Is Sean Smith is a crack addict or just plain stupid?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by insomnia411, Feb 9, 2013.

1. insomnia411

insomnia411 The world is yours

Is Sean Smith a crack addict or just plain stupid?

Rotoworld blurb :

Sean Smith | MIA (February 8, 2013 7:07 PM EST) Free agent CB Sean Smith is expected to seek $8-10 million annually on the open market.

Smith and his agent anticipate a deal somewhere between Brandon Carr (five years, $50 million) and Jason McCourty (five years, $43 million). Per the Miami Herald, the Dolphins don't believe Smith is worth that much and for good reason. Although very physically gifted and only 25, Smith struggles versus smaller, quicker receivers, and Pro Football Focus charted him with more combined first downs and touchdowns allowed than any NFL cornerback in 2012.

SOURCE: MIAMI HERALD

SEE YA SEAN!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2013
  2. Drfletcherdc

Drfletcherdc A True Fan

$2-3million tops - I wouldn't pay him anymore than that.

3. LibertineOneThree

LibertineOneThree English Fin

Whichever team pays him that is going to look Gibril Wilson silly.

4. PBay Fin Fan

PBay Fin Fan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

The market will determine his value, unfortunately he will be way over paid for being such a soft, incomplete player.

5. Pat-London

Pat-London A True Fan

I'd rather keep Patterson at his currently salary than pay Smith any more than £2-3m/year. Although, we should try and renegotiate on Patterson if we can.

On the topic of CB's - One player I am keen on seeing how he develops in the off season is Bryan McCann.

6. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

First off, if Rotoworld is using Armando as a source, we should check them first for the crack use. Second, I agree, Brandon Carr money is way too much, but it was about what I expected the starting negotiations to begin from his agent. Third, the McCourty deal was an extension . . . so his deal is more like 6 years and 44 million . . . and that is getting closer to where I think Smith lands . . . somewhere between 6 and 7 million a year. I want to keep him, and personally, if he takes 5 years and 32.5 million (6.5) . . . I'd be happy to have him . . . but he has been too inconsistent to lose sleep over if he ends up signing elsewhere. I certainly don't want to overpay.

7. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

This is the problem we are going to have in general . . . it's the same problem we have at WR. Let's see how Matthews, 7-11 and Cunningham do . . . maybe we have the answers on the team already. Lets bring in Legadu and Armstrong and hope they flash for us. The GM traded a legit starting CB who was making 1 million a year and now we risk losing our only other legit starting CB and are left contemplating guys like Patterson, Carroll, Jimmy Wilson and McCann in hopes of getting an answer. Sure you may get lucky . . . but more often than not you aren't going to win that battle in the skill positions game. You need a few legit guys to have a successful group of guys.

8. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

6-8 million, sign him up. 8 is probably high, 6.5 to 7 would be a deal I could feel good about.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2013
  9. LDaniel7

LDaniel7 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

That says a lot about SS. I was on the fence w. him, but after this fairy-world view of himself... off the fence. Let him go.

Better CBs for a lot less money.

LD

10. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Banned Hammered

Mccourty makes 7 mill. Sean is better. Can't blame him

11. dolfin530

dolfin530 Student of the Game

His asking price is baffling if true. I can't see anyone giving him more than $6 million a year.

12. Joneal7

Joneal7 Heheheheheheheh

you overpay in fa

13. NJPHINFAN79

NJPHINFAN79 A True Fan

For that price I say bye smith, for 6 or 7 I say resign

14. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

Last year starting caliber free agent corners got $10 million per season. If he takes $7 million, do it.

15. PSU Cane

PSU Cane Starter

Teams that overpay for average talent don't win. They only get into cap hell down the line.

You overpay for elite talent or if you are 1-2 guys away from putting you in the Super Bowl hunt. Miami is much more than 1-2 guys away from competing for a SB.

16. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

All our FA's know that Ireland has a fistful of cash this year and they are all going to ask more than they are worth. Smith it worth no more than 5M per year and that is being generous IMO. The guy is way overrated by Dolphans....he isn't a very good corner. He started out good at the beginning of the year...but go back and look how many PI's he was getting. The guy can only cover if he interferes.

17. 13Dolfan87

13Dolfan87 Scout Team Donator

See ya, Sean!

18. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

Exactly, besides there's been cornerbacks this year's playoffs that don't even make 4 million and played up to par or better than Smith has that last half of the regular season.

19. King Dingaling

King Dingaling Well-Known Member

Starting caliber CBs should make 8-10 million a year. The problem for Smith is that he's not a starting caliber CB. He was picked on like the skinny kid in gym class this year and makes no plays at all. His coverage skills are weak, his tackling is weak, and has 0 ball skills. Let him go and draft a CB or two this year. Another high pick thats never going to reach his potential and become a great player. Ireland busted on another pick, what else is new, let's move on.

20. electrolyte

electrolyte Banned Hammered

A smart football team that hopes to compete WILL NEVER overpay for a player like Smith.

Sean Smith is the worst CB in the NFL at getting Interceptions. As the OP also states, Pro Football Focus charted him with more combined first downs and touchdowns allowed than any NFL cornerback in 2012.

