Jake Long... Don't worry | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jake Long... Don't worry

never said he would be close to long. doesnt have to be. he just needs to able to play RT well enough, which he does. he may not be the pro bowl RT long will be but he will do just fine.

I'll admit, J.Long is pretty amazing, but it'll be hard for him to make the probowl at RT when he'll be playing LT. :err:

I just have a gut feeling that Jake Long will be just an ordinary guy in the NFL at left tackle. I hope I am wrong though ...especially if we select him!!!

well I want Chris Long because neither joey porter or jason taylor are long for miami. JT is getting up there in age and porter has to big of a mouth. Parcells and Ireland have always put a premium on pass rushers and thats what chris long is. He would be the face of our franchise and our defense.

As for not drafting a RT overall, they are alot easier to get as opposed to LTs. Just not as big of a premium for them as LTs. The highest RT i cant think of drafted recently was Jordan Gross but he was still tried at LT where he was ok but much better on right side. If you look at the rest of the top OT picks, they were LTs.

I agree that Parcells is infatuated with pass rushers. However we are stuck with Porter for at least another year probably 2 because of the cap hit we would take for cutting or trading him. JT might be with us til he retires (unless he is traded) in a couple years so there is no sense in taking an outside linebacker now. I would not be upset if we took chris long but I personally think that Jake is the better pick. Both positions are deep so either way we go I will be happy.

I agree that Parcells is infatuated with pass rushers. However we are stuck with Porter for at least another year probably 2 because of the cap hit we would take for cutting or trading him. JT might be with us til he retires (unless he is traded) in a couple years so there is no sense in taking an outside linebacker now. I would not be upset if we took chris long but I personally think that Jake is the better pick. Both positions are deep so either way we go I will be happy.

That looks like a great draft by the way.

What I don't get with people is by selecting J.Long and going BPA aswell the rest of the way allows a draft like yours to happen. Even if we subbed in a OLB somewhere (only because that's what most are crying for) this kid could learn from two of the best OLB's that there is, he'll have a huge advantage when he takes over the position. This makes us so much better long term and we'll see the playoffs before you know it.

Your basing your draft on hoping players will be there and when their not you will either have to reach for another player while passing up on BPA or you'll go BPA and we never get Oline help.
Your way is on a hope and a prayer, I know we can draft J.Long and I know we can draft BPA the rest of the way aswell.
I HOPE if we go C.Long it works out but I like to control my own destiny not be dictated by others.

but your running under the assumption that jake long is going to be a good LT. based off what? to control our own destiny then would be to leave carey, a proven commodity on the left side. we know he can play there and play well.

your talking about my way being hope and prayer. thats what the draft is unless you move up to take the player you want. you hope and pray the guy you want is there. yes you could take jake long, but he has alot of questions about his ability to be an elite LT. most experts seem to voice the same opinion.

with all the money we have, we can just get rid of porter and take it all this year under the cap and still have plenty of room. we could keep JT, but his skills are diminishing and we need to groom a replacement and a new face for this defense. Long is it.

here is another angle to look at......look at parcells and irelands draft history. when parcells had the number one pick with the jets back in 1997 i believe, he traded back with the rams and when he had a chance to draft walter jones he traded back again to take who? james farrior, LB. both ireland and parcells prefer to draft on the defensive side of the ball, preferably pass rushers. the year demarcus ware came out, initially parcells wanted marcus spears there until ireland talked him out of it to take ware because they believed spears could be had at their 2nd 1st round pick.

my point is that parcells and ireland place a higher premium on certain positions and OLB being one of them. alot higher than OT.

with all the money we have, we can just get rid of porter and take it all this year under the cap and still have plenty of room. we could keep JT, but his skills are diminishing and we need to groom a replacement and a new face for this defense. Long is it.

here is another angle to look at......look at parcells and irelands draft history. when parcells had the number one pick with the jets back in 1997 i believe, he traded back with the rams and when he had a chance to draft walter jones he traded back again to take who? james farrior, LB. both ireland and parcells prefer to draft on the defensive side of the ball, preferably pass rushers. the year demarcus ware came out, initially parcells wanted marcus spears there until ireland talked him out of it to take ware because they believed spears could be had at their 2nd 1st round pick.

my point is that parcells and ireland place a higher premium on certain positions and OLB being one of them. alot higher than OT.

