Isaiah Ford :steal of the draft . | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Isaiah Ford :steal of the draft .

If he is really good, we might be able to stash him in the practice squad. Otherwise, hopefully he raises the competition at camp and motivates guys like Grant and Caroo. He is now a Dolphin and I wish him good luck as he starts his career.

When Miami selected Rishard Matthews in the 7th round, I know there were a lot of people who had no real idea who he was, and were disappointed with the pick. Most likely based off an expert's mock draft somewhere.

However, I simply couldn't understand how he was still on the board. I was shocked. I knew there weren't 226 players better than him, as Miami had taken him with the 227th pick. I had given him a 3rd round grade.

It eventually lead me to create a thread.....Why Rishard Matthews had a 3rd Round Grade. I'm still waiting to see the 226 players that were better than him.

The pick of Isaiah Ford here for Miami has a lot of the same characteristics. I had him graded much higher. Rest assured, there weren't 236 better players than this kid in the draft.

My first reaction like the OP said to this pick was a comparison to Rishard Mathews, if he can be anywhere near as good for us as Mathews was he'll be well worth the 7th round pick we used. Would have like us to have taken a roll of the dice on Chad Kelly down there, but happy enough with this choice, if a 7th rounder makes the 53 he's done remarkably well, making the PS should be the target for the kid.

You need to go look, This guy has mad skills, Jerry Rice wasn't fast either or anquan bolden or landry but they are ballers, stop worrying about speed, it's good to have but everbody don't.

Plus people forgot some players have "game speed" that they don't show in the 40. You can't measure a players competitive drive.

He's not slow, he ran closer to 4.5 at his pro day. And in case you hadn't noticed, the 40 time is a bit overrated. The HOF has plenty of guys that were deemed too slow and Anquan Boldin may be joining them one day.

And apparently every team in the league disagrees with your scouting on Mathis and Dimick...

He is slow and undersized as well. What is he? 194, and he ran 4.58 at his pro day and 4.61 combine,and he doesn't even project as a slot receiver. The better choice by far would have been Austin Carr from Northwestern.

Not only that, his shuttle and three cone were slow as well. Total and complete wasted pick.

I'll tell you what I'm tired of hearing at draft time:

"he plays faster than he runs"

This needs to be retired as an expression.

This is something someone says when the measurables aren't there but they really fall in love with a prospect. You're not going to play faster than your straight line, no resistance 40 time. It's really not possible. You're going to have obstacles on the field. Yes, a guy might be a better football player than runner, so he gets off of blocks well, gets open, runs good routes, has football instinct. But sorry, you're going to have to live with the fact that your man crush prospect, who runs a 4.61 might actually be more of a 4.7 slot man IF....and that's a big IF....he ever gets into a meaningful pro football game. Doesn't mean he can't make it, but IF he does, that's who you'll really be watching on Sundays.

Let's make a concerted effort to bury "he plays faster than he runs" forever. Hogwash!
You're wrong on that, I've had people have a better 40 than myself but couldn't touch me on the field. And I'm talking not even close

When Miami selected Rishard Matthews in the 7th round, I know there were a lot of people who had no real idea who he was, and were disappointed with the pick. Most likely based off an expert's mock draft somewhere.

However, I simply couldn't understand how he was still on the board. I was shocked. I knew there weren't 226 players better than him, as Miami had taken him with the 227th pick. I had given him a 3rd round grade.

It eventually lead me to create a thread.....Why Rishard Matthews had a 3rd Round Grade. I'm still waiting to see the 226 players that were better than him.

The pick of Isaiah Ford here for Miami has a lot of the same characteristics. I had him graded much higher. Rest assured, there weren't 236 better players than this kid in the draft.

Totally agree with Rishard, he may been my favorite 7th round selection we've ever had. Ford reminds me so much of Derek Hagan, style of play, speed, accolades etc.

How many of our 7th rounders have been worth a damn since they started relegating the draft to 7 rounds, one or two? Hopefully he can contribute sometime in the future but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I'll tell you what I'm tired of hearing at draft time:

"he plays faster than he runs"

This needs to be retired as an expression.

This is something someone says when the measurables aren't there but they really fall in love with a prospect. You're not going to play faster than your straight line, no resistance 40 time. It's really not possible. You're going to have obstacles on the field. Yes, a guy might be a better football player than runner, so he gets off of blocks well, gets open, runs good routes, has football instinct. But sorry, you're going to have to live with the fact that your man crush prospect, who runs a 4.61 might actually be more of a 4.7 slot man IF....and that's a big IF....he ever gets into a meaningful pro football game. Doesn't mean he can't make it, but IF he does, that's who you'll really be watching on Sundays.

Let's make a concerted effort to bury "he plays faster than he runs" forever. Hogwash!

Actually there is a difference. Many players lose much of their speed once they put pads on and some don't.
40 times are taken in shorts and with track shoes, not cleats.
Secondly, many of these 4.3 guys lose a lot of speed coming out of their breaks, whereas, many of the "slower" receivers who run precise routes lose very little.
If 40 times were all that mattered Randall (Thrill) Hill would be in the HOF and Jerry Rice would be an afterthought.

How much sense does this make? How often does the 7th pick in the draft become "the steal of the draft" And why is it fine to call a player "the steal of the draft" if you have never seen play other then on film a day ago...

You can't not call him the steal of the draft using the same logic.

FWIW, FO's analytics index Playmaker gave Ford an 85% and ranked him as the 12th WR in the draft in projected production (32 WRs were drafted). The ranking incorporates expected draft position, but 85% was actually the 9th highest in the class. Playmaker also liked undrafted KD Cannon and Jalen Robinnette, and it says Zay Jones will be bust.

Just something to keep tabs on for the kicks.

FWIW, FO's analytics index Playmaker gave Ford an 85% and ranked him as the 12th WR in the draft in projected production (32 WRs were drafted). The ranking incorporates expected draft position, but 85% was actually the 9th highest in the class. Playmaker also liked undrafted KD Cannon and Jalen Robinnette, and it says Zay Jones will be bust.

I think they're off on Jones. He's going to be a solid NFL receiver and could see time opposite Sammy Watkins in Buffalo. Taylor, McCoy, Watkins, Jones and Clay gives the Bills offense some nice talent at the skilled positions on offense. It will be interesting to see if their new coach opens things up more than Ryan did.

Also, Robinette went undrafted due to a change in policy by the DOD for the service academies regarding athletes and their option to postpone their 2 year service commitment. It literally came down a matter of hours prior to the draft.

Back
Top Bottom