Is MJD for real????` | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is MJD for real????`

Shula failed and failed colossally with Marino.

He sure did. Which is why his reputation and standing among coaches is going to go down when this era is revisited. He's a Hall of Famer, no question, and one of the best coaches of all time. But not the best of all time, and certainly not the best coach of the 80's/90's.

Shula failed mainly in the personnel area. Year after year of terrible drafts and not being able to field a competent defense or running game is what kept them from winning a championship with Dan.

Refusing to get rid of Tom Olivadotti was another contributing factor...

For reference I was born in 1989. I read and hear things like this about Marino and i'm dumbfounded at the fact we had that kind of player at Quarterback and Don Shula couldn't coach the team to one championship with that guy running his offense. Shula failed and failed colossally with Marino.

See my sig.

Shula failed mainly in the personnel area. Year after year of terrible drafts and not being able to field a competent defense or running game is what kept them from winning a championship with Dan.

Refusing to get rid of Tom Olivadotti was another contributing factor...

That was the biggest factor, IMO.

See my sig.

That was the biggest factor, IMO.

I agree with you on the defense. It just amazes me that you have someone changing the way a professional sport is played with Marino and someone considered a coaching legend and we couldn't get one title. Shula missed the playoffs 6 times with Marino as his QB, it's truly remarkable how bad that era was compared to how it seems to be portrayed by some.

Rivers is more HOF material than any of the QBs on the ballot this year though.

For reference I was born in 1989. I read and hear things like this about Marino and i'm dumbfounded at the fact we had that kind of player at Quarterback and Don Shula couldn't coach the team to one championship with that guy running his offense. Shula failed and failed colossally with Marino.

Shula's biggest mistake was he was too loyal to his D-coordinator. Many people say that the lack of a running game was the reason Marino never won a superbowl, but truth be told, Marino was and whole offense all by himself if you gave him competent receivers, but that Tom Olivadotti coached defense was horrible.

If the Dophins had had even close to a consistent defense, (did not even have to be great, just consistent, but somewhat money at the end when needed), Marino would have gotten his superbowl(s).

Back
Top Bottom