Jake wont make us awesome... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jake wont make us awesome...

The reality is that we should draft Jake Long if he is a franchise caliber left tackle. Its a no brainer if that is what he is. That said, is he a franchise caliber left tackle?

I see issues with leverage and strength. I see issues with lateral movement. Please understand, I want Jake Long to be everything many of those on this board portray him to be. We need a left tackle more than any position on this team. No doubt about it. But when I pop in the tape and try to convince myself, which I have done numerous times, I keep seeing a skill set that may be an issue at the next level if he is asked to manned the left side.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....The best left tackles in this draft are Branden Albert, Jeff Otah, and Ryan Clady. Those are the guys, especially Albert and Otah, who could really have a Thomas type impact for the Dolphins. I look at Jake Long and I fear that he will just be another name four or five years from now. I don't feel the same way when I look at Branden Alberts skills set.

So Jake Long is no longer a top 3 prospect in this draft?

I understand you may think, and may say that Long could be better sited for RT. He may be, none of us will know till he plays in the Pros.

But these same people, scouts and some GM'S can't all agree on who is better between GHolston or Chris Long.

If that's the case, wouldn't it make Chris Long or Gholston a gamble as well?

So there is no way you can say that Chris Long is the BPA.

If Parcells and Ireland take Chris Long I will be happy. I would prefer Gholston or Jake, however, unlike some people *cough cough* I am not gonna claim that 1 of the top 4 prospects all of a sudden would be drafted for need as opposed to BPA.

I mean, I guess, appearantly, there is a huge drop off in talent betweem the #1/#2/ and #3 prospect that would make it drafting for need as opposed to drafting for BPA.

I never said Jake Long wasnt a top 3 prospect. His problem is that the position he ultimately ends up at, isnt worth top 3 money to me.

Dude Jake Long is the only pick that actually is going to help right away. We have a cavernous hole at tackle!!!!! Long fills it.

With a decent Oline that will feature 2 first round picks at tackle and a 2nd rounder at center you have the best line we have had here since the early seventies. Justin Smiley at right guard is a huge upgrade from Rex HadNOT.

Our coach is an ex-oline coach and our offensive scheme is going to be smash mouth football. Run it up the gut Jimmy Johnson style. We have Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams and we are going to get a huge blocking tight end. Henne will have tons of time to throw and will only have to throw on 3rd down.

I dont see a problem 11-5 were we come. We ran this same style from 1997-2003 and it consistently got the Fins in the playoffs I know I have all the games on DVD.

The reality is that we should draft Jake Long if he is a franchise caliber left tackle. Its a no brainer if that is what he is. That said, is he a franchise caliber left tackle?

I see issues with leverage and strength. I see issues with lateral movement. Please understand, I want Jake Long to be everything many of those on this board portray him to be. We need a left tackle more than any position on this team. No doubt about it. But when I pop in the tape and try to convince myself, which I have done numerous times, I keep seeing a skill set that may be an issue at the next level if he is asked to manned the left side.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....The best left tackles in this draft are Branden Albert, Jeff Otah, and Ryan Clady. Those are the guys, especially Albert and Otah, who could really have a Thomas type impact for the Dolphins. I look at Jake Long and I fear that he will just be another name four or five years from now. I don't feel the same way when I look at Branden Alberts skills set.

R.Clady might end up being a very good LT but he would benefit the most playing in NE or any M.Martz pass happy offenses. Albert is a great OG prospect, but how many times do you ever see a OG convert to a LT. I'm not saying it can't be done but doing that in college for a couple of games is one thing in the NFL is another.

Im with you man. If Long had even Joe Thomas type feet, I would want him in the worst way. I do disagree though that LT is big need. Carey did just fine there. RT right now is our biggest need on the OL.

I agree 100% on Otah and Albert. Ck was mentioning Otah we before people knew who he was. The guy is an animal. Watch the tape of him against Chris Long. Brilliant stuff. Same thing with albert. The agility that guy has for someone his size is amazing. In a few years I think he kicks out to T no problem.

Well people assume that Jake Long is already a starting caliber nfl LT and use the combine to compare jake long and joe thomas

You can quote combine stats all you want, but the combine is not the end all be all.

These are your quotes PerfectTeam but I guess that only works when people try to dispute your claims and it's okay for you to do when supporting yours.

R.Clady might end up being a very good LT but he would benefit the most playing in NE or any M.Martz pass happy offenses. Albert is a great OG prospect, but how many times do you ever see a OG convert to a LT. I'm not saying it can't be done but doing that in college for a couple of games is one thing in the NFL is another.

Pop in the tape on Albert and try to keep your jaw off the floor. His skill set will allow him to dominate as a left tackle in the NFL.

I think he will likely lead the discussion as the best player to come out of this draft ten years from now. Just wait.

Well I'm glad you aren't making the decision.

Im glad your not either unless you could provide something of substance to back up your argument and disprove the notion that jake long has issues of being an NFL LT.

Im with you man. If Long had even Joe Thomas type feet, I would want him in the worst way. I do disagree though that LT is big need. Carey did just fine there. RT right now is our biggest need on the OL.

I agree 100% on Otah and Albert. Ck was mentioning Otah we before people knew who he was. The guy is an animal. Watch the tape of him against Chris Long. Brilliant stuff. Same thing with albert. The agility that guy has for someone his size is amazing. In a few years I think he kicks out to T no problem.

He will kick out to tackle in mini camp in May.

These are your quotes PerfectTeam but I guess that only works when people try to dispute your claims and it's okay for you to do when supporting yours.

Except your assertion was that chris long has no speed. Please tell me how to measure speed without using numbers. Please do. My assertion is that Jake Long does not have the feet when you watch him play. Hard to watch him play with combine numbers.

I guess Im just supporting my arguments with actual substance though.....

No not at all, you can list a boat load of players that got draft late or went undrafted even that turn out great. But if you think we can count on that as a draft theory, we're screwed then. I have not said once that your wrong because you want C.Long. I just personally see a flaw in your reasons, I could very well be wrong and I do not think I know more than anyone else the posts on this board.

I realize C.Long may grade out as #1 BPA, that doesn't mean it's right and when your talking about such a small difference than it doesn't matter what player is picked.

C.Long does nothing to improve our team until J.T or J.P no longer play for this team. Once that happens he'll be a great player at that position, I do not question that. J.Long on the other hand improves our team instantly with his ability at LT and VC ability at RT, this allows us during this rebuilding time to draft a OLB in another round to learn from two great football players and when their gone he fills in and we have a great offensive line. You seem to think plugging in two rookies from the later rounds not learning from anyone except practice and game time to develope would be a good idea. This causes more problems for Beck and Brown let alone if these late rounders don't develope were right back where we started. If this later round OLB doesn't turnout it would not hurt us as bad as a pour Oline.

sorry to keep on but 2 things there - 1) i did not say at any point that i wanted chris long - you have made that call for me it appears and 2) the point i was making was that the impact that JL would have for us is being overexagerrated by some people - and i think you might be one of them.

also, the "later rounds" and round 2 (pick 32 overall) are very different things. some great tackles have been picked in round 2 and the draft is quite deep at tackle this year.

and as far as if someone later on doesnt work out we're back to square 1 - that is exactly the same as if JL doesnt work out... even if he has to move to RT - we'd still need an LT.

He will kick out to tackle in mini camp in May.

I believe your right depending on the team. If he goes to say the jets or patriots as some people have said, I think he stays at guard. If he goes to the chiefs, I believe he kicks out to LT. I just think though, with him having only played something like 2 games at LT, it would be smarter to keep him at G and let him adjust to the NFL speed and then kick out to T in a year or two. Either way, I expect his name in the pro bowl very soon.

Please tell all of us how you or anyone else can say that Albert who has only played two games at tackle...is a better prospect than a player who has played tackle for 4 years? :lol:

Maybe you should be looking at this more;

Long

40yd...5.22

20yd..2.97

10yd..1.75

20 yd shuttle...4.73

3 cone....7.44

Albert

40 yd...5.17

20yd...2.96

10yd...1.71

20yd shuttle...4.78

3 cone...7.97

If you like Albert...who has no experience at tackle...gave up more sacks...you have to love J. Long.

Back
Top Bottom