Jakeem Grant | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jakeem Grant

Fair play to Grant, I didn't think he would step up and he did. But in a real game, at a big moment when the pressure is on? I still don't trust him to catch the ball.

Grant is a product of coaches pigeonholing a player into a position based based off of size alone as opposed to what they see on tape. I read Gase's presser where he said it was the OC's "great" idea to move him to the outside. But if you look at this college tape, in that texas tec offense he played the majority of the snaps outside in space... so why would you just eliminate that from being an option. I'm glad they were flexible enough to realize that hey... it doesn't have to be this way, lets try him out here and see what he does.

I was wondering why Grant was not used last year as a special part time weapon?

Maybe he needed to season a little...but lining him up in a 4 wideout set with our starting 3 is an ideal scenario for a long ball thrower like Cutler...nightmare for defenses with some clear mismatches.

To me the thing that stood out most was I didn't notice him even out there fielding kicks or punts which means they like what they see there enough to let someone else get a shot at returning

You get hit way harder on kick returns as the speed everyone is traveling is higher than on a punt. You wouldn't want to subject him to that kind of punishment that often.
Makes sense.. but still I think he would be super dangerous as a KR. And we subject Drake to it, who is probably a more important role in the overall offensive scheme (unless Grant gets a lot of shots a WR).. not arguing, just imagining.

Have to take it all with a grain of salt and not too serious.

Three weeks ago people were saying Grant should be cut and replaced by Drew Morgan. Two weeks ago Carroo was so good that the team should consider trading Jarvis Landry. And now Grant should be the number 4 receiver and Carroo dropped to 5.

If you take it all too serious it would drive you insane.

The question is, which people?

You sure they were people worth listening to?

I was wondering why Grant was not used last year as a special part time weapon?

Maybe he needed to season a little...but lining him up in a 4 wideout set with our starting 3 is an ideal scenario for a long ball thrower like Cutler...nightmare for defenses with some clear mismatches.

Gase loves 11 personnel. We used it 74% (716 plays) of the time last year. We only used 4 WR sets 6% of the time with 10 personnel at 3% (27 plays) and 01 personnel 3% (28 plays).

It's not that we didn't have a 4th either with Caroo. It had to do with the ability to provide our offensive line with an in-line TE and a RB for extra pass pro and blitz pickups.

Watching that 65yrd TD pass last night from Fales to Grant on my cell, I have to say the speed of Grant us insane. It looks like everyone else is running in slow motion behind him, and Grant is normally while still picking up even more speed.

Sam Brown (#31) runs a 4.54 and he looked about as outclassed from a speed standpoint as you can be at the NFL level.

I believe Jakeem is around a 4.3-low. That's what I see in him. It looks faster because he combines it with ridiculous quickness, acceleration, elusiveness, and his legs are so short they're pumping faster than everyone else's. But when you're 5'6" you can only be so fast because of those short legs. There are human limits to how fast you can pump them and if you're short they're just not covering a lot of ground.

At this point I think one has to consider it a coaching failure if Grant spends another year not being integrated into the offense in a way that he can make plays on occasion.

Back
Top Bottom