Jake Long not interested in giving Fins a discount.. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jake Long not interested in giving Fins a discount..

Will you drop this whole, "lose 20 years off your life thing." All you can do is live the healthiest life you can if you want to live long. A long, free of complication life is no guarantee, no matter what sport you play, what job you have, what healthy foods you eat. What is guaranteed is money. I would take money over some unlikely chance i die of a heart attack 20 yrs before im "supposed" to die.

I am going to say that this may have flew over your head...

Both sides are just posturing. Jake will listen to offers and Fireland will consider his options. The deal will be reached sometime in May. He will get 8 million with incentives that will pay him 12 million...IMHO.
Both sides will declare victory. The truth is we need jake long.
I would prefer that Jake speak for himslf though. Getting the reports from his wife is not boosting his image as a tough guy.

Can't blame him. NFL is a business.

Dude only has a few years left to make money off of football. In addition now with all the concusion talks and shorter life spans players are basically putting a price tag on his health.

Who on this board would take say $20 mill knowing they will only live to be say....65?

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

Correction average NFL player life expectancy is 55 years.

Average male life expectacy in the United States today is 75 years.

Who here would take $20 million dollars to lose 20 years of life.
I would.

Your argument proves my point. NFL players are pre despositioned to all of these complications because of the line of work.

Sorry to say but you are not playing in the NFL at certain positions unless you are a certain height and a certain weight. Most of which is UN-NATURAL to the human body. These men spend countless hours in the weight room pounding down every "natural" subtance known to man to get bigger, faster, and stronger. Some players are even fined if they do not meet certain weight requirements both over and under. That takes a massive toll on not only your cardiovascular system but your joins and muscles. And we wonder why so many former pro athletes live off of buckets of pain killers and become addicted to drugs and alcohol.

Don't get me wrong, this is the life they choose and yes there is plenty of pro athletes and NFL players that live a normal confortable life after retirement to a ripe old age. But STATISTICALLY they don't.

We could go further into the research and see the number of retired NFL players now have complications with joints, and concussions, and dementia etc.

NFL is a business plain and simple. So when a player doesn't take a hometown discount, its understandable.

Personally, I wouldn't take $20 mill and sacrafice 20 years of my life, and I'm only 26.

I would.

I'm 45.

I've been willing to give my life in the service of my country for an idea, and 100K to my wife in the
event of that.......So, 20 mil for a 20 year reduction? To play football? For a living?
That sounds alright to me. It greatly enhances my
quality of life for what I have left, and I can die easy, knowing my children and wife will be financially
secure for the rest of THEIR lives, which is vastly more important to me than my own.

I would give him a contract if his health was no longer a question. Thats never going to be the case. So, good luck Jake.

At this point in his career Jake is more of a liability with edge rushers speed rushers. Jake has been a shell of his former self. Now maybe this was because Long was playing injured. I would evaluate him now and see where he is at.

That dude can go **** himself. I've met him in real life and he is a tremendous doushebag, as is his wife. He looks like an uneducated nitwit who was blessed with some football talent. Let him steal someone elses money.

I would.

I'm 45.

I've been willing to give my life in the service of my country for an idea, and 100K to my wife in the
event of that.......So, 20 mil for a 20 year reduction? To play football? For a living?
That sounds alright to me. It greatly enhances my
quality of life for what I have left, and I can die easy, knowing my children and wife will be financially
secure for the rest of THEIR lives, which is vastly more important to me than my own.
Well said!

With Long and Smith both begging for a ton of money, Miami will at least get a nice compensatory pick or two.

Of course he isn't interested in a hometown discount. This is his last chance at a big multiyear payday before he ends up in another operating room.

Things happen for a reason. So long Long.

With Long and Smith both begging for a ton of money, Miami will at least get a nice compensatory pick or two.

not really because if we sign a big name wr and another high priced guy they will probabbly cancel out, we have alot of cap so we wont get much compensation

Back
Top Bottom