Is Burke next to get the axe? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Burke next to get the axe?

To this point, I think the Raekwon McMillan injury was far more damaging than most people realize

McMillan is unproven. He never played an NFL game in his life and he was practicing against a Dolphins offense who can't score 20 pts a game. He might be very talented at the college level, but the NFL is a different story.

Was it Burke’s fault or the personnel? I don’t care if Buddy Ryan is your dc, your defense will look questionable with linebacker play like we had.
I think some of the responsibility does fall on coordinator's shoulders. Look at the rams and the positive effect Wade Phillips has had, heck you can look anywhere Phillips has been and he's had a positive effect. Miami needs someone like him, if not him.

And on a side note, I'm tired of the lack of discipline on the entire roster. I long for the Shula days where Miami was perennially known as the least penalized team.

I think it was both. Lack of talent on defense and some poor scheming against opponents. He had a very good game plan against the Patriots in the 2nd game...man-to-man defense, a few blitzes to get Brady a little antsy in the pocket. But we didn't run a lot of man-to-man for some reason. He did a poor job of disguising his blitzes. He couldn't figure out how to cover a TE. Their plan was to have McDonald as a hybrid safety/linebacker to cover TEs and have Jones and Nate Allen as the Strong and Free Safeties. Nate Allen had a 155 passer rating against him, Jones had a 120 passer rating against him and McDonald had a 112 passer rating against him so that plan/scheme was a fail and would have been a fail had Allen not been hurt.
Gronkowski getting suspended isn't a game plan, it's luck.

Was it Burke’s fault, or the personnel? I don’t care if Buddy Ryan is your dc, your defense will look questionable with linebacker play like we had.

That's the ultimate question. If you look at Miami's talent on defense, the Dolphins are sorely lacking at linebacker. I think the defensive line is decent, but not as great as fans would like to think. The corner play was encouraging, but early in the season was awful. I think Miami needs a true free safety even though I like both Jones and McDonald.

Omar Kelly put out grades for each unit, and I thought he was pretty spot on. Gave the defensive line a C-, saying the unit performed well until some injuries hit. His grade for linebacker, I believe was a D and defensive back grade I think C-.

So with below average defensive talent overall, Burke got below average results. Early in the season, I thought Burke was over his head, but he made some adjustments and the team had a pretty good stretch of games defensively. I think the NE game may have saved him. Burke absolutely had a great game plan in that one and the defense executed it perfectly.

Like Gase, I feel Burke is learning on the job. Maybe not the ideal guy, but if he gets better and with more talent we'll see.

That's the ultimate question. If you look at Miami's talent on defense, the Dolphins are sorely lacking at linebacker. I think the defensive line is decent, but not as great as fans would like to think. The corner play was encouraging, but early in the season was awful. I think Miami needs a true free safety even though I like both Jones and McDonald.

Omar Kelly put out grades for each unit, and I thought he was pretty spot on. Gave the defensive line a C-, saying the unit performed well until some injuries hit. His grade for linebacker, I believe was a D and defensive back grade I think C-.

So with below average defensive talent overall, Burke got below average results. Early in the season, I thought Burke was over his head, but he made some adjustments and the team had a pretty good stretch of games defensively. I think the NE game may have saved him. Burke absolutely had a great game plan in that one and the defense executed it perfectly.

Like Gase, I feel Burke is learning on the job. Maybe not the ideal guy, but if he gets better and with more talent we'll see.

One of the biggest jobs of a head coordinator is not to just coach the players he is given. His biggest job is to help them improve as players. I saw NO improvement in the areas you mentioned. In fact I thought we played worse as the season ended. If Burke isn't replaced then we can all surmise that he is just a one year placeholder until the new staff takes over. Burke was definitely in over his head and I saw no improvement in our overall defense.

McMillan is unproven. He never played an NFL game in his life and he was practicing against a Dolphins offense who can't score 20 pts a game. He might be very talented at the college level, but the NFL is a different story.

You see a rookie LB who was a 2nd round pick. I see a defensive QB who was expected to make all the calls for the defense last season. I am also a die hard Ohio State fan so my prospective is completely different from most.
The Tannehill injury hurt me personally but to follow it up with this one the next week was just brutal.

And while his injury is unfortunate, Raekwon didn't have to practice against that offense you speak of because he was hurt because Cutler every played a game.

Of course. It's conjecture, but I don't think it's a huge stretch to say that he would have been a considerable upgrade to what the Fins ran out there in 2017.

Yes the defense needs help, last year our defense personel was trash IMO, and we pulled some defensive miracles out of our butt, this years squad was mych more solid and collapsed many times thats coaching so the coaching needs help.

Of course. It's conjecture, but I don't think it's a huge stretch to say that he would have been a considerable upgrade to what the Fins ran out there in 2017.
Well looking back at the way the LBs played this year, I'm 100% he would've been our best LB by a wide margin...

I'd bring del río. He probably hates us though. I think he'd take the job.

Back
Top Bottom