Jackson notes

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Albert Romano, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

I am only going to highlight a few here-more at the link

-• Damien Williams, who will be an unrestricted free agent after the season, told two reporters (including me) that he very much wants to return to Miami and the Dolphins know that. The Dolphins want him back at the right price. Williams had 202 combined yards in three games starting after the Jay Ajayi trade before a shoulder injury that sidelined him the remainder of the season. 

-Gase said this week he plans to evaluate himself as a coach.

“That’s going to be something that’s going to be probably on the front burner for me,” he said. “I’m going to want to do that. I know I spend a lot of time with these two guys [Grier and Mike Tannenbaum] and they’re not shy about telling me when I screw up. I’m sure I don’t handle it well at first, but I usually come around.”

• The Dolphins are very pleased with Ndamukong Suh, who is in line for a contract restructure to create more cap space.

-Mike Pouncey 28th of 36 centers

-One other quick item: Miami signed speedy receiver Francis Owusu to a futures contract. Undrafted out of Stanford last year, Owusu spent the offseason and training camp with Miami before being waived with an injury settlement on Aug. 18. He averaged 14.2 yards on 34 college receptions. He joins UM’s Malcolm Lewis and Arkansas’ Drew Morgan as developmental receivers signed to futures contracts by the Dolphins.

http://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/s...ticle193017204.html?__twitter_impression=true

2. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Wow

I like signing Owusu and Morgan to the ps

Beach Bum 91 likes this.
  3. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

Lol. It's a pay me now pay me later thing with Suh. They've already pushed off his contact once with a restructure by averaging one year over the life of the contract. There isn't much more they can do .

1 dol fan likes this.
  4. dolphinheel

dolphinheel A True Fan

Not a D Williams fan at all. We need a bruising short yardage back to compliment Drake. A guy like L Blount would be fine with me. Also think we will draft a RB. I love Chubb.

5. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Unless the team is willing use a 1st or 2nd on a running back, I could live with signing Carlos Hyde to a reasonable deal and drafting Mark Walton from Miami and Josh Adams of Notre Dame on day 3. Put a couple guards in front of those backs and Tannehill will see a lot of 8 in the box looks. If you don't want to spend two of your three picks in the 3rd or 4th round range on running backs than you could just draft Walton and then spend a late pick on Jordan Chunn from Troy as between the tackles backup to Hyde.

Also if Landry does leave I would be fine with signing Tevon Austin to play the slot and Paul Richardson outside if the price right on the two. Could you imagine those backs with RIchardson, Parker Stills, Austin, Grant and either Isiah Ford, Leonte Caroo or some other cheap developmental receiver.

Elle Clouds likes this.
  6. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

Please no Damien Williams. Please God.

7. Ren

Ren Rookie

Why? He's a solid 3rd down back, and seems to have gotten past his bone head mistakes of the past. If the price is right, there's a role for him that he fills well.

8. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

Williams is a nice compliment to a back like Ajayi, but he doesn't bring anything to the table that you're missing from Drake. We need to draft a big physical back to go along with Drake.

I'd take him as a #3 RB but he won't accept that pay scale.

9. Tureo

Tureo Seasoned Veteran

Williams is ok as a #3 but I would look to upgrade if were the #2 which he is right now. I hope the FO doesn't make a desperate move at WR if we lose Landry but I can't imagine us losing Jarvis and going into the season with stills, DVP, and Caroo.

Michael Scott likes this.
  10. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

That column is 60% about quarterbacks...but no mention of quarterbacks in the thread.

11. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

there are dynamic backs in this draft to help move the ball. Hanging on a guy like this, with sub par play, is why we are a mediocre team

retarmyfinfan2 and Wishfishin like this.
  12. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

yeah no one mentioned that Grier says every position is open vs Gase saying RT is the starter. It's this dichotomy that has broken this team the past year. But bc Gase said it, the RT backers finally had something to hang their hats on. Look, Miami (the front office) knows this could be a last year. However, if they can develop a qb this year (in a bad year) and have him ready for year 2, like Goff and Wentz, they could keep their job. Having a young QB ready to step up in year two would be attractive for a new head coach

13. gregorygrant83

He might have to, is there a team willing to pay him a number two back? If it's not as a number 3/ third down back I don't think he'll be highly sought after. And if he did turn down a third back role I would lose much sleep over him leaving. Sign Carlos Hyde as your between the tackles runner to pair with Drake and draft someone like Mark Walton as the third down back.

Tannchise likes this.
  14. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

Hyde seems to be a good fit, but now with a franchise qb, Im sure SF wants to keep him

15. gregorygrant83

49ers don't like Hyde's fit in their offense. I could see them drafting a back like Darius Guice.

16. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

I don't agree with the premise that "there are too many holes to take a QB in round 1". 2017 showed us that QB2 is a hole to fill and Allen or Mayfield would not only instantly upgrade the back-up spot but probably be able to take over QB1 someday. Imo, you can find good players at the other positions of need(G, LB, TE) in later rounds.

Vaark likes this.
  17. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

Why are the dolphins so insistent on restructuring Suh's contract? We can free up the money we need to resign players, sign FAs and pay our draft picks all without touching Suh's contract. I don't thing this year we will be spending large amounts of money on FAs so this need to restructure Suh's contract should be nil.

Dakar001 and kcbrown like this.
  18. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

I don't know if this is coming from inside the front office or if it is all speculation on the beat writers part. If I had to guess it is speculation on the writers part at this point. I'm not even sure what they would do with Suh's contact at this point.

