Isaiah Ford :steal of the draft . | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Isaiah Ford :steal of the draft .

Josh Dobbs is the steal of the draft IMO..
Unfortunately there is no crystal ball in my life.

To borrow a phrase from Tommy Lasorda, Josh Dobbs couldn't hit water if he fell out of a ****ing boat.

I remember when he was coming out of high school, Louisville was hot and heavy on him. It came down to us and VA Tech for him and I was very disappointed when he chose VA Tech. He definitely could have had a better college career here instead of there but I digress. I still checked in on him from time to time, even though we have yet to play VA Tech since joining the ACC. The kid can play for sure. Is he the "steal of the draft"? I don't know about that, it's such a subjective term. But the kid can play and I bet he makes the 53 as the last reciever. Whether or not he'll actually be active on game days, well...

Not sure if that's supposed to be a joke?
May wanna do your homework if it isn't.

He is a bad quarterback because he fails miserably in one of the key aspects of quarterbacking: being able to throw a football accurately.

He is bad at that. He is really bad at that.

Gonna be a lot of air mail between Dobbs and Landry Jones at Steelers practice, hooo boy.

Dobbs is not a good QB I concur. Make him a WR

He is a bad quarterback because he fails miserably in one of the key aspects of quarterbacking: being able to throw a football accurately.

He is bad at that. He is really bad at that.

Gonna be a lot of air mail between Dobbs and Landry Jones at Steelers practice, hooo boy.

And you can't coach accuracy. If a QB is accurate you can help improve it, but you can't bring that trait out of a player if it already isn't instilled in him.

And you can't coach accuracy. If a QB is accurate you can help improve it, but you can't bring that trait out of a player if it already isn't instilled in him.

I am not an expert on quarterback coaching, but a lot of people who are knowledgeable on the subject have opined that a player's accuracy can be greatly improved by improving the fundamentals of their throwing mechanics. Tom Brady, for instance, used to work out religiously (even sometimes during the season) with a personal quarterbacks coach and the primary goal of that was making sure his fundamentals -- head to feet -- were as sound as possible. I think that's something that also improves with repetition and if the player has a vision deficiency that can be corrected either with lenses or laser surgery.

Anyway, it's possible that Ford is the steal of the draft, but he's a wide receiver who probably won't play special teams. He has a very tough row to hoe just to make the roster.

He doesn't look that impressive from the highlights that I watched. Not a bad player at all - but nothing really stands out. Not sure he is much better than Matt Hazel or the Brandon guy we had here a couple years ago.

I am not an expert on quarterback coaching, but a lot of people who are knowledgeable on the subject have opined that a player's accuracy can be greatly improved by improving the fundamentals of their throwing mechanics. Tom Brady, for instance, used to work out religiously (even sometimes during the season) with a personal quarterbacks coach and the primary goal of that was making sure his fundamentals -- head to feet -- were as sound as possible. I think that's something that also improves with repetition and if the player has a vision deficiency that can be corrected either with lenses or laser surgery.

Anyway, it's possible that Ford is the steal of the draft, but he's a wide receiver who probably won't play special teams. He has a very tough row to hoe just to make the roster.

Here's Bill Walsh's take.

Ability to learn:

A quarterback must have the ability to develop and adhere to the proper mechanics for playing quarterback. For some athletes the process will be intuitive - almost natural - requiring minimal effort on their part. For other individuals, the steps to understand and ingrain these abilities will require more time and hands-on instruction.

On the other hand, some quarterbacks will never be able to develop the mechanics required for their position to an acceptable degree, regardless of how much energy they expend trying. In reality, if they aren't able to acquire the proper attributes for playing quarterback within a reasonable period of time, it's quite likely they never will.

. . . coaches should be aware of the fact that, for the most part, that an athlete either has the ability to throw the ball properly or he doesn't. In reality, coaching usually has only a minimal effect on this skill. (i.e. "If an individual can't throw, he can't throw")

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom