Jake Long... Don't worry | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jake Long... Don't worry

Pompy

Starter
Reaction score
Everybody can say that Joe Thomas was a good pick last year for Cleveland at number 3. Why is it that some people on here think Jake Long wouldn't be a good pick for us? Jake had a better Shuttle Run and Cone Drill and Bench Press (by 9 more) and tied in the 10 yard interval and .1 second off on 20 yard interval. Most Tackles don't have to run more than 10 yards and with the Shuttle Run and Cone Drill shows he's got just as good feet as Thomas. He's just as quick and more powerful than Thomas. He only let one sack and 3 penalties his entire college career.

Yes, exactly.

And Jake Long beat Joe Thomas for the best offensive lineman of the year award when Joe Thomas was a senior. And the vote was unanimous.

And both players played in the same conference against the same competition. So there was no schedule conflicts with who played who against lesser or better opponents. It was even strength competition, they both played against the exact same people and against the same teams.

Last year Joe Thomas had plenty of naysayers and detractors. PLENTY! And we see it was much to do about nothing. It was total hogwash.

I think he allowed 2 sacks and 2 penalties but i could be wrong. I am with you though.. Jake Long is a beast and it would make the most sense to draft him #1. We need help on the O-line to protect Beck and open up holes for the running game. Jake Long could pave the way for our RB's possibly giving us a dominating backfield.

His first sack allowed was during his freshman year.. so are we really going to be a stickler about that? I think it's just nitpicking.

Over the past two seasons Jake Long only allowed one sack. And he dominated plenty of first round picks including Anthony Spencer, Derrick Harvey and Adam Carriker to just name a few.

And J Long dominated more who are already in the NFL, as well as dominated people who will be drafted in the 2nd round such as Avril for instance. J Long made Avril look absolutely silly along with the others.

ur absolutely right, never thought of that.

i think people are basing his "doesnt have quick feet" thing, against Gholston...when Gholston bull rushed him. like to say LTs dont EVER get bullrushed? every great LT has their down times...

i personally think Jake will make a great OT in the NFL, whether it be left OR right. i dont think theres any question that he is the pick at #1

Let's not forget that quite a few ends and OLB's Jake Long went up against were fast.. So I don't know where the "Jake Long can't handle the speed rush" argument came from.

Last year, Jake Long totally took Cliff Avril out of the game.. And Avril runs a 4.5 forty. Jake Long dominated Avril in the passing game as well as in the running game. He just destroyed him... And again, Avril is a burner, he can run a 4.5 40, which is elite NFL speed for that position. Avril is projected to go in the 2nd round this year.

Just like Jake Long took Florida's Derrick Harvey out of the game easily in the bowl game.. Harvey, a guy projected to be a first rounder, has stated to the media that he has never been manhandled by an O-lineman like Jake Long dominated him in both the pass and run.. Not ever. Harvey said that himself.

Let's not forget that quite a few ends and OLB's Jake Long went up against were fast.. So I don't know where the "Jake Long can't handle the speed rush" argument came from.

Last year, Jake Long totally took Cliff Avril out of the game.. And Avril runs a 4.5 forty. Jake Long dominated Avril in the passing game as well as the running game. He just destroyed him... And again, Avril is a burner, he can run a 4.5 40, which is elite NFL speed for that position. Avril is projected to go in the 2nd round this year.

Just like Jake Long took out Florida's Derrick Harvey out of the game easily in the bowl game.. Harvey, a guy projected to be a first rounder, has stated to the media that he has never been manhandled by an O-lineman like Jake Long dominated him in both the pass and run.. Not ever. Harvey said that himself.

I hope we draft him. He will make such a difference for our O-line. I dont even care if he can't play left tackle. I wouldn't be suprised if he plays right tackle his first couple years in the league and then moves to left.

Jake Long also got put on his *** by Derrick Harvey at the very beginning of the UF/UM game.. but he then went on to dominate Harvey.

Long has every tool you look for in a LT, and he can do it all.. Not getting him would be a serious mistake if he continues to improve his game to the NFL level

every analyst I have heard has said that Thomas has much better feet and balance than Long, there is no combine drill to measure that

Pat Kirwan said that Long hit the ground quite a bit while Thomas was never on the ground

I prefer to believe the experts and not those fans with agendas. I wish there were more Dolphin agenda fans here. all I see is Ryan-agenda, CLong-agenda, JLong-agenda and Gholston-agenda fans.

I am glad that our FO shares the same agenda as I have.

we may end up taking Jake Long, but don't expect him to be a franchise LT

i dont think jake long is the pick. he just isnt an elite LT more like a very good one. RT is where he could probably reach pro bowl status but not on the left side where he will be a decent starter but no better than vernon carey who did very well on left side for us last year. you just dont spend the number one pick on a RT. he isnt as nimble as some of the other higher rated OTs as years past and you can quote numbers from the combine all you want, but looking at the game film, he just doesnt have elite LT skills. his skill set is better served on the right side to mask his average feet and quickness.

I would love to hear where Kirwan said Jake Long was on the ground alot... Not what I have read with many reports and many interviews and opinions. You must of confused someone else with Jake Long and as far as agenda's goes..... I am not his agent or making any money from it. I just want my Dolphins to be great like they was back in the early 70's. How can someone say he won't be a franchise LT. Sounds like he's got an agenda.....lol And here's another person who says he seen alot of tape. Wow... I call another B.S. here.... I bet he saw the one time Gholston pushed him back when Jake seemed to lose his balance. Some real jokers on this site....

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont think jake long is the pick. he just isnt an elite LT more like a very good one. RT is where he could probably reach pro bowl status but not on the left side where he will be a decent starter but no better than vernon carey who did very well on left side for us last year. you just dont spend the number one pick on a RT. he isnt as nimble as some of the other higher rated OTs as years past and you can quote numbers from the combine all you want, but looking at the game film, he just doesnt have elite LT skills. his skill set is better served on the right side to mask his average feet and quickness.

I am curious as to who you would like the fins to draft #1?

Personally I am ok with either of the Longs but I have recently decided that I want Jake more than Chris. A lot of people say that you cannot select a RT with the #1 pick. I dont understand why. The Inside linebacker is typically the voice of the defense not an outside linebacker but people are ok with taking an outside linebacker #1. With Jason Taylor currently on the roster we would be better off taking jake long and grabbing an outside linebacker later in the draft or even next season when we have a better idea of what we will be doing with JT and Joey Porter.

I am curious as to who you would like the fins to draft #1?

Personally I am ok with either of the Longs but I have recently decided that I want Jake more than Chris. A lot of people say that you cannot select a RT with the #1 pick. I dont understand why. The Inside linebacker is typically the voice of the defense not an outside linebacker but people are ok with taking an outside linebacker #1. With Jason Taylor currently on the roster we would be better off taking jake long and grabbing an outside linebacker later in the draft or even next season when we have a better idea of what we will be doing with JT and Joey Porter.

well I want Chris Long because neither joey porter or jason taylor are long for miami. JT is getting up there in age and porter has to big of a mouth. Parcells and Ireland have always put a premium on pass rushers and thats what chris long is. He would be the face of our franchise and our defense.

As for not drafting a RT overall, they are alot easier to get as opposed to LTs. Just not as big of a premium for them as LTs. The highest RT i cant think of drafted recently was Jordan Gross but he was still tried at LT where he was ok but much better on right side. If you look at the rest of the top OT picks, they were LTs.

well I want Chris Long because neither joey porter or jason taylor are long for miami. JT is getting up there in age and porter has to big of a mouth. Parcells and Ireland have always put a premium on pass rushers and thats what chris long is. He would be the face of our franchise and our defense.

As for not drafting a RT overall, they are alot easier to get as opposed to LTs. Just not as big of a premium for them as LTs. The highest RT i cant think of drafted recently was Jordan Gross but he was still tried at LT where he was ok but much better on right side. If you look at the rest of the top OT picks, they were LTs.

Good thing J. Long is a LT.....

Your right, JT and JP won't be here forever. So in a few years we will need a OLB. Just so happens that we need a LT now.

Good thing J. Long is a LT.....

Your right, JT and JP won't be here forever. So in a few years we will need a OLB. Just so happens that we need a LT now.

and whats vernon carey? last i checked he only had given up 3.5 sacks on the year and had a 5.1 avg for running plays. i guess jake long is automatically better than:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom