J-Off's Board V1 | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

J-Off's Board V1

I have two questions:

1. Detroit picks in front of us and they need front seven help. Scheme-wise, will they be focused on the same players as Miami or will they prefer players with slightly different abilities for their scheme?

2. We don't have enough picks this year, seemingly, to draft strong players at all of our need/want positions. Strategically, which positions should we prioritize this year based on position depth in this draft, but also with an eye on whom will be available in 2018? Which positions will be lean/deep in 2018?

RW

Good questions! Detroit figures to be looking at a lot of the same defenders that Miami will. DE, LB, and even secondary. I hope they go offense or draft Charlton, Harris, or McKinley.

2017 is very strong at DE/Edge/OLB, S, CB. It's OK at LB and pretty poor for DT. It's still early for the 2018 group, but it seems unlikely that it will be as strong at DE/Edge, S, and CB. So, I'd target those positions for D. On offense, this class is solid and deep at WR (like almost every year that isn't exceptional), pretty poor for OL, very good for RB, and AMAZING for TE. Don't know that Miami can wait on OL, but, based on talent, I'd prioritize TE and RB.

I hope to write up a post discussing the broader picture of this draft, where I'll go into more detail.

I have two questions:

1. Detroit picks in front of us and they need front seven help. Scheme-wise, will they be focused on the same players as Miami or will they prefer players with slightly different abilities for their scheme?

2. We don't have enough picks this year, seemingly, to draft strong players at all of our need/want positions. Strategically, which positions should we prioritize this year based on position depth in this draft, but also with an eye on whom will be available in 2018? Which positions will be lean/deep in 2018?

RW

For the crowd that is wanting Willis I believe the biggest obstacle in front of him reaching to pick 22 is Detroit. He fits their D just like ours very well.

J-off, what do think of Stevie Tu'ikolovatu (NT) in the mid late round? I know he's a NT, but I think he might do well lined up along side Suh on the early downs. I don't know and I am guessing defenses have probably evolved since the days of big Timbo and Gardner, but I sure miss having DT's you could not run against. I want some serious beef at DT.

J-off, what do think of Stevie Tu'ikolovatu (NT) in the mid late round? I know he's a NT, but I think he might do well lined up along side Suh on the early downs. I don't know and I am guessing defenses have probably evolved since the days of big Timbo and Gardner, but I sure miss having DT's you could not run against. I want some serious beef at DT.

Haven't checked him out. I read up on him some, and he seems promising as a late-round guy. Has enough athleticism to work as a true NT, good run-stop %. I don't know if Miami is in the market to develop one, but I'll let you know what I think as soon as I watch him.

I've looked at Steve Tuikolovatu some and I just can't get all that interested in him. He's a fat guy and not even all that interesting as a fat guy. To me, if that's what you're going for, you go after Josh Tupou. That's the slam dunk if you're going for that archetype as a later round pick. Tupou is hellish strong, brutal, can actually move some, perfect on the nose or in the A gap.

Now I can perfectly understand if you eschew that type altogether, especially in this defensive line style (assuming they're not abandoning what Jim Washburn preaches). And if that's the case...

Jarron Jones is the first guy you should go after as a late round target. If he makes it to the 5th round, you pull the trigger. He is brutal, dominating with his incredible 7'1" wing span. Rumors of off field stuff. If it's real bad I guess you can forget it but if not, screw it, we're talking about a 5th round pick and he's perfect for that. His game against the Hurricanes should've been ruled a homicide.

Absent that I think you look at Ralph Green of Indiana with the 7th round pick or perhaps as a UDFA. He's tall, great wing span, has some heft to him. His build is a little sloppy and he will need some work that way. But he's very quick and explosive off the ball, getting his hips into the gap and then using his length to dominate and stay up.

I like both of these guys particularly for Miami's scheme and also because with their wide wing spans they can be taught to hold the offensive linemen and prevent them getting out to the second level. This is something that becomes more of an opportunity since they eliminated the chop block on run plays. Cut blocks are still legal, but not against a player that is already engaged. The chop block on run plays was a way for OLs to keep DLs honest and prevent them holding OLs to keep them from getting to the LB level. Now that it's gone, big wing span guys can do this more effectively without fear of the chop.

And all that aside, both these guys can penetrate and dominate the passing lanes with their long arms.

I can't find anything on Tupou but I will definitely take your word for it CK. I as well like the archetype of that huge player next to Suh, I mean it makes too much sense right?

I can't find anything on Tupou but I will definitely take your word for it CK. I as well like the archetype of that huge player next to Suh, I mean it makes too much sense right?

To me, it makes sense. We are talking about a mid to late round draft pick, right? If so, can we reasonably expect a guy to be ALL WORLD at run stopping AND rushing the QB? If I had to choose one skill over the other to pair with Suh then I go with run stopping, but heck I really don't know what I am talking about and what is preferable to our system. All I know is it looked to me like Mitchell and Phillips couldn't get the job done. Now we are down to just Philips and need another rotational player. I say bring on the beef and let's stop the run. Everything else is gravy. :-)

p.s. damn, beef...gravy... I am making myself hungry... ;-)

To me, it makes sense. We are talking about a mid to late round draft pick, right? If so, can we reasonably expect a guy to be ALL WORLD at run stopping AND rushing the QB? If I had to choose one skill over the other to pair with Suh then I go with run stopping, but heck I really don't know what I am talking about and what is preferable to our system. All I know is it looked to me like Mitchell and Phillips couldn't get the job done. Now we are down to just Philips and need another rotational player. I say bring on the beef and let's stop the run. Everything else is gravy. :-)

p.s. damn, beef...gravy... I am making myself hungry... ;-)

The draft is just really terrible for DT, though. I'd probably try to address DT depth with UDFA's. It's a **** show anyway. No need to waste picks on sub-standard prospects. CK's guy Jones would be interesting in the 5th, though. Great combo of strength and length.

I find some DTs in this draft sporadically that I have interest in. For a weak DT draft, that seems to be happening a lot.

But I'll say this, the weakness to me is in part contained within the TOP group. The guys everyone loves.

Jonathan Allen has severe medical issues that sometimes will stay away from PERIOD. Malik McDowell is rumored to have a bad work ethic and overall locker room presence, and even taking that aside you're not sure he wouldn't be best served swinging out to end because there aren't a whole lot of guys that look like him with his build playing defensive tackle. He ends up on the ground a lot, on tape. Chris Wormley just absolutely refuses to get off the football with any kind of explosiveness. I like the guy, I've compared him to Richard Sherman, but he just refuses to be explosive despite his speed characteristics. And again now you're left wondering if he's destined to swing out to end where he really won't be a pass rush presence. Caleb Brantley has never really done much for me. Dalvin Tomlinson has excellent hand use and strength characteristics, but ultimately is not very athletic and remains limited because of that.

I mean, really as we sit here the guy that has always turned me on and may in fact be the cleanest, highest talent defensive tackle that you can take is Montravious Adams. And that's stunning because of his questions about how much he "wants it" and his at times playing too high.

I feel pretty good about Jaleel Johnson and Carlos Watkins. But I feel just as good about Charles Walker depending on what investigations about the concussion and character issues turn up. And Jarron Jones, pending the character and medical investigations, both of which are pertinent because of rumors and his injury history. I feel pretty good about Eddie Vanderdoes.

I haven't looked at Larry Ogunjobi, Vincent Taylor, Elijah Qualls or Nazair Jones.

Anyone else and I'm just not interested because I can take the same dice roll without spending a draft pick. I do like Josh Tupou, as I do Ralph Green, DeAngelo Brown, Patrick Ricard, and Grover Stewart.

just sign Hankins and be done with DT

I can help you out with that.

First off, a preview. Two plays. One is a double-team against Josh Tupou (#58) on the goal line. The other involves Tupou splitting the center and guard in pass rush.

https://youtu.be/gBQisCCUGZo?t=69

Unfortunately nobody's out there making videos of Josh Tupou. But here's the USC linemen going up against Colorado. Be on the lookout for NT #58, WHEN he's on the field (which is half the time, as befits a NT).

https://youtu.be/_Y1F6iec6fY

The reason I like Tupou so much is because he fits so perfectly. I know exactly what I'm going to get out of him and how to fit him into the game, and when push comes to shove I just know he's going to be very tough for an offense to handle out there. The thing he gives you that perhaps some of the other HUGE players of the past (e.g. Daniel McCullers) maybe have not is that with Tupou I think he actually works down the line laterally on zone plays to maintain his gap control really well.

I watched him at Shrine practices and in the games and it was like, "Double teams? What double teams?" Just didn't matter. Too big and strong.

Thanks J-off and CK for your thoughts! I guess my line of thinking was off concerning the DT's. I had read it was a sorry class, but I didn't realize how bad. I know we need one, but if they aren't worth a damn then why waste a pick.

I find some DTs in this draft sporadically that I have interest in. For a weak DT draft, that seems to be happening a lot.

But I'll say this, the weakness to me is in part contained within the TOP group. The guys everyone loves.

Jonathan Allen has severe medical issues that sometimes will stay away from PERIOD. Malik McDowell is rumored to have a bad work ethic and overall locker room presence, and even taking that aside you're not sure he wouldn't be best served swinging out to end because there aren't a whole lot of guys that look like him with his build playing defensive tackle. He ends up on the ground a lot, on tape. Chris Wormley just absolutely refuses to get off the football with any kind of explosiveness. I like the guy, I've compared him to Richard Sherman, but he just refuses to be explosive despite his speed characteristics. And again now you're left wondering if he's destined to swing out to end where he really won't be a pass rush presence. Caleb Brantley has never really done much for me. Dalvin Tomlinson has excellent hand use and strength characteristics, but ultimately is not very athletic and remains limited because of that.

I mean, really as we sit here the guy that has always turned me on and may in fact be the cleanest, highest talent defensive tackle that you can take is Montravious Adams. And that's stunning because of his questions about how much he "wants it" and his at times playing too high.

I feel pretty good about Jaleel Johnson and Carlos Watkins. But I feel just as good about Charles Walker depending on what investigations about the concussion and character issues turn up. And Jarron Jones, pending the character and medical investigations, both of which are pertinent because of rumors and his injury history. I feel pretty good about Eddie Vanderdoes.

I haven't looked at Larry Ogunjobi, Vincent Taylor, Elijah Qualls or Nazair Jones.

Anyone else and I'm just not interested because I can take the same dice roll without spending a draft pick. I do like Josh Tupou, as I do Ralph Green, DeAngelo Brown, Patrick Ricard, and Grover Stewart.

Well put, CK! I think you'll like Ogunjobi as a 3-tech, but I don't see him as a fit for Miami - except as depth.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if Adams ends up the best DT in the class. Eats up man blocking, holds up well against DT's, and his speed doesn't hurt. If someone told me that Miami had to draft a DT in the first three rounds, Adams at 54 would be my target, assuming he lasts that long (don't think he should).

I think Wormley should play in a odd front. He's not a great fit anywhere in an even front, but I think he'll be very disruptive playing a 4/5-tech. He just doesn't have the juice to make a ton of plays as a 4-3 DE, and he's tall for a 3-tech/leverage could be an issue.

Agree on Brantley. Don't like him.

Watkins, Johnson, Jones and Vanderdoes are good calls for the 5th, but, because some teams will draft DT's just because they need them, I think they're likely to go higher than they should.

Well put, CK! I think you'll like Ogunjobi as a 3-tech, but I don't see him as a fit for Miami - except as depth.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if Adams ends up the best DT in the class. Eats up man blocking, holds up well against DT's, and his speed doesn't hurt. If someone told me that Miami had to draft a DT in the first three rounds, Adams at 54 would be my target, assuming he lasts that long (don't think he should).

I think Wormley should play in a odd front. He's not a great fit anywhere in an even front, but I think he'll be very disruptive playing a 4/5-tech. He just doesn't have the juice to make a ton of plays as a 4-3 DE, and he's tall for a 3-tech/leverage could be an issue.

Agree on Brantley. Don't like him.

Watkins, Johnson, Jones and Vanderdoes are good calls for the 5th, but, because some teams will draft DT's just because they need them, I think they're likely to go higher than they should.

I think you're exactly right on Wormley in an odd front. Exactly right. Just doesn't fit anywhere in an even front but you get him in an odd front with that size and athletic ability, he can do some work.

I went ahead and looked at the DTs a bit more in prep for a radio/podcast guest spot. Wanted to cover the guys I mentioned I hadn't really covered. When I do this I like to open up dozens of videos simultaneously and just watch all of them in rotation so that I can keep in mind how they differentiate and how they compare to one another.

It's interesting but when it comes to Carlos Watkins, Caleb Brantley, Vincent Taylor, Jaleel Johnson, and Nazair Jones...I'm almost agnostic as to which of those guys I get. Price tag would be a large determinant for me, though I would understand if you'd want to rate a Nazair Jones a little bit lower, essentially making an analytics call. All of the above are do your job types that have strong, long arms, good at keeping leverage, but their feet and movement skills are not in any way special, nor are they particularly brutal with their strength.

I look at Charles Walker and I see Larry Ogunjobi. I look at Larry Ogunjobi and I see Charles Walker. They're very similar inasmuch as they are guys who can actually move like linebackers. Like how a nose tackle used to actually be a middle linebacker that was brought up to the line of scrimmage in the evolution of defensive schemes. They don't move like fast linebackers mind you, but they do move like them. They can work through trash and cover a lot of lateral space with their mobility and change of direction skills. They are strong enough, very typical strength for a 295-300 lbs type. Long arms, keep blockers at bay. But to me their pure maneuverability makes them special. You can really put Chris Wormley into this group, except that I think he has a limitation to an odd-front scheme that Ogunjobi and Walker do not necessarily have.