So, he doesn't get turnovers and he is among the worst statistically at allowing TD's and 1st downs.

Do not overpay. If he truly wants to leave, draft a replacement, or sign one.

21. toneakabigshot

toneakabigshot Active Member

Sean ( I aint realistic ) Smith,
    so long sucka...

22. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

Can't see Miami paying even $7 million for Smith, let alone 10. Adios, Sean.

23. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

This makes me want to roundhouse kick him in the throat. :lol:

What a f'ing clown, there is obviously no desire in TEAM wins to this man if he wants to eat up that much of our cap, kick his *** out the door, and by saying that, I mean it in the most literal form.

24. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

smith's price is likely to go down once all the other CBs hit the market. I'm betting he doesn't want to take the chance that he'll get less than 7 mil, and signs before the FA period.

25. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

Let Smith go. He can't make a play to save his life. He is a below average number 2 corner. If there is any doubt, cue up the Indianapolis game. I'd sign him for average number 2 corner money, but that's not what he wants. So, let him walk.

Sign Lewis from the Steelers to take his spot. Possibly Grimes if his injury healed. People say Rodgers-Cromartie is over-rated, but he can at least make a play from time to time. DRC may give up some plays, but so does Smith.

26. Krush

Krush Finaholic Donator

If he's soft then why pay him anything? just let him walk 5-6 milllion just to have him on the team, when he can't intercept the empire state building, and he gets beat plenty by wide receivers, he gives up first downs because he's scared to get beat, so he let's the receiver catch the ball and then he tackles them, as a matter of fact my Grandma could shake on smith.

27. DudeWithSwag

DudeWithSwag Member

he is not worth that amount of money.

28. Krush

Krush Finaholic Donator

I agree, if he's not on sports center he ain't doing squat but being basic.

29. D0lphan72

D0lphan72 War... War never changes Finheaven VIP Donator

the fact bhe wantgs over 5 million is amazing to me lol

30. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

Well if there is one thing we have all learned about Jeff Ireland it is this, he doesn't like to overpay, or even pay what they are worth. I'm not sure if his hard nose negotiating tactics are good or not, but thats the way he is. There is NO WAY he overpays for Smith. Hes gonna low ball him so hard it'll make his head spin. We may end up keeping him for a reasonable price, but dont expect us to try and match any offers he gets. We will offer him a contract that Ireland thinks is the most he can give him, and they will stick to it even if it means he walks.

31. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

Sean "ShutDown" Smith sure has fallen from the good graces of FH.:tumbleweed:

32. royalshank

royalshank Practice Squad All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

On what basis does this guy set his expectations? He has 5 career INTs in 64 GS. He is a poor tackler. He doesn't make plays on the ball. He doesn't shut down opposing WRs - the only thing he's good at is playing press coverage against the bigger, slower WR types. He walks we won't notice. Spend the money on Long before Smith. And if we franchise him it suggests Ireland is completely incompetent.

33. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Keenan Lewis come on down.

34. Pat-London

Pat-London A True Fan

The biggest thing that bothers me about Sean Smith is... he is soft! Translation - he's not a football player.

Royalshank referred to his production of 5 INT's in 64 Games... he's the defensive version of Brian Hartline. Good player, makes some plays, hasn't developed himself physically and doesn't produce.

35. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

To be fair it's not like he's gonna come out and say he wants 5 mil to start off negotiations....let him walk though, cop a CB in the first round of the draft, sign Jennings/Wallace and grab a DE and another WR in other rounds.

36. 67Stang

67Stang FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Smith is and average at best cover corner and a below average tackler. Those saying 7 millions a year need to puff puff pass to Sean!

37. bmacnasty20

bmacnasty20 Member

If Ireland pays him that kind of money, he needs to be walked out of the team facilities immediately, no way hes worth that.

38. Digital

Digital Starter

I've been a Smith fan since before we drafted him, but I gotta say that's simply not going to happen anywhere. If he's looking at 8M+ a year, we can and will replace him. For a converted WR, he really has terrible ball skills. Our team set a record for LEAST TAKEAWAYS EVER by a Miami Dolphins team. I can't imagine that the CB who doesn't stop 1st downs or TD's at a good rate and doesn't create takeaways is going to get 10M a year. It just doesn't make sense.

Everybody is going bonkers about Jake Long's salary ... he's twice the player Smith is and at a muuuuuuuch harder to replace position.

I'm guessing this is all a massive bluff. The FA market will not pay more than 7M and I bet he resigns with us for 6.5M-7M. If someone is willing to give him more than 7M, congrats.

39. number1fin

number1fin #onephin Donator

For a guy who's head is in the sky, you'd think he'd be able to locate the football when it's in the air every once in awhile...

[​IMG]

And he acts as if he made the game winning play with his incomplete arms celebration every time he makes a routine play.

LET.HIM.GO!

Dude is not good, at all. Just like Vontae, he's the very type of player we need to lose on this team.

40. royalshank

royalshank Practice Squad All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

Right on! Plus he tackles like the tooth fairy.