Isaiah Ford :steal of the draft . | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Isaiah Ford :steal of the draft .

Being a "Ford Fan" I will say he will be the fastest in the 1/4 mile and around a superspeedway. :lol:

I'll tell you what I'm tired of hearing at draft time:

"he plays faster than he runs"

This needs to be retired as an expression.

This is something someone says when the measurables aren't there but they really fall in love with a prospect. You're not going to play faster than your straight line, no resistance 40 time. It's really not possible. You're going to have obstacles on the field. Yes, a guy might be a better football player than runner, so he gets off of blocks well, gets open, runs good routes, has football instinct. But sorry, you're going to have to live with the fact that your man crush prospect, who runs a 4.61 might actually be more of a 4.7 slot man IF....and that's a big IF....he ever gets into a meaningful pro football game. Doesn't mean he can't make it, but IF he does, that's who you'll really be watching on Sundays.

Let's make a concerted effort to bury "he plays faster than he runs" forever. Hogwash!

Update: Concert cancelled due lack of tickets sold

Bill Walsh's book Finding the Winning Edge, in a chapter about player evaluation, describes exactly what I mentioned earlier in this thread. There is a big difference b/w a player's 40 time - track speed - and how a player plays on a football field - functional speed - which can only be found by watching him play or on film.

There are many strong and fast athletes, there are not many football players. And that's because you can not determine one with simplistic measurements.

Update: Concert cancelled due lack of tickets sold

Bill Walsh's book Finding the Winning Edge, in a chapter about player evaluation, describes exactly what I mentioned earlier in this thread. There is a big difference b/w a player's 40 time - track speed - and how a player plays on a football field - functional speed - which can only be found by watching him play or on film.

There are many strong and fast athletes, there are not many football players. And that's because you can not determine one with simplistic measurements.

Nice, and to cross-check that SoS said with FO's statistical findings, they've found NO historical correlation between 40 time and NFL success. In fact the ONLY combine number they've found so far that has any correlation with NFL success is the vertical jump(!).

I think they're off on Jones. He's going to be a solid NFL receiver and could see time opposite Sammy Watkins in Buffalo. Taylor, McCoy, Watkins, Jones and Clay gives the Bills offense some nice talent at the skilled positions on offense. It will be interesting to see if their new coach opens things up more than Ryan did.

They're not picking Watkins' option, though, right? He'll be leaving after this year. Boy, Buffalo has become a mess.

I think FO's comment about what Playmaker says about Jones is interesting, but bear in mind this is pure number crunching:

Jones' weakest point is a low average of 10.7 yards per reception. Possession receivers in college tend not to succeed in the NFL, even as possession receivers. College wide receivers with lower yards per reception numbers can succeed in the NFL, but they tend to be "gadget" wide receivers who are heavily involved in the running game. Jones had only four rushing attempts in 2016, which is not an unusually low level for a pro prospect, but certainly well below where he would need to be to make up ground for his low yards per reception

I wouldn't be surprised if they're wrong about Jones because these models will never ever be perfect, but it's interesting what they've found about yards per reception in college.

Just to chime in on this, most mock drafts I saw had Ford as a 2nd-3rd rd pick with fox's final mock having him as the 50th overall selection...him and the LSU DT both appear to have slid right into our laps...I think Ford will easily make the team over Grant.

Totally wasted pick. There was still real talent at positions of need and we draft a slow WR who will never see the field, not even on ST's.

Didn't Yeremiah Bell run a 4.7 40? I could've sworn I witnessed him run down a Jamaal Charles when the latter had a 20 yard head start.

7th round is about development not need. As for the steal of the draft that goes to Denver for getting Jake Butt in the 5th round. He was a legitimate late first or second rounder before his ACL injury in Michigan's bowl game.

Jake Butt is an Azz

Doubt he makes the team but I think he make the practice squad

6th and 7th round picks are extremely low risk picks, so anybody who is pissed off at a pick in this area of the draft needs to take a xanax and chill the F out.

Isaiah Ford likely won't make the team, which because of his draft position, doesn't really cause alarm. If he does make it and contributes, it's great value. Either way, it's nothing to raise your blood pressure over.

Just to chime in on this, most mock drafts I saw had Ford as a 2nd-3rd rd pick with fox's final mock having him as the 50th overall selection...him and the LSU DT both appear to have slid right into our laps...I think Ford will easily make the team over Grant.

If Grant can stop the fumbles he won't lose his punt/kick return job to anyone.. to special with the ball in his hands.. But I do see Ford taking the 4th/5th wr spot..

Ford was rated pretty high, I think #4 WR in the nation by some teams. He was mocked in the 2nd and 3rd round by some too. How does he not make the team? Who else do we have? We only have 3 receivers who are starting material. The rest not so much. He can easily make a 5 man WR lineup

Ford was rated pretty high, I think #4 WR in the nation by some teams. He was mocked in the 2nd and 3rd round by some too.

Yet he lasted to the 7th, amazing how none of those other teams who had him rated 4th wide receiver
in the nation didn't take a mid to late round flyer on him.

Yet he lasted to the 7th, amazing how none of those other teams who had him rated 4th wide receiver
in the nation didn't take a mid to late round flyer on him.
amazing how tom brady wasn't drafted until the 6th.

7th round WR is the steal of the draft? It's a little early to be drinking, brother.

These are always my favorite. A person catches a glimpse of the irrelveant 40 time and exclaims the player is "slow" while completely ignoring or ignorantly overlooking functional speed.

I could be wrong but didn't Ricky run a 4.57-4.59?

That's a prime example of why it is far from an exact science.

Ricky would run by those 4.4 DBs like nothing. Love that dude lol

Back
Top Bottom