4. Joe Montana - 28
5. Lynn Dickey - 25

'86 TD passing leaders:
1. Marino - 44
2. Ken Obrien - 25
3. Boomer Esiason - 24
4. Tommy Kramer - 24
5. Jay Schroeder - 22

It says a helluva lot when you finish top 5 in a statistical category (84 & 86), but the #1 person doubles your statistical output. You couldn't even fathom that type of statistical disparity nowadays. I don't care what category it is. Marino was the unreachable star back then.

Not only did Marino amass all those yards and TD's during a time when other QB's weren't, he did so throwing to two 5'9" receivers during an era where the DB's could be physical until the ball was in the air and LB'ers flattened anybody that tried to cross the field. WR's back then weren't able to run all over the field with impunity and no fear.

I often imagine Marino playing in today's game with a big receiver like Julio Jones or Mike Evans or AJ Green .... or even a freak talents like OBJ or Dez Bryant. Hell, I'd would have killed to see him with Jerry Rice or Randy Moss back in their primes. That would have been unreal.

Marino is the GOAT as throwing a Football, bar none. Rivers is above average imo. It's like comparing Muhammad Ali with Zora Foley, I hope that helps!

Robert Brazile

Career highlights and awards

Looks like HOF material to me. That dude could play! The Oilers switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense based on his skill set. He came out of Jackson State University the same year as Walter Payton. He had an immediate impact when he arrived in the league.....

Robert Brazile was a great player...only someone who isn't old enough to remember would say Rivers was on the same level as Brazile.

Not sure why some are pushing for Rivers so hard...he has been a good QB...not a great one...and he has accomplished little.

Again...big passing numbers mean little anymore in the post 2007 rules changes era...you better win rings...or really stand out from the norm in this era to make the hall as a QB now....none of which Rivers has done.

He just said that if Dan Marino is a Hall of famer then Phillip Rivers is definitely a HOFer!!! I saw it on Power Rankings on NFLN.......Fins ranked 15 BTW........SMH
IF?!?!?! Did he just say "IF" DAN MARINO is a H.O.F.?!?!?! IF.... I'm still trying to comprehend someone even suggesting this. WOW! I think someone might want to suggest to MJD to have his head examined. Seriously! He should know better. IF...?!?!

Robert Brazile was a great player...only someone who isn't old enough to remember would say Rivers was on the same level as Brazile.

Not sure why some are pushing for Rivers so hard...he has been a good QB...not a great one...and he has accomplished little.

Again...big passing numbers mean little anymore in the post 2007 rules changes era...you better win rings...or really stand out from the norm in this era to make the hall as a QB now....none of which Rivers has done.
I agree. Good QB but not HOF material. Dan Fouts was HOF material - the last great chargers QB. Rivers isn't even as good as Fouts was. And the Giants got the better of that swap. Eli gets maligned a lot (i hear it all the time up here in north jersey) but he did engineer two great playoff runs and two GW drives (improbable at that) to go 80 and 82 yards against the best team of the last 16 years to win two SBs. He will go in the HOF and it will be early on in his eligibility. His rings are different than guys like Dilfer and Rypien etc. That they beat the 19-0 Pats is David vs Goliath stuff and the Hall is the place for that story to be memorialized for eternity. Say what you will - he was clutch. And don't tell me Tyree catch was luck - everyone forgets the play Eli made to get out of a sure sack. The guy is a stiff and somehow he willed himself into an athletic play looking like Cam Newton. That's will to win. I don't love or hate Eli. But anyone who doesn't think he's an easy HOF entry compared to Rivers is smoking good drugs.

don%2527t%2Bsmoke.jpg

IF?!?!?! Did he just say "IF" DAN MARINO is a H.O.F.?!?!?! IF.... I'm still trying to comprehend someone even suggesting this. WOW! I think someone might want to suggest to MJD to have his head examined. Seriously! He should know better. IF...?!?!
Obviously he never saw Marino play.

This. Not sure how Robert Brazile was so overlooked for so long. He was a stud and a big reason why that Oilers team was in the AFC title game a couple times (just couldn't beat Pitt). And the passing stats don't mean as much now - I agree. I mean Drew Breez is good but anyone really gonna compare him to Marino just because he's been over 5,000 yards more than once? Rivers < Breez <<< Marino.

MJD is weird character, I don't know how to describe it. You can tell he doesn't have much chemistry with his co-workers too. Over the past two years, I've heard him make a least one off statement every show.

I'd like for someone who is old enough to explain why he only threw for 30 tds in 85. Still lead the league but something happened to where he went -14 on tds and then +18 the next year

I believe Ray Finkle kicked him in the hand accidentally on a hold during practice in week 4, Danny hit a bit of a rough patch after that for a few weeks. He may also had a slight case of gonorrhea.

Back
Top Bottom