CaneHammer likes this.
  19. Csonked Out

Csonked Out FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I take this as meaning we will only take a QB if Darnold or Rosen fall to 11, which I agree with. I can't stand developmental QB's like Allen in the 1st round, far to often they turn into Blaine Gabbert Careers as they never figure it out between the ears.

I have my eyes on Luke Falk out of Washington State in the 4th round if possible. Good pocket awareness, accurate, and has the size and arm. That is the kind of QB I see us taking, good enough to step in for a game or two and enough potential to develop into a good starter long-term.

20. Csonked Out

I want that 2020 out that he current has after the last restructure. Bite the bullet and pay the man this year to get it over with.

joenhre, Danny, NY8123 and 1 other person like this.
  21. Csonked Out

Hitting on Jimmy G, completely changed there entire outlook on this off-season.

22. CaneHammer

CaneHammer Rookie Finheaven VIP

I hope they leave it alone and look at other ways to create a little bit of space. They need to stick to drafting and supplementing with role players in FA. Unless of course a rare talent slips into FA. After Suh, I do not think that will happen again. The only positions I would consider in this scenario would be shutdown CB, franchise QB, pass rusher (DE or OLB).

Dakar001 likes this.
  23. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

This draft is deep at RB in rounds 2-4. We should be able to find a solid compliment for Drake with one of our two fourth rounders if we don't take a back earlier.

Dakar001 likes this.
  24. Fintastic17

Fintastic17 A True Fan

Maybe the fact that they're restructuring Suh again says that they have their eye on a specific bunch of FAs at a certain price range?
    We all know TBaum likes to splash here and there. Maybe someone like J. Graham is in our their plans, Or even Ziggy to reunite with Suh.
    Who knows!

25. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I believe they just need to leave the contract for Suh alone. They made their bed....just get it over with instead of prolonging the agony. When will they learn?

As far as taking a QB at 11.....I'm not a fan of Mayfield at that spot. I'd rather take Allen but I heard a rumor that the Browns actually will take them at #1. Don't know if that's true or not

Williams would be ok as a #3 and I agree that we should bring in a big back to compliment Drake but whoever they bring has to be good at catching passes or else Gase won't want him

Ozzy rules!!

spiketex and Dakar001 like this.
  26. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

Looks like jackson feels like alot of us others.

The Dolphins are committed to Ryan Tannehill as their starter in 2018. But they’re not opposed to adding another young quarterback, too.

But unless they absolutely fall in love with Allen and Mayfield (if they’re available at 11), I would be surprised if they go quarterback at No. 11. They have more pressing needs than quarterback, and this team must be better in 2018 (for front office job security and other reasons). Miami doesn’t have the luxury to draft a player at No. 11 who wouldn’t play as a rookie

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Dakar001 and Vaark like this.
  27. Danny

So drafting a player with your first round pick that doesn't contribute in his first year is a bad thing.......how come nobody has told the Dolphins that for the last 10 years? When was the last time we drafted a player in the first round that actually made a huge impact in his first year?

Ozzy rules!!

28. Ryan1973

Ryan1973 Pro Bowler

I would say Tunsil two years ago. He started at LG from the get go and played way better at LG compared to LT this past season.

29. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Burn the Jolly Roger Moderator Finheaven VIP

Ronnie Brown?

30. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I figured suh would be the primary restructure candidate

stays healthy grades out very well every week

31. Danny

Ronnie Brown who drafted after passing on Rodgers.....please don't remind me....lol

Ozzy rules!!

32. royalshank

royalshank Practice Squad All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

He’s the anti-lousaka polite - he’s like 1-30 on converting 3rd and 4th and 1.

33. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

Suh's gotta be thinking about the hall of fame at this point in his career. It's in his best interest to stay with Miami and carve out a legacy here to go along with the shorter one he had in Detroit.

I am confident both Suh and Tannehill will free up some money because i think it's in both of their best interest's to stay in Miami for as long as possible as both will be defined as Dolphins first and foremost no matter where they might end up in the future.

34. Anvil35

Anvil35 Leave Users Titles Alone!! Finheaven VIP Donator

I agree with you on Hyde. I read an article early in the season that Shanahan had his running back of the future in Joe Williams but he hurt something early in preseason and was out the whole year...I think Hyde will ask for too much money though!!

35. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran Finheaven VIP

Agree 100 percent. Really like Falk.

36. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I’ve heard you guys say that. That’s one I want to look into. Pre snap and progression is what I’d look for

37. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

Pretty sure I heard Pouncey say just a few weeks ago this is the best season he's had. PFF doesn't do a good job grading players and their point system is tragically flawed (especially when it comes to the subjective play of linemen) but they have the grade on Pouncey correct. 28 f 32 sounds about right.

38. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran Finheaven VIP

Would love your thoughts. I really like his accuracy and touch. A Kirk Cousins type. Injuries ate a concern.

hoops likes this.
  39. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Accuracy is a big deal but placement even more critical cause our o relies on rac so much. Proper shoulder relative to leverage etc. I will let you know what I see. Maybe even get into it this weekend

Injuries or arm help you get kids late on day 2 or day 3 even. I got no issue with it cause miami isn’t looking for a starter but developmental 2 deep with upside. This year at least

SF Dolphin Fan likes this.
  40. superphin

superphin Starter Finheaven VIP

People want to put down Landry because of 8.8 at least his career avg is 10.1, Austin career avg is 8.7 (and he's a speed guy) his best year was 58 catches for 509 yards. He's had 2 years of 0 TD production and he weighs 174 lbs. I don't want to imagine an offense in which a 174 lb below avg wr is our slot guy.

cullenbigcstill likes this.