Is Henne good enough?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by TrinidadDolfan, May 5, 2009.

1. TrinidadDolfan

TrinidadDolfan 1st Team All-Pro

2. mikethewreck

mikethewreck Just a fan...

I think he showed in relief duty last year he is at least well on his way. I think that if you put him in now he would outperform the BFB's 07 performance (Beast From BYU, whose name is will not utter). It is hard though to supplant an accurate, experienced QB like Chad P when he is playing at a Pro Bowl level. I do question why in "Hail Mary" end of game/half situations last year they didn't roll out Chad H to take advantage of his arm.

3. Kiick72

Kiick72 Starter

Henne needs more playing time. Hopefully they will be able to get him into more game this year to mop up things and get some quality snaps in. I think he just needs some more experience.

4. josekareh

josekareh Finfansince75

Henne won't start during pre season, well maybe Game 4, but he will see a little more than 2 quarters in each game, and we'll see comparing to last year how much he has learned...

5. mfish41

mfish41 It is what it is Donator

who knows, either him or pat white need to be or this rebuilding project can take a terrible hit.

6. MDFINFAN

MDFINFAN Reach for the Stars Super Donator Donator

Only if our O is more explosive.. I'd like to get him some playing time, the young man is full of confidence...but playing is a different story.. I don't really know what we have in Henne, I think we have a player...but this same regime thought Romo was the answer in Dallas, and I can't say Romo blows me away.....so I'll let Henne's play on the field convince me..

7. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

That's farging icehole to you, sir:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv8tVxk6Nj4

This dude should have gotten a best supporting actor Academy Award.

8. R Williams34

R Williams34 Scout Team

I think there is a pretty good reason he has been named the starter for next year.

9. NYinBostonFin

NYinBostonFin Playoffs Please!!

F*** Armando's opinion.

10. SnakeoilSeller

SnakeoilSeller Scout Team

I think it is a legit question, I'll take it a step further. What if the FO isn't as in love w/Henne as everyone thinks. What if taking Henne up to North Carolina to work out Nicks was part of a smokescreen. That would explain the Pat White pick a whole lot more.

11. NYinBostonFin

NYinBostonFin Playoffs Please!!

Taking Henne to work out Nicks may have been a smokescreen to draft White, but I think Henne gets first crack at starter after Penny regardless. (Unless he screws it up royally)

White was drafted for the wildcat.

12. tcdrover

tcdrover Pro Bowler

That guy doesn't know the very first thing about football. His articles are transparent attempts at creating controversy. They called that yellow journalism years ago. He's a yellow journalist alright, and in more than one way too...:chuckle:

Did you see how profootball weekly had Henne and Ryan rated back in that draft edition?

They seem incredibly accurate to me, they rated Beck as a career back-up.

They had Henne rated very well. I think he was 2nd to Ryan if memory serves me.

13. redclamcrowder

redclamcrowder Cure for the Common Person

Agreed MD... This has to be an instance of "wait and see". Henne has all the intangibles to succeed at this level. He's big, got a strong arm, is a leader within the huddle, and started 4 years up at Michigan (which means he is likely able to handle a high-pressure environment). However, aside from some garbage time during the regular season and some sharp moments in preseason (which really don't mean a lot) we won't know what we have in Henne until he takes on the full-time starter's role. I like what he offers as a QB, but results are something we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully the front office found us a QB for the next decade.

Off topic: I'm not a Romo fan by any means, but I think two things are responsible for some of his lackluster play: (1) he is too 'aw shucks' and doesn't take his position as Dallas QB as seriously as he should, ie he's too immature or childish to really assume a very vocal, commanding position and (2) he got caught up in trying to keep his prima donna reciever happy and well fed with many passes his way (thus taking away from just being a quarterback, reading the defense, and putting the ball in the best place INSTEAD of in the hands of who just wants it regardless if they are open or not *cough* TO *cough*)

14. JT-forpresident

JT-forpresident Believe In Miami

armando knows nothing about football.

BUT, i will say this.

chad henne was a 2nd rounder for a/some reason(s) ...

