Isaiah Ford :steal of the draft . | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Isaiah Ford :steal of the draft .

Well of course the kid looked like a stud in the 2016 blowout of BC. I saw one play I think were he didn't get his head around quick enough on a slant and caused that interception but at that point it was 35-0 I think so whatever.

I'd be curious to watch film from the Tennessee and G-tech game.

Boy, people are really going out on a limb here proclaiming that a 7th round pick is going to at best end up on the practice squad. No 7th round pick is flawless, but he really does look like a potential contributor down the road. He is "fast enough". He gets open. The kid is the most prolific reciever from a school that has produced a number of good NFL wideouts, and he did it with very mediocre QB's throwing to him. Every draft pick is a gamble, and the later the pick the lower odds of that gamble paying off, but given where he was picked, Ford is a very good gamble. Just don't be surprised if he ends up as our 4th WR when the season starts.

He is slow and undersized as well. What is he? 194, and he ran 4.58 at his pro day and 4.61 combine,and he doesn't even project as a slot receiver. The better choice by far would have been Austin Carr from Northwestern.

Not only that, his shuttle and three cone were slow as well. Total and complete wasted pick.

Lol some hot takes you got here bro.
Betting and doubling down vs a 7th rd pick...
Wasted pick! Bad very bad!
You dont like it so its wrong, The prevalence of this logic is incredible

You're wrong on that, I've had people have a better 40 than myself but couldn't touch me on the field. And I'm talking not even close
No, I'm not wrong on that. It's not possible to be wrong on that.

Think about what you wrote: If guys were better than you in the 40 but slower in football games than you were......guess what that means? Not that you are a "faster football player" than your time but that they are just "slower football players" than the times that they run. See how that works? Think about it.

Actually there is a difference. Many players lose much of their speed once they put pads on and some don't.
40 times are taken in shorts and with track shoes, not cleats.
Secondly, many of these 4.3 guys lose a lot of speed coming out of their breaks, whereas, many of the "slower" receivers who run precise routes lose very little.
If 40 times were all that mattered Randall (Thrill) Hill would be in the HOF and Jerry Rice would be an afterthought.
OK, now this I will buy. See, here's some actual legit reasons why 40 times really aren't the end all, be all for playing football and why the measurements don't always tell who will make for better pro players. But spare me the "I run faster in games than in my 40 time" when I am actually able to dress lighter, have no resistance, run a straight line, etc.

At first I didn't think anything of him , he seemed like just a throwaway pick that wouldn't make the 53 man roster. Then I took a look at his film because I remembered how Matthews turned out for us . And after going to draftbreakdown.com and looking at his film I going to say He was the most slept on player in this draft . For him to be 6'1 , 6'2 and be the Virginia Tech's main red zone threat is impressive. His leaping ability is really surprising and his route running is extremely good . He ran a 4.61 and they say that's why he fell in the draft but from the tape he plays at a 4.4 speed. Constantly beating cornerbacks deep with some credit going to his route running. Go look at his games vs Tulsa , Pitt , ECU , and Boston College. And not to mention his quarterback sucked , BOTH OF HIM. Carroo or Grant are going to have a hard time beating him out when camp comes around.

I like what I hear and see about Ford, but the steal of the draft will be hard for him to take. If he makes the team he will still be so far fromhitting the field. Our 4th and 5th WR last season had 3 catches combined. You never know with injuries, but he has a very steep climb.

I do think he has a very good chance to push Grant off the team. Grant no where near being ready to be wr, and fumbled so many punts last year. Grant also can't contribute on covering kicks. If Ford plays well on special teams, his upside as a WR is much higher than Grant.

He is slow and undersized as well. What is he? 194, and he ran 4.58 at his pro day and 4.61 combine,and he doesn't even project as a slot receiver. The better choice by far would have been Austin Carr from Northwestern.

Not only that, his shuttle and three cone were slow as well. Total and complete wasted pick.

good god man, do you have any idea what jerry rice ran in the 40? Of course you don't otherwise you'd already know speed doesn't = greatness.

good god man, do you have any idea what jerry rice ran in the 40? Of course you don't otherwise you'd already know speed doesn't = greatness.

Good point! Jarvis Landry is the slowest WR on our roster including Ford. It seems to be working out pretty good.

Doesn't seem too long ago that Miami's receivers were among the least talented group in the NFL.

Now the team has some serious talent there, especially if DaVante Parker emerges the way many people expect. Interesting that Isaiah Ford has some of the same skill sets as Parker, at least with his ability to go up and get the ball. Interesting prospect and should be a serious camp battle at wide receiver this year for Miami.

No, I'm not wrong on that. It's not possible to be wrong on that.

Think about what you wrote: If guys were better than you in the 40 but slower in football games than you were......guess what that means? Not that you are a "faster football player" than your time but that they are just "slower football players" than the times that they run. See how that works? Think about it.
The effect is the same. No, he's not faster on the football field than the track, but if he doesn't lose speed going from the track to the field and the other players do, then he has negated their speed advantage.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

When Miami selected Rishard Matthews in the 7th round, I know there were a lot of people who had no real idea who he was, and were disappointed with the pick. Most likely based off an expert's mock draft somewhere.

However, I simply couldn't understand how he was still on the board. I was shocked. I knew there weren't 226 players better than him, as Miami had taken him with the 227th pick. I had given him a 3rd round grade.

It eventually lead me to create a thread.....Why Rishard Matthews had a 3rd Round Grade. I'm still waiting to see the 226 players that were better than him.

The pick of Isaiah Ford here for Miami has a lot of the same characteristics. I had him graded much higher. Rest assured, there weren't 236 better players than this kid in the draft.

I agree, but we didn't have the talent we do at receiver now back then.

Boy, people are really going out on a limb here proclaiming that a 7th round pick is going to at best end up on the practice squad. No 7th round pick is flawless, but he really does look like a potential contributor down the road. He is "fast enough". He gets open. The kid is the most prolific reciever from a school that has produced a number of good NFL wideouts, and he did it with very mediocre QB's throwing to him. Every draft pick is a gamble, and the later the pick the lower odds of that gamble paying off, but given where he was picked, Ford is a very good gamble. Just don't be surprised if he ends up as our 4th WR when the season starts.

They forget...Mark Clayton was an 8th-round pick.

These are always my favorite. A person catches a glimpse of the irrelveant 40 time and exclaims the player is "slow" while completely ignoring or ignorantly overlooking functional speed.

Remember when Landry was slow? I wonder how that worked out. Isaiah was an absolute stud at VT and I couldn't be happier the best wideout at my college is on my NFL team

Back
Top Bottom