be an upgrade. Save the “anybody!!!!” response, too.

10. dolphinheel

dolphinheel A True Fan

I think Pagano, Del Rio and Fangio would all be monumental improvements.

Agua, Spiff and elite14eva like this.
  11. elite14eva

elite14eva Yashu Mane!!! Donator

I've got a feeling that Burke isn't going anywhere which would be the nail in the coffin for gase. he seems be making moves on the offensive side he needs to do the same on the defensive side hell the whole staff for that matter everyone needs to be evaluated.

Agua likes this.
  12. Highzenga

Highzenga Well-Known Member

Ross would never do that nor should he. Gase seems like the type that would resign if he was told to fire a member of HIS staff.

13. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

Burke has been described as a very smart guy. That he could have done anything, but chose football. Sounds like M. Patricia with a beard as well.
    Seriously, he's a young guy, and he has upside. He also has passion. Hopefully he learned from his mistakes this season and corrects them. He needs to be creative. It's his first year calling the shots so it's hard to give him a pass or fail.
    Another season of this being "His" defense may be good for us.

Ray R, HopaLong and coolest like this.
  14. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I think the defense would have been decent if McDonald played the full season and the linebacking corp was improved. I don't think the poor play at linebacker was due to coaching as much as talent ant athletic level. At times the d-line against the rush looked very good, but could use one or two extra pass rushers. Again I don't the poor pressure on qbs was all on the coaching.

kcbrown and Ray R like this.
  15. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Burke probably gets an extension lol. I hope for Gase’s sake he’s waiting until after the playoffs to find his DC.

elite14eva likes this.
  16. elite14eva

they need to scrape the wide 9 scheme

17. BahamaFinFan78

BahamaFinFan78 A True Fan

There's a whole thread on this, full of replacements.

18. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

That's not Ross's style and I for one am glad he doesn't do that, he challenges his coaching staff on how do we get better, but demanding this or that....no way.

randomname, Ray R and fin415 like this.
  19. sleek

sleek $$UNDERDOG$$

Joseph defense gave up a lot of points and yards and people claimed he was great but i never understood it and now we got Burke and I don't understand his defense either.
    The only thing I can figure is it has something to do with possession control or game flow. I was always a fan of low points and low yards.

20. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

I'm fine with Burke, for next year at least. Get back R.Mc and get some more depth at LB/DE in the draft.Re-evaluate then.

kcbrown and Ray R like this.
  21. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

Disagree. The scheme can be extremely effective with the right personnel. To this point, I think the Raekwon McMillan injury was far more damaging than most people realize, and it would not surprise me to see Roquon Smith drafted in the first.

Ray R likes this.
  22. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 Well-Known Member

Burke could definitely be upgraded, but unfortunately I don't think Gase has the connections (or defensive IQ frankly) to find the right man. I don't care who our defensive coordinator is or what the scheme is, but I do know this D as a whole needs to improve significantly if this team is ever going to have a chance. These last 2 years have been horrible. Upgrading a young and inexperienced DC could go a long way towards helping that, but I doubt it happens. I wish Bowles would get fired, because I think he knows what he's doing on that side of the ball.

1 dol fan and Agua like this.
  23. thefieds

thefieds Rookie

Burke is the problem and proved it when he asked a reporter who he would have covering the TE instead of Kiko. This is the problem with Gase and his coords. They're first timers and don't know what they're doing.

McVay hired a DC with HC experience. Pederson hired experienced coords and his DC has HC experience. That knowledge is invaluable for a first time HC and it would behoove gase to stop hiring these 30 something rejects and hire someone with experience to help him learn how to be a HC.

2018 is already shaping up to be a wasted season. Coaching matters. Just look at the Rams.

jtoomuch and elite14eva like this.
  24. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

We have no pass rush. That has to be fixed and they need to be playing press man more often with these corners. Branch and Alonso with $10M cap hits this year doesn't help. Having two strong safeties doesn't help either. I have no idea what they are thinking. Our best players on defense will be 30, 31 & 36 years old this year.

25. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

Joseph's defenses got walked al over, I agree. However they were less talented than Burke's (there were special teamers all over the place) and made very timely stops. I think that's why he gets credit on here. I don't really know how to feel about Burke. On one hand I'd love an experienced DC who has proven success in the league but on the other how many DC's have taken defenses that lack talent and proved to be great in their first year? Burke could suck but he could be great, we don't know yet but everyone will lean towards sucks because on ne year.

I also believe that everything has to be cohesive to have success. Meaning the entire staff and FO has to believe in building and coaching the same thing. Communication is key and it's been said Gase and Vance didn't communicate that well while Burke and Gase do. We're seeing the same thing on the offensive side. I know it looks like the buddy system but the staff has to work closely together to be successful.

Ray R likes this.
  26. SabanHater

SabanHater ***** in the House!

who wants to work with Gase? He's picking from the Bears tree because thats all he knows.

27. sleek

sleek $$UNDERDOG$$

I could see how very timely stops would draw attention maybe that's what I was not seeing in Joseph.

I agree with you on the o and d both being on the same page. 3 and outs and turnovers can hinder any defense.

28. AJ Duhe

AJ Duhe FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I think many of us are going to have to give up on the hope of wholesale changes on defense. We're not going to a 3-4 with the personnel we currently have signed long term. I don't dump Burke, but he has a tough job ahead trying to fix the holes in this defense. Here are a few adjustments I would make:

1. Dump Wide-9
    The scheme was implemented up front to maximize the pass rush ability of our "dominant" DL. What I've seen is no net effect on the pass rush efficacy as smarter QBs have enough movement to exploit poor gap discipline. As far as stopping the run, the penetration priority of the DL is leaving the LBs vulnerable because they have to attack gaps more aggressively. Kiko Alonso is not built for that. The only LBs on the roster built for that were McMillan, unfortunately injured, and Margarita Rey Mauluga.

2. The TE & RB Coverage Problem
    Somebody on this team has to be smart enough to realize that this is a player deficiency problem. We have no shot at consistent coverage with Kiko, Reshad, or McDonald in primary coverage. Plain and simple, no scheme adjustment will help. We need a personnel upgrade.

3. The Corn Field Zone
    You could plant crops and wait for harvest with some of the wide open zones in our defense. Our defense just doesn't play it well. Didn't we draft secondary players for a man coverage scheme? Why are we playing against the comfort of our defenders? The zone snaps should be an occasional wrinkle, not a staple.

Beach Bum 91 and artdnj like this.
  29. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

I'm sure AFC playoff teams will be looking at Burke's plan vs the Patriots. He did a pretty damn good job that day.

Dakar001, NorthernFin and Ray R like this.
  30. Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come Well-Known Member

If Fangio doesn't get a HC gig, and it is unlikely he will in today's NFL that is trending toward younger head coaches......hiring him as DC would be a foregone conclusion. I think Ross would offer him the big bucks, and he deserves it.

HeyHoLet'sGo and elite14eva like this.
  31. BenchFiedler

BenchFiedler Undrafted Pro-Bowler

McMillan is unproven. He never played an NFL game in his life and he was practicing against a Dolphins offense who can't score 20 pts a game. He might be very talented at the college level, but the NFL is a different story.

32. Ikema

Ikema FinHeaven VIP

I think some of the responsibility does fall on coordinator's shoulders. Look at the rams and the positive effect Wade Phillips has had, heck you can look anywhere Phillips has been and he's had a positive effect. Miami needs someone like him, if not him.

And on a side note, I'm tired of the lack of discipline on the entire roster. I long for the Shula days where Miami was perennially known as the least penalized team.

terphin and elite14eva like this.
  33. Phantom

Phantom Phantom Donator

Gronkowski getting suspended isn't a game plan, it's luck.

1 dol fan likes this.
  34. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

No doubt we will find out next season

35. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran Finheaven VIP

That's the ultimate question. If you look at Miami's talent on defense, the Dolphins are sorely lacking at linebacker. I think the defensive line is decent, but not as great as fans would like to think. The corner play was encouraging, but early in the season was awful. I think Miami needs a true free safety even though I like both Jones and McDonald.

Omar Kelly put out grades for each unit, and I thought he was pretty spot on. Gave the defensive line a C-, saying the unit performed well until some injuries hit. His grade for linebacker, I believe was a D and defensive back grade I think C-.

So with below average defensive talent overall, Burke got below average results. Early in the season, I thought Burke was over his head, but he made some adjustments and the team had a pretty good stretch of games defensively. I think the NE game may have saved him. Burke absolutely had a great game plan in that one and the defense executed it perfectly.

Like Gase, I feel Burke is learning on the job. Maybe not the ideal guy, but if he gets better and with more talent we'll see.

36. dolphinheel

dolphinheel A True Fan

One of the biggest jobs of a head coordinator is not to just coach the players he is given. His biggest job is to help them improve as players. I saw NO improvement in the areas you mentioned. In fact I thought we played worse as the season ended. If Burke isn't replaced then we can all surmise that he is just a one year placeholder until the new staff takes over. Burke was definitely in over his head and I saw no improvement in our overall defense.

terphin, artdnj and elite14eva like this.
  37. mfish41

mfish41 It is what it is Donator

Well that's where the value of good coaching would come in i suppose?

38. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

You see a rookie LB who was a 2nd round pick. I see a defensive QB who was expected to make all the calls for the defense last season. I am also a die hard Ohio State fan so my prospective is completely different from most.
    The Tannehill injury hurt me personally but to follow it up with this one the next week was just brutal.

And while his injury is unfortunate, Raekwon didn't have to practice against that offense you speak of because he was hurt because Cutler every played a game.

Beach Bum 91 and BenchFiedler like this.
  39. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

Of course. It's conjecture, but I don't think it's a huge stretch to say that he would have been a considerable upgrade to what the Fins ran out there in 2017.

kcbrown likes this.
  40. elite14eva

If they keep the defensive staff in place look for more of the same guys this year

kevphin likes this.