Jake wont make us awesome... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jake wont make us awesome...

Hate to tell you.

No pick that you make 1 overall this year will make this team Awesome, you still have a good number of holes.

But getting a kid that will play LT for 10+ years will help this team. Not only this year but is something to build on to make this once great franchise (god I hated saying that and almost chucked) good again.

Please tell all of us how you or anyone else can say that Albert who has only played two games at tackle...is a better prospect than a player who has played tackle for 4 years? :lol:

Maybe you should be looking at this more;

Long

40yd...5.22

20yd..2.97

10yd..1.75

20 yd shuttle...4.73

3 cone....7.44

Albert

40 yd...5.17

20yd...2.96

10yd...1.71

20yd shuttle...4.78

3 cone...7.97

If you like Albert...who has no experience at tackle...gave up more sacks...you have to love J. Long.

The combine numbers do not show Long's inability to kick slide out fast enough or his average lateral agility adjusting to inside moves.

The combine numbers do not show Long's inability to kick slide out fast enough or his average lateral agility adjusting to inside moves.

What do you think a 20 yd shuttle and a 3 cone is for...Geez. Man...your going to hate the Dolphins draft aren't you...:d-day:

I can't believe how short-sighted so many posters on this board are......

ususally my argument against people not thinking of the long term is an argument against taking Jake Long, because their only reason seems to be that he fills our biggest CURRENT need.

but the same argument works here........who cares if he will have the biggest impact THIS year? We can get the best player in the draft.....it shouldn't matter who fills the biggest need this year, who'll have the biggest impact this year.

think long-term people.

sorry brother, it's you thats short sighted.

Your position of "biggest need" is one you have assumed. Not everyone assumes it is the biggest need. Some people say "Our run defense" is our biggest short coming. I can't argue with that considering we were last in the league. Some people say "Our Defensive backfield", and okay, I'll accept that too..the Dolphins did give up the second most yards per catch in the league and a realist would recognize that if not for our run defense playing like a bunch of school girls we more than likely would have had the worst pass defense in the league. You say Offensive line, and I say we had the 10th most sacks allowed in the league and rand 23rd in rushing with no real QB and a backup RB most the year...I just don't see that as the "obvious" need to make me or anyone else short sighted. I feel the thing that would help us the most is to add some offense impact players (McFadden or Ryan all-be-it Ryan is a longer project). I simply feel these position will help more than any other. I think we need more skill players in order to spread the offense out and take advantage of all the pro-offense rule changes over the past few years. we need to control the clock to help the defense stay off the field.

Your position of "biggest need" is one you have assumed. Not everyone assumes it is the biggest need. Some people say "Our run defense" is our biggest short coming. I can't argue with that considering we were last in the league. Some people say "Our Defensive backfield", and okay, I'll accept that too..the Dolphins did give up the second most yards per catch in the league and a realist would recognize that if not for our run defense playing like a bunch of school girls we more than likely would have had the worst pass defense in the league. You say Offensive line, and I say we had the 10th most sacks allowed in the league and rand 23rd in rushing with no real QB and a backup RB most the year...I just don't see that as the "obvious" need to make me or anyone else short sighted. I feel the thing that would help us the most is to add some offense impact players (McFadden or Ryan all-be-it Ryan is a longer project). I simply feel these position will help more than any other. I think we need more skill players in order to spread the offense out and take advantage of all the pro-offense rule changes over the past few years. we need to control the clock to help the defense stay off the field.

You can't control the clock unless you have a great O-line...your QB can't pass unless you have a great O-line...and the only way to get a great O-Line is to draft great Linemen...not players with potential.

Please tell all of us how you or anyone else can say that Albert who has only played two games at tackle...is a better prospect than a player who has played tackle for 4 years? :lol:

Maybe you should be looking at this more;

Long

40yd...5.22

20yd..2.97

10yd..1.75

20 yd shuttle...4.73

3 cone....7.44

Albert

40 yd...5.17

20yd...2.96

10yd...1.71

20yd shuttle...4.78

3 cone...7.97

If you like Albert...who has no experience at tackle...gave up more sacks...you have to love J. Long.

We have gone through this before in regards to combine numbers. I know how you feel and how much stock you put in them. That is your opinion on their importance and I will not delve into it any further with you because there is no changing your opinion. I think you are inflating their value significantly, but that is my opinion.

In regards to the statement about how I think Albert is a better prospect it comes down to actually watching the player play and evaluating their skill set. I watch Long and I see a player who I believe may struggle at the next level, especially on the left side. I look at Albert and I see a player who will likely become a All Pro type of bookend.

It's all about skill set and how that skill set translates to the next level. I realize this is falling on def ears because we have gone over this before, but that is my opinion on how you grade players prior to the draft.

He thinks it does. Just let it be. You are not changing his mind.

One player will not make us awesome no matter how talented they are. JL will stabilize the OL and give the QB time to throw - something we haven't seen for a few years. We might be able to put drives together and score - oh and also control the clock. The end result - the defense would be on the field less and rested in the 4th qtr. And we won't be as dependent on the defense to win games.

Just not enough people on these board that want to discuss prospect skill sets. Boomer and some others do, but people scare them off pretty quickly. Its all about name calling and media perception around here.

At least we ave JT and Porter

What do we have on the team in way of left tackles?

A converted right tackle and thats it!

Tell me where the real need is????
Isn't Jake a converted right tackle? At least Vernon has played a year at left tackle in the big boy league.

how am I being short-sighted?

I haven't even labeled our biggest need. I was generalizing the reasoning I read in 95% of the 'draft Jake Long' posts. I couldn't care less what our biggest need is going into this year. We have too many needs to worry about which is the biggest.

Just not enough people on these board that want to discuss prospect skill sets. Boomer and some others do, but people scare them off pretty quickly. Its all about name calling and media perception around here.

That and sportcenter. They see top plays and its like, WE NEED THAT GUY NOW!!!! Why I prefer staying in VIP most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom