Jake Long vs. Matt Ryan | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jake Long vs. Matt Ryan

Long keep the QB safe - remember Chad did have a GREAT year last year, no injuries etc, and that can be directly linked to Longs presence on the line.

If we had taken Ryan, I think.....in fact I am sure, he would have lasted maybe 5 or 6 games & possibly been out injured. No disrespect to Ryan, he is obviously something special, but Long was who & what we needed, and the results are division champs, best turn around in league history. Thats a nice start for two new comers to the organisation.

Choice...Chad & Jake or Matt & ???

Easy. Chad & Jake.

Atlanta chose Ryan over a LT and he lasted all season so that theory is flawed and a real unknown.

if we would have drafted ryan he would have been on the ground most of the time, not saying that the falcons have a better o line, but they have been playing together longer than ours, oh and lets not forget the signed michael turner, and have roddy white, who both had pro bowl years.

the way our team was in shambles we needed to start from the o line, and then put a qb

if we would have drafted ryan he would have been on the ground most of the time, not saying that the falcons have a better o line, but they have been playing together longer than ours, oh and lets not forget the signed michael turner, and have roddy white, who both had pro bowl years.

the way our team was in shambles we needed to start from the o line, and then put a qb

Atlanta was just as horrid the year before as us. In fact most on here predicted Ryan would have a horrible year and Atlanta was going to be awful.
People on this board were laughing about how stupid Atlanta was for taking Ryan so high and now all of a sudden he had this great team around him.

We only took Ryan because you took Long.Almost took Dorsey over him.Funny the way things work out sometimes.

LMAO...you guys are funny...

If you're going to take a left tackle #1 overall in the draft over the franchise quarterback....then the left tackle you select should AT LEAST be the best left tackle in the draft...Jake Long wasn't even that IMO....and thusfar...still hasn't proven to be...

I had Matt Ryan as the best QB in the draft 7 months before the draft even occured...when all the talking heads were slurping Brian Brohm and Colt Brennan...

There's a difference between a system quarterback and an NFL quarterback when projecting their skills to the next level....it's actually quite easy to tell the difference if you know what you're looking at...

You don't draft a quarterback that early with the expectation of making the playoffs that season....especially when you're coming off a 1-15 season....so a 1st round exit from the playoffs with Pennington doesn't justify anything...

You draft a franchise quarterback that early because you believe he's the guy that can lead you for the next decade....and you build around him...

I've never clamored for the Dolphins to take a quarterback like I did for them to select Matt Ryan....I tried (fruitlessly) so hard to get the point across that it would be a big mistake to pass up on THIS quarterback....

...not because he was a quarterback and Miami needed one.....but because he was the quarterback Miami had been waiting for....and he was right there...for the taking....they worked him out...they went to his pro day....

Essentially, all they had to do was turn the card in with his name on it...

They didn't....

Now, you all get to witness first hand what Miami could've had under center come Sept. 13th.....

That's by far the best quote of the year, lol !!!!! Apparently you have the secret to drafting a QB that no FO in the NFL has. Your gonna be a rich man, to think BP doesn't know what he's looking at, awesome line.

Yea, its not like Ryan had a rb, who had an amazing year or a top 10 wr... oh wait a minute. Lol@ Ryan lovers.

Atlanta was just as horrid the year before as us. In fact most on here predicted Ryan would have a horrible year and Atlanta was going to be awful.
People on this board were laughing about how stupid Atlanta was for taking Ryan so high and now all of a sudden he had this great team around him.

That's revisionist history. Factually, they won 4 games to our 1. What confuses you about that statistic? Even with the QB and HC distractions, they won the same number of games the Jets did, and they didn't have the benefit of playing us twice. Did you predict the Jets would be as "horrid" in 08?

They already had a 1000 yd receiver being thrown to by the likes of Redman. Leftwich and Harrington. They signed a RB who averaged 6.3 yds the previous season.. Statistically they were 400% better on the eve of he 08 season, but in reality, they had even more going for them than that compared to the Fins. When you have a receiver who caught 40% of your pass yardage and a RB responsible for gaining 70% of all your team's rushing yardage, you as a QB, even if you only average 1 TD pass a game (16 total), are very likely to end up basking in the glory of your 2 stud players.

Arthur Blank needed a new face of the Falcons, desperately and quickly. The selection of Ryan as the #3 pick had more to do with PR than it did with functionality IMO. It was a gamble that obviously worked out very well in all regards, but a gamble nonetheless taking a highly rated college QB who few considered a lock as a "franchise" one. But that's a parable of life: bigger risks yield bigger rewards (or losses).

That's revisionist history. Factually, they won 4 games to our 1. What confuses you about that statistic? Even with the QB and HC distractions, they won the same number of games the Jets did, and they didn't have the benefit of playing us twice. Did you predict the Jets would be as "horrid" in 08?

They already had a 1000 yd receiver being thrown to by the likes of Redman. Leftwich and Harrington. They signed a RB who averaged 6.3 yds the previous season.. Statistically they were 400% better on the eve of he 08 season, but in reality, they had even more going for them than that compared to the Fins. When you have a receiver who caught 40% of your pass yardage and a RB responsible for gaining 70% of all your team's rushing yardage, you as a QB, even if you only average 1 TD pass a game (16 total), are very likely to end up basking in the glory of your 2 stud players.

Arthur Blank needed a new face of the Falcons, desperately and quickly. The selection of Ryan as the #3 pick had more to do with PR than it did with functionality IMO. It was a gamble that obviously worked out very well in all regards, but a gamble nonetheless taking a highly rated college QB who few considered a lock as a "franchise" one. But that's a parable of life: bigger risks yield bigger rewards (or losses).

Turner was a backup runningback so noone knew he would be that good and White had put up one good season out of 3. Nobody considered either White or Turner a stud coming into the season. You do realize that Jerico Cothery put up similar numbers in 2007 to White. Im sure nobody would say that a qb with Jercio Cothery came in with a certain stud wr or with Darren Sproles as his new rb. Bobby Engram put up better numbers than White the previous year and like I said noone would say well he had a stud wr in place if he had him. Matt Ryan was every bit as responsinble for Atlanta's success as anybody else on the offense.

Dminitoff thier gm has pretty good credentials as a talent evaluator I doubt they wasted a high draft pick just for publicity. Oh I forgot no other team in the league has a clue what they are doing except our team. Im pretty sure he did the same homework our people did and it paid off for them. We continually can never give credit to any other teams and players.
\\

Turner was a backup runningback so noone knew he would be that good and White had put up one good season out of 3. Nobody considered either White or Turner a stud coming into the season. You do realize that Jerico Cothery put up similar numbers in 2007 to White. Im sure nobody would say that a qb with Jercio Cothery came in with a certain stud wr or with Darren Sproles as his new rb. Bobby Engram put up better numbers than White the previous year and like I said noone would say well he had a stud wr in place if he had him. Matt Ryan was every bit as responsinble for Atlanta's success as anybody else on the offense.

Dminitoff thier gm has pretty good credentials as a talent evaluator I doubt they wasted a high draft pick just for publicity. Oh I forgot no other team in the league has a clue what they are doing except our team. Im pretty sure he did the same homework our people did and it paid off for them. We continually can never give credit to any other teams and players.
\\

Turner was a "back up" to LT averaging over 6 yds/carry in 07 and 5yds/carry in 06. Sorry, but you don't throw $35mil with $15mil guaranteed for a run of the mill "backup" RB. (Dimitroff did his homework on Ryan but not Turner, LOL) No matter how you spin it. Roddy White was a flat-out stud. Your stats are misleading: he played in 5 games in 06 with 500 yds of receptions, and in his 1st year he played in 8 games and had 450 yds of receptions. He's never averaged less than 14.5 yds/catch. He's been a stud from the get-go. Sorry, you can spin Ryan's glories anyway you want but he gets more credit than deserved considering the tools he had to work with. For both him and the Falcons, it turned out to be the "Perfect Storm." They were both lucky to some extent.

Turner was a "back up" to LT averaging over 6 yds/carry in 07 and 5yds/carry in 06. Sorry, but you don't throw $35mil with $15mil guaranteed for a run of the mill "backup" RB. (Dimitroff did his homework on Ryan but not Turner, LOL) No matter how you spin it. Roddy White was a flat-out stud. Your stats are misleading: he played in 5 games in 06 with 500 yds of receptions, and in his 1st year he played in 8 games and had 450 yds of receptions. He's never averaged less than 14.5 yds/catch. He's been a stud from the get-go. Sorry, you can spin Ryan's glories anyway you want but he gets more credit than deserved considering the tools he had to work with. For both him and the Falcons, it turned out to be the "Perfect Storm." They were both lucky to some extent.

I never said Turner was a run of the mill back but nobody knew he was a stud. In fact many people thought they overpaid. Sproles as the main backup averaged 5.5 a carry so its not unheard of for a backup to not do the same elsewhere. Nobody was calling White as stud based on the one season. Ryan was a rookie qb with a very suspect line and very average receivers overall based on what they as whole had done to that point. I guess Stafford will have a similar year since he has a receiver even better than White in Calvin johnson and has a good back in Kevin Smith. I mean thats all it takles is a very good receiver and a good back. Leinhart had stud receivers and somehow has never done as well. I guess your right any average rookie would have came in and done just as well I mean it happens all the time lol.

Luck has just as much to do with Ryan;s success as Long's. With draft picks there is always luck involved.

I never said Turner was a run of the mill back but nobody knew he was a stud. In fact many people thought they overpaid. Sproles as the main backup averaged 5.5 a carry so its not unheard of for a backup to not do the same elsewhere. Nobody was calling White as stud based on the one season. Ryan was a rookie qb with a very suspect line and very average receivers overall based on what they as whole had done to that point. I guess Stafford will have a similar year since he has a receiver even better than White in Calvin johnson and has a good back in Kevin Smith. I mean thats all it takles is a very good receiver and a good back. Leinhart had stud receivers and somehow has never done as well. I guess your right any average rookie would have came in and done just as well I mean it happens all the time lol.

Luck has just as much to do with Ryan;s success as Long's. With draft picks there is always luck involved.

I'm not saying that Ryan didn't contribute to the success of his team; only that when you have offensive weapons like he was blessed with, he's not the messiah some would make him out to be.

Actually I'm more impressed with Joe Flacco. He took a team that won only 1 more game than Atlanta 3 deep into the playoffs. No other rookie QB has done that. You can say that he benefited from one of the most formidable defenses in the league and you'd be correct sir; however this is the same defense that lead their team to a 5-11 record the prior year. Not much had changed.

Flacco, drafted at 18 was expected to be a project and was only pressed into duty in the 11th hour when Smith went down. He was intended to be their 3rd option overall and got the limited TC and exhibition game snaps accordingly. You can bracket his 08 stats against Ryan's to make them look unfavorable, sure. But when you've got a guy from a little league conference with little practice time, it would be naive to think he's gonna be lights-out right out of the gate.

A better test is comparing Flacco with Ryan once they've both hit stride. I think a lot of folks would be surprised if they knew that using the last 5 games of the season as a benchmark, Ryan's QB Rating was 84.4 vs. Flacco's 83.9; Ryan threw for 1022yds with 5 ints vs Flacco's 975 yds with 4 interceptions.

So if you want to coronate Ryan as the savior and Dimitroff as a savant by taking a top 10 rated QB 3rd, then what does that make Ozzie Newsome taking a "project QB" 18th who offensively at the least performed at the same level as Ryan and actually won 2 playoff games?

Do you think Flacco gets overlooked despite comparable last 5 game stats because he doesn't have the cute nickname?? Or because the league desperately needs to pump up the large disgruntled part of the Atlanta fanbase?

Sorry, but based on current evidence, Flacco at 18 is a smarter better deal than the Messiah at 3!

I'm not saying that Ryan didn't contribute to the success of his team; only that when you have offensive weapons like he was blessed with, he's not the messiah some would make him out to be.

Actually I'm more impressed with Joe Flacco. He took a team that won only 1 more game than Atlanta 3 deep into the playoffs. No other rookie QB has done that. You can say that he benefited from one of the most formidable defenses in the league and you'd be correct sir; however this is the same defense that lead their team to a 5-11 record the prior year. Not much had changed.

Flacco, drafted at 18 was expected to be a project and was only pressed into duty in the 11th hour when Smith went down. He was intended to be their 3rd option overall and got the limited TC and exhibition game snaps accordingly. You can bracket his 08 stats against Ryan's to make them look unfavorable, sure. But when you've got a guy from a little league conference with little practice time, it would be naive to think he's gonna be lights-out right out of the gate.

A better test is comparing Flacco with Ryan once they've both hit stride. I think a lot of folks would be surprised if they knew that using the last 5 games of the season as a benchmark, Ryan's QB Rating was 84.4 vs. Flacco's 83.9; Ryan threw for 1022yds with 5 ints vs Flacco's 975 yds with 4 interceptions.

So if you want to coronate Ryan as the savior and Dimitroff as a savant by taking a top 10 rated QB 3rd, then what does that make Ozzie Newsome taking a "project QB" 18th who offensively at the least performed at the same level as Ryan and actually won 2 playoff games?

Do you think Flacco gets overlooked despite comparable last 5 game stats because he doesn't have the cute nickname?? Or because the league desperately needs to pump up the large disgruntled part of the Atlanta fanbase?

Sorry, but based on current evidence, Flacco at 18 is a smarter better deal than the Messiah at 3!

You cant just look at the games u feel is thier stride. Overall Ryan was better and made less mistakes less interceptions and 5 less fumbles. Flacco did damn good for a rookie but Ryan did better and put up one of the better rookie seasons ever by a qb. If you just look at a certain 5 games schedule could come into play or many other things.

If you feel Flacco is a better qb than your assertation may be correct. I dont see Flacco as good as Ryan. Also according to your standards he took over a team with a stud RB and a stud wr and did not do as much.
McGahee had 1200 yards the previous year and Mason had 103 receptions. So I also guess according to your standards that Denver made a smarter pick in round 1 by taking their T.

Ryan overall had a better year and thats why he got the props. Nobody would argue except maybe you that Flacco had a better year at qb. 14 tds 12 int 11 fumbles is not better than 17 tds 11 int and 6 fumbles.

You cant just look at the games u feel is thier stride. Overall Ryan was better and made less mistakes less interceptions and 5 less fumbles. Flacco did damn good for a rookie but Ryan did better and put up one of the better rookie seasons ever by a qb. If you just look at a certain 5 games schedule could come into play or many other things.

If you feel Flacco is a better qb than your assertation may be correct. I dont see Flacco as good as Ryan. Also according to your standards he took over a team with a stud RB and a stud wr and did not do as much.
McGahee had 1200 yards the previous year and Mason had 103 receptions. So I also guess according to your standards that Denver made a smarter pick in round 1 by taking their T.

I don't look at "a certain 5 game" I look at the LAST 5 games when the playing field's evened out and Flacco's finally got his sea legs. I'm merely saying that considering the college programs each came from, where they were drafted, their team's prior year performances,which one started taking snaps earlier in the preseason... and how far each drove their team, to say Flacco's done less is pure Matty Ice idolatry!

Bottom line: all these "knowing what we know now, we should have taken Ryan" threads are just mental masturbation. Based on last 5 regular season and several playoff game performance, if we knew then what we know know.. what we should have done was taken Jake at 1 and then packaged a few picks including Merling and Henne to trade up to 17 to grab Flacco. That would have been the ticket!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't look at "a certain 5 game" I look at the LAST 5 games when the playing field's evened out and Flacco's finally got his sea legs. I'm merely saying that considering the college programs each came from, where they were drafted, their team's prior year performances,which one started taking snaps earlier in the preseason... and how far each drove their team, to say Flacco's done less is pure Matty Ice idolatry!

You call it idoltry because it suits your arguement. Does not make it so.

As I said 16 tds 11 int 6 fumbles 87 rating quarterback a

14 tds 12 int 11 fumbles 80.3 rating quarterback b

Please tell me that quarterback b did a better job.

Also yes the Ravens went further but Flacco was pretty bad in the playoffs. He completed 44 percent of his passes with 1 td and 3 int with a qb rating of 50. I think if you look at what the Raven did in the playoff it had much more to do with thier defense then his subpar play in the playoffs. Im sure he had his sealegs by then. The Ravens wins had much more to do with the other team turning the ball over. Titans fumbled 5 times and lost 2 along with an interception and Miami's 4 interceptions and 2 fumbles 1 lost. So unless you think that Flacco had a better season than Pennington since he did take his team further Im sure you cannot use this to help your Flacco arguement. Ryan was much better against superbowl runnerup Arizona in thier game then Flacco was against superbowl champ Pitt.

Back
Top Bottom