Dalvin Tomlinson is a little bit different animal. He actually plays like a nose, to me. Call it a modern football nose rather than a classic nose. His hand use and hand strength are beyond reproach. He can play with the leverage and the strength of a nose, but he's got more lateral abilities than a classic nose. Still, this guy isn't an athlete. Too many athletic limitations for me to feel like he's adding pass rush prowess to the line.

Since we're on noses, as I've said before, Josh Tupou of Colorado is your classic nose. Sometimes the NFL doesn't even want a classic nose. They want the modern update like a Tomlinson. What I think gives Tupou a chance is the fact he's got a big wing span, and shows some ability to work down the line against zone. His strength against double-teams just can't be beat. Not anyone in this class has that kind of pure power and heft.

I look at Elijah Qualls and Steve Tuikolovatu and it's really hard for me to be all that impressed or interested. You're looking at Domata Peko types. Classic fat guys with some lateral skills, stout strength, but not much in the way of forward explosive abilities.

Montravious Adams and Jonathan Allen are a breed apart because they exhibit the characteristics that could work at defensive end, but that just makes them all the more intriguing at defensive tackle because they've got the strength, forward explosiveness, heft, hand fighting brutality, and balance qualities that you need to see in a defensive tackle. But then you watch them step on the accelerator and it blows your mind.

Jarron Jones and Ralph Green are interesting to me, and I have them as pretty similar players though Jarron gets the better grade. They're tall, excellent wing spans. We're talking 7'1" for Jarron Jones and 6'9.5" for Ralph Green. They're linear penetration types that use their length to great advantage, especially in dominating passing lanes, while also maintaining balance and stability within the gap. That's a tough combination to master, that ability to explode into the gap off the snap but also stay upright and keep your balance. The length is key, and it's why guys like Brian Price and Will Sutton haven't been able to excel. The brutality and strength of a Jarron Jones in terms of ability to get blockers off balance and put them on their heels, make them uncomfortable as hell, is very impressive. Ralph Green has some of that too, but his initial explosiveness off the snap is consistently great. Ralph is a bit sloppy in his body and could use some work that way. Jarron is rumored to have character/work ethic issues.

So long as they have the strength, heft, and balance to stay upright, guys with this sort of wing span, even if they come out a bit taller than you'd like, are going to do a little better in the NFL nowadays than they used to because the NFL did away with the chop block on run plays. You can still cut players on run plays, but they can't be engaged while you do it. It used to be a way for OLs to keep DLs honest about using their hands and wing spans to hold OLs as they try and execute combo blocks and get out to the second level to influence the linebackers. Now the DLs have more license to do that unless the officials start calling it more which thus far they haven't.

Eddie Vanderdoes is a lot like Jarron Jones and Ralph Green, but not quite the same length. He's all about that initial explosion and constant, brutal upper body contact. He likes to spin off blockers and I'm curious what a DL coach will think of that. He's brutal, no doubt about it. Very strong and explosive off the get. But he tails off in the mobility and maneuverability department pretty significantly after the first moments, as he all the sudden starts playing like a fat guy. Ralph Green has some of that going on as well, but I think it's a bit more pronounced in Vanderdoes, who has questions both medically and from the standpoint of achieving to his potential.

I thought that Jake Replogle represented a little bit of a different archetype until he announced he's quitting football, which is too bad because he could've been intriguing. Like a Jared Odrick. I think that Patrick Ricard somewhat resembles this but would probably more aptly be compared to a Karl Klug. I'd have some interest in Ricard as he's got the athletic characteristics to make good on the tape.

Grover Stewart is another guy that should hold some interest. You just don't often run into a guy that can carry 350 lbs on a 6'4" frame and sport that kind of a build with that kind of athletic ability. It's really unique. Actually I didn't realize he conducted his pro day but I'm looking over the results and they're as impressive as I thought they would be based on the tape. We are talking a 5.14 forty with a 1.73 ten yard split at 6042 & 347 lbs. That's a comparable ten yard split to like a Sheldon Rankins or Kenny Clark from a year ago. I don't remember a guy like this since Paul Soliai was coming out of Utah.

CK, thanks for the education and insight. I think we are sort of forced to go DT in the draft, so when we do hopefully it's a guy you talked about. I've kicked ole Stevie to the curb. Of course I don't know what I am really talking about and what is the best fit for our defense, but the guy I am hopeful for now is Tupou! I think Suh, Phillips, and Tupou would make a nice DT rotation.

Back
Top Bottom