He also stayed at #1 and drafted Bledsoe with the Pats. Does that mean we are going to draft Matt Ryan? :shakeno:

but your running under the assumption that jake long is going to be a good LT. based off what? to control our own destiny then would be to leave carey, a proven commodity on the left side. we know he can play there and play well.

your talking about my way being hope and prayer. thats what the draft is unless you move up to take the player you want. you hope and pray the guy you want is there. yes you could take jake long, but he has alot of questions about his ability to be an elite LT. most experts seem to voice the same opinion.

Based on the same thing you believe C.Long will be, but with a better resume of a college career, better combine, and played against better competion.

Mayock is practically the only one so he can justify his M.Ryan is the number one pick BS.

You are absolutely correct and I have noticed the FO lovefest for OLB/speed rushers. Do you think Tony Sparano has any say in what we do in the draft? If he does I think he would love to have an OT with the size and ability of Jake. This FO also likes to pound the football on offense and adding a great run blocker would really help us do that. Henning is a run first offensive coordinator as well.

What did he think of his Oline, was he satisfied then to build everything else up. I realize we can learn alot by looking at the past but it does not mean anything because different teams with different players changes the way things get done. Did the NYJ have two probowlers at OLB, I highly doubt that. If we didn't I would be fine with C.Long but we do.
Your idea of getting rid of JP has a huge cap hit against us if we do, dead cap money doesn't get us better it makes the hill turn into a mountain.

Based on the same thing you believe C.Long will be, but with a better resume of a college career, better combine, and played against better competion.

Mayock is practically the only one so he can justify his M.Ryan is the number one pick BS.

mayock really? well lindys says the same thing. espn. sporting news. pro football weekly. just to name a few.

well the thing with chris long is you dont see to many negatives to the guys game. here is a quote from gil brandt, a very respective draft analyst.

"I don't know of a player in this draft who has no negatives," says Gil Brandt, draft analyst for NFL.com and former vice president of player personnel for the Dallas Cowboys. "Except Chris Long."

I dont see people saying that about jake long.

I don't think Jake Long will be the pick. Not because I want Chris Long, nor is it because I think Jake will be a better RT than LT. The reason being is that Bill Parcells Draft History of taking offensive lineman in the first round is pretty slim. He has only drafted an offensive lineman three times in the first round of a Draft during his career in the NFL. All of those selections happened with the New York Giants.

Bill Parcells has a philosphy, and too his credit it's been a pretty successful one. Bill likes to take offensive lineman in the second round and below. He takes those guys, puts them in his system, coaches them up, and they turn out to be solid football players. If the Dolphins pass on Jake Long, it's not because they don't like him. It's because Bill Parcells has a particular philosphy on offensive lineman, and he probably won't budge on that philosphy.

You are absolutely correct and I have noticed the FO lovefest for OLB/speed rushers. Do you think Tony Sparano has any say in what we do in the draft? If he does I think he would love to have an OT with the size and ability of Jake. This FO also likes to pound the football on offense and adding a great run blocker would really help us do that. Henning is a run first offensive coordinator as well.

Sparano I think has some say but it does not hold as much weight. Sparano though is also from the school of coaching up talent. He did it with marc colombo, alot of people thought he was done after breaking his leg and ended up being a very good RT for the cowboys. Its the reason why jake long will not be the pick in my opinion. If cherilus is there, i think he is the pick at 32 otherwise we could be looking at guys like anthony collins, duane brown, and later on guys like geoff schwartz, thaddeus coleman, michael butterworth and brandon keith. look for some big guards too like james blair, shawn murphy, and chris mcduffie.

Sparano I think has some say but it does not hold as much weight. Sparano though is also from the school of coaching up talent. He did it with marc colombo, alot of people thought he was done after breaking his leg and ended up being a very good RT for the cowboys. Its the reason why jake long will not be the pick in my opinion. If cherilus is there, i think he is the pick at 32 otherwise we could be looking at guys like anthony collins, duane brown, and later on guys like geoff schwartz, thaddeus coleman, michael butterworth and brandon keith. look for some big guards too like james blair, shawn murphy, and chris mcduffie.

My problem with taking Chris first is that we need to hope cherilus is there or grab collins at 57 like you said. If we take Jake first then we can go in a number of different directions with the 32nd pick. We do not have to take an OLB this year but we have to take at least 2 O-lineman in the first 4 rounds.

Back
Top Bottom