15. redclamcrowder

redclamcrowder Cure for the Common Person

I get what you're saying here, but truthfully, draft status means nothing. How does a top notch WR like Michael Crabtree get drafted behind an inconsistent speedy WR like Darius Heyward-Bay (yes, I know its the Raiders, but you see my point)? How does a bust like Ryan Leaf get drafted so high only to fizzle later on? The draft is a crap shoot. Each team places importance on different factors when examining players. For teams like Oakland, they seem to value speed over college production. Some teams running a 3-4 seek different varieties of linebackers and defensive linemen to better fit their scheme. Draft status really doesn't mean much.

Yes, Henne has his flaws. I believe the biggest knock on him was that he tended to stare down his receivers rather than try to look-off defensive backs. After Flacco and Ryan were selected, most of the teams still picking were either satisfied with their QB's or had a player fall to them they felt they could not pass up. So Henne (and Brian Brohm, another highly skilled QB) dropped in the draft. Henne has 1st round talent (as I believe Brohm likely possesses the same, at worst EARLY second round) and he is a very skilled QB. With a little coaching to help him stop telegraphing his throws, and film study (plus experience playing at the PRO level) Henne should be just fine.

I'm guessing your intention was not to rip Henne, but rather question why he slipped into round 2, so please don't take this as me trying to soley defend Henne or rip you for your post. I'm just trying to throw in my 2 cents:hi5:

16. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan FinHeaven VIP

If that were true then it wouldn't say much about their fdaith in Pat White since they would have already picked one wrong QB last year.

17. SammySmif

SammySmif Starter

From the little I have seen of Chad Henne, I am impressed. I did not think he was that great in college personally, but his poise in the pocket, release time, ability to read blitzes and huge arm all stuck out to me. Of course I had been watching AJ Feeley, Jay Fiedler, John Beck and Sage Rosenfeld, so that doesn't help.

Why can't everyone grasp that the FO requires COMPETITION at EVERY position on the field? White and Henne will make each other so good, and it will play itself out in time.

18. MichaelBusiness

MichaelBusiness Scout Team

Not necessarily so.

Henne is our quintessential QB.

White is for the wild cat.

19. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

I'm sure he does. And he'll get it done or he won't.

20. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

Armando doesnt know anything the finheaven regular doesnt know. Nobody knows how Henne will turn out. We can only hope.

21. Dolfan1000

Dolfan1000 Hall Of Famer

How are any of us able to answer that question? We have not seen the guy play a meaningful snap in the NFL. Not one. All we know is what we have read (which has mostly been positive) and what we have seen in relief appearances and preseason games (also mostly positive). The Pat White pick has no impact on Chad Henne IMO, and anyone who bought the line about Pat competing for the starting gig down the line is pretty naive. Pat White was brought here for the wildcat and to run David Lee's version of the spread. Chad Henne, good or bad, is the future of the Miami Dolphins.

22. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

You answered your own question...it was from Salguero...nuff said...

23. Wolgang

Wolgang New Member

I always thought the FO drafted Pat White for these three reasons (in order of priority):

1. they didn't want anyone else to get him;
    2. wildcat option; and
    3. need a third QB because they were going to release John Beck.

24. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

I see a lot of references to Henne and his college play. Keep in mind that Michigan (until the new Rich Rod era) has always been a run first pass only if you need to type offense. Very conservative. They have placed many of their QB's in to the league over the last 20 years. Coming out of school, Henne was the best of all of them. Often times, I see posts about his bowl record. He lost his first 3 bowls. The Big Ten has been in a decline for years playing smashmouth football and lost touch with the SEC and now Big 12. However, Henne's last game at Michigan, was also Lloyd Carr's last game. They were an overwhelming underdog to Florida but Carr opened the playbook and Henne came out firing. He wound up 25-39 for 373 and 3 TD's. Most of his Senior season he had a bad shoulder. Doctors shot him with to much cortisone and hit a nerve after the Michigan State game. He tried to play against Wisconsin but his arm was dead and he was pulled after 5 passes (he completed 3 for 28 yards).

My point is, it's easy to say Henne was unimpressive in his record at Michigan but I question anyone saying that just how close they followed him. He started as a true freshman and continued as the starter all 4 years at Michigan. Only one other Michigan QB did that. This kid has a lot of heart, is very intelligent and is in command in the huddle.

I agree that we don't know yet what we have but, I watched him play closely at Michigan and am not at all surprised that he had a good pre-season last year and looked good against the Cardinals at the end. I expect good things from Henne and seriously doubt that the coaching staff has soured on him.

I honestly believe that Henne will be starting at some point this season and quite possibly on opening day.

25. justdev7

justdev7 Rookie

of course he's got a long way to go, he's never started a game. I'm tired of people bashing on Henne and saying now Pat White is the guy. Henne is our guy and he's gonna be good. Henne is the future,and Pat White is Brad Smith

26. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

I would say he would be closer to Troy Smith since he will strictly be a QB.

27. clevelandm13

clevelandm13 Scout Team

I relly don't know, who does at this point. If he doesn't get on the field during the season we will never know. If White looks really good running the wildcat he might get a few more plays outside the wildcat and if he looks good then Henne will be in trouble. I guess I'm old fashion, but I really need to see a QB on the field during games before we decide and mans future.

28. TrinidadDolfan

TrinidadDolfan 1st Team All-Pro

Who named him the starter for next year?

The Press?

29. X-Pacolypse

X-Pacolypse A True Fan

With the limited action Henne has received, I am impressed with what I have seen. You see the poise in the pocket, command in the huddle, and strong throws with good accuracy. Granted, we'll know more as he gets more playing time but you can't help but be impressed with his tools in the short time he's seen on the field.

30. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

Ditto - and he'll give Penny a good push..., the true push that Penny lacked in NY...

31. I am Bane

I am Bane BAKLAVA

not yet.... but hopefully he is. i still worry about him handling pressure up the middle. he struggled throughout college in that aspect very much. quick pressure caused him to stare down WR's and heave it to them, causing many of his INT's of his college career. throwing off back foot as well in these instances.

much to learn, much to work on, do it up Henne!!!

32. Mcganiel

Mcganiel A True Fan

I'm just going to do the wait and see thing like others have suggested already. I hope he is as good as his reviews during last years draft because he is a huge piece of this rebuilding project.

33. finman38

finman38 Banned Hammered

I feel we don't know what we have in Henne yet, until he plays a regular season game. I'M just going to wait and watch him in a regular game before i judge him. He looked good last year in mop up duty against a buch of scrubs. but that doesn't say much.

34. PassRush

PassRush Drunken Sailor

He has all the tools. Thats all any of us can say with confidence at this point.

35. Emil305

Emil305 Rookie

Henne

Henne will start this year, Its a miracle that Pennington played they whole season last year he always gets hurt....Pennington will get hurt and open the door for Henne . I went to the pre season games last year and Henne
    looked awsome all he was lacking was the poise and confidence of playing time. His skills and leadership are there... Beck never convinved me he looked like a B#@%H....

36. Mr772

Mr772 Pro Bowler

White was drafted to play QB. At this point Henne should be better than White but White is still a QB, period. Sure he can be a run option QB but he can also be a passing QB.

37. Mr772

Mr772 Pro Bowler

Pennington got hurt so much because the NYJ protection sucked. He had pretty good protection last year except for the occasional jail break up the middle from a Samson failure.

38. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan Perennial All-Pro

Henne is good Enough and will be starting by mid season

39. I am Bane

I am Bane BAKLAVA

starting mid-season would be scary for me, but yes is a possability with Pennington tending to be fragile at times.

hopefully we dont have to witness that in the 2009 season at all.... Henne still needs work, but has talent that can become very good.... i dont want him rushed into this any way at all.... three or four years, he was inconsistent often at Michigan especially with any pressure coming at him.... he has a lot to learn and experience

40. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I like how Henne makes the prototypical throws for an NFL QB. Deep outs, square ins, etc. From the film I've seen, he's better in that regard than Ryan or Flacco. Of course, there's a lot more to playing the QB position, and he'll have to answer those questions, but he hasn't given me any reason to doubt him. That he's unproven is a given, but there's really nothing to say on the issue accept: "We'll see if he can put it all together."

As for now, I don't see anything he's lacking.