Jackson notes | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jackson notes

All depends on the usage. If a vast majority of those passes are short throwns that are basicly extensions of the running game 7 or 8 yards per shot isn't bad. You're going to complete most of those passes so if you're averaging 7 or 8 yards per attempt on them than that puts the offense in good position and draws coverages up so other players can work down the field provided you have a line that can protect and a qb that can throw.

Ok so Austin last year average 8.8 yards per catch, I was going to use his numbers this year but he averaged 3.6 YARDS PER CATCH!! in 9 games started. So to at least make this somewhat comparable I'll use his last years #s.

Last year he averaged 8.8 so you say you will complete most of those passes right? When throwing to Austin QB's completed 54.7% of their passes.
When throwing to Landry who averaged 8.8 this year QB's completed 69.1% of their passes

When throwing to Austin QB's passer rating was 57.5
When throwing to Landry QB's passer rating was 93.3

When throwing to Austin he made a 1st down 23.6% of the time
When throwing to Landry he made a 1st down 38.7% of the time.

Tavon Austin 4.3 speed had 6 catches for 20+ yards with a long of 43
Jarvis Landry not 4.3 speed had 6 catches for 20+ yards with a long of 49.

There is no metric by which Tavon Austin is even in the same stratosphere as Jarvis Landry.

There is no metric by which Tavon Austin is even in the same stratosphere as Jarvis Landry.

I never said he was. But I did say if used properly he could be a weapon and that he would be a much cheaper slot option if you didn't want to pay Landry elite level money.

As for Austin's prior stats, a still say part of that is due to how he's been used and the poor play of the Rams qbs prior to 2017. I'm not saying he would set the world on fire, but if you have other receiver weapons and defenses are forced to guard Austin one on one you should be able to move the ball.

As for Austin's prior stats, a still say part of that is due to how he's been used and the poor play of the Rams qbs prior to 2017. I'm not saying he would set the world on fire, but if you have other receiver weapons and defenses are forced to guard Austin one on one you should be able to move the ball.

So the fact that in 2017 the Rams best year of QB play since Marc Bulger he averaged 3.6 yards per catch in 9 games started doesn't at all make you think maybe this guy sucks? I can assure you defenses aren't FORCED to cover him one on one, they happily do it. But I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

So the fact that in 2017 the Rams best year of QB play since Marc Bulger he averaged 3.6 yards per catch in 9 games started doesn't at all make you think maybe this guy sucks? I can assure you defenses aren't FORCED to cover him one on one, they happily do it. But I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

True we just disagree. And for the record 9 of the 13 receptions Austin had were on passes thrown behind the line of scrimmage and a couple of the other 4 were on passes less than 5 yards down the field. Again I'm not saying he's better than Landry, just that I would consider him for a limited role in the slot if Landry leaves. He wouldn't my first choice in the draft or free agency, but someone I think I would look at as a cheap option. I'm sure he'll be on an NFL roster next season.

I believe they just need to leave the contract for Suh alone. They made their bed....just get it over with instead of prolonging the agony. When will they learn?

As far as taking a QB at 11.....I'm not a fan of Mayfield at that spot. I'd rather take Allen but I heard a rumor that the Browns actually will take them at #1. Don't know if that's true or not

Williams would be ok as a #3 and I agree that we should bring in a big back to compliment Drake but whoever they bring has to be good at catching passes or else Gase won't want him

Ozzy rules!!
I concur re Ndamukong's contract. Restructuring is like purchasing a big item on credit. You can just pay smaller amounts but it ultimately has to be paid and it will be expensive. Tannenbaum got into trouble at the Jets by playing these sort of games. Baltimore and New Orleans also got into trouble and had to let good players go because they couldn't afford them after playing these games. Having said that you can bet that Tannenbaum is going to do it and Ndamukong Suh will smile all the way to the bank.

So drafting a player with your first round pick that doesn't contribute in his first year is a bad thing.......how come nobody has told the Dolphins that for the last 10 years? When was the last time we drafted a player in the first round that actually made a huge impact in his first year?

Ozzy rules!!
Long, Davis, Pouncey, Tannehill....all started in their rookie seasons. Depends on your definition of 'huge'.

Austin is a gimmick wr that the rams would love to get out of that awful contract on.

Hang up the phone if they call with that garbage

I do like the Paul Richardson thing but he’s razor thin and up til this year murdered by injury. I’d only consider that if dvp was to exit. And I’m really not trying to trade dvp
Personally, if we lose either DVP or Jackson, I have my eyes on Equanimeous St. Brown from Notre Dame. Kid is a strong route runner, is quick, and athletic, and may drop a bit due to down numbers this year because of crappy QB play at Notre Dame. If he is available in the late 2nd round, I would think long and hard about trading up to get him.

Long, Davis, Pouncey, Tannehill....all started in their rookie seasons. Depends on your definition of 'huge'.
Huge impact would be like making the pro bowl on their first year. Making other teams wish THEY had drafted the player instead of us. That's what huge impact is. A first round pick starting as a rookie on a bad team doesn't mean anything. We've had undrafted players starting too but did anyone made an impact
Just like there is a difference between making a tackle and making a play. There's a difference between starting and making an impact

Ozzy rules!!

Huge impact would be like making the pro bowl on their first year. Making other teams wish THEY had drafted the player instead of us. That's what huge impact is. A first round pick starting as a rookie on a bad team doesn't mean anything. We've had undrafted players starting too but did anyone made an impact
Just like there is a difference between making a tackle and making a play. There's a difference between starting and making an impact

Ozzy rules!!
Making a Pro Bowl in their Rookie year? You do know thats 31 other teams that expect the same from their 1st Round pick them going by that bench mark? That's over half the Pro Bowl roster then filled by #1 Rookies. You are in dream world.

Hitting on Jimmy G, completely changed there entire outlook on this off-season.
They had "hit" on kaep 3 or 4 years ago. What did that get them?

I am not so sure about the staying power of the 9ers going forward. I read Garoppalo as something of a one-hit wonder.

Back
Top Bottom