It's Not All Jay Cutler, Folks | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It's Not All Jay Cutler, Folks

Cutler makes this entire offense look stupid and incompetent. Our OL is not that awful as some make it out to be. It can always be better but I would reckon it is an average OL most NFL QBs have to deal with.
It starts with him going under center and delaying the snap until under 5 seconds often snapping the ball with 1 second left. If he goes under center with 15 seconds left 95% of the time he steps back again and starts over.

It is also not the OL's fault if Cutler does not see his receivers like Stills and Parker one on one and having a step or two on their opponents. Instead he throws a hapless pass to a covered receiver (on the same side) 3 or 4 yards past the line of scrimmage.

This weekend I had the opportunity to talk to some people as a I spend some time at the training facility. Gase trusts Moore enough to be a backup. But he would never give Moore the starting nod for one simple reason: he could not control Moore.
Gase is a control freak. He wants the plays called in from the sidelines executed. If a deep pass is not in the call, no deep pass. If Moore sees a small window of opportunity down the field he'll take that especially if all his targets are covered.

That does not excuse Cutler's failure in my example above. That particular play was on 3rd and long (8 yards or so), Stills having beat his coverage by 2 or 3 steps and Landry being short (2 yards past the LOS) on the same side as Sills was (left) in tight coverage and Cutler rolling to his left. The pass went high.
This type of stuff happens quite often and has nothing to do with bad OL play. Opponents are stuffing the LOS stopping the run and daring Cutler to beat them.
I always said when Tannehill played that a good QB can elevate the play of his teammates and can make any OL look better than they are. That still holds true.

Weren't allowed? It was used after every loss lol
read it slowly again. I said,
The Tannehill supporters got blasted for saying the oline sucks in defense of his poor play.
But now it's OK for them to use the oline sucks for Cutler's play. I get the fact that the oline sucks and it's been that way for years. There was even one clown posting stats that cutler was the best at avoiding pressure. so if that's the case, you can't use the Oline sucks as an excuse.

What's up with the stat yesterday the commentator said about cutler the last 5 years being a top 5 qb in red zone turnovers.

I could have sworn someone else said preseason he was the top red zone efficiency turnovers wise qb in the league.

Something like 8 red zone ints in the last 5 years the commentator said.

You don't want to be a leader in a stat that takes points off the board.

Regarding the offense, here is where I am coming from:

1. Gase does not trust his OL. He's got Cutler on short dropouts looking for the quick throw before the defense gets to him. This is not working.
2. Steen and Bushrod are not getting any push in the running game. I like Gase but he can be loyal to a fault. A guy like Bushrod just kills us out there.Until Ted Freaking Larsen is back, I'd swap in Jesse Davis and Isaac Asiata at guard. Gase is obviously terrified of them in pass pro, but a way around that is to let them get a push in the running game. If you pound the ball in the run game, the defense has to think twice about pass rush because they are getting mauled in the run game. Overall our pass pro may benefit from a more brutalizing attack running the ball.
3. The defense is squatting on the short passes. If the run game can be more of a factor, Miami may be able to get away with more seven step drop throws. Let longer patterns develop because right now defenses are sitting on short passes at ridiculous levels. I'd also give Cutler more rollouts and work with him on his footwork to be more accurate. His throwing off his back foot is brutal. His happy feet at age 34 is disappointing. There is no law against teaching players this far into the season.
4. Pouncey has to play better and may just do that since his practice time has been so limited. He may shake the rust off.
5. If Kraig Urbick is healthy again, bring him back like you did with Hewitt. He's a better blocker than either guard we have now.
6. Bottom line, get some run blocking in, and pound the rock better, which could then open the field for downfield throws. The short passing game is not working with this crew. C'mon now, let's make the adjustments and let's get going.

Throwing to his dump way too early. Completely skipping progressions that are wide open

Look off freaking coverage in tight sets out of 11 vs those 11 man within 8 yards and we can torch it. But he's not looking squat off

3rd and 7 he is looking at the rush instead of trusting the protection and going thru damn progressions. Bailing out on a damn td cause he won't stand in.

Screw this he sucks

If an Oline intentionally plays poorly because they don't like the QB, then the Oline should be fired on the spot. F*** this is professional sports not HS team sports.

Cutler isn't part of the solution. Gase needs to bite the bullet and bench him

You know your play caller doesn't have faith in the passing game when he runs the ball on 2nd and 1 every time

That's when you should be taking shots.

Single high 10 men within 7 yards of the los off tackle run to drake nothing

Yuck.

Back
Top Bottom