James out Long Term! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

James out Long Term!

Jones too. He gets an exemption. The rest can all go play in the Lingerie League.
I was reluctant to add him as it seems he's been getting injured too. Last year of course but then wasn't he hurt again this year as well and missed a couple games?

lol.....you had me going at first but then I saw what you were doing. I agree, if the way our HC sees the O-line was the way it really was then we'd have the greatest O-line ever

Ozzy rules!!

Me too, I was reading his comment with this look on my face.......... 0-o

James is just a finesse softie. He is weak and is never physical. Cut him and find a right tackle with some power who can play physical.

IMO, this describes the entire o-line... I'd cut them all. Philbin wanted finesse linemen to execute the zone-blocking schemes of his dink-and-dunk short pass based offense. The final result of Philbin's o-line building during his tenure was a bunch of weaklings who not only were consistently dominated by physical d-lines, but they also allowed Tannehill to be sacked more than any other QB over a 4 year period.

When Philbin was finally fired, the new regime's first order of business should have been to build a new o-line. Replacing 5 starters over one off-season is not impossible. A few experienced veteran Free Agents along with some talent from the draft could form a half-decent o-line to get you through your first season. However, I don't understand the mentality of those in charge of this team. They decided to go with most of Philbin's o-line, and I can only assume it's because Gase also prefers a short pass based offense with zone-blocking schemes and finesse linemen. Huh? This didn't work for Philbin, and in his second year Gase has the worst offense in the league (albeit without Tannehill). Evidently, relying on the same style of offense with the same type of linemen is a huge mistake. I believe that Gase would have had better results (even with a back-up QB) if he had ditched the finesse o-line garbage and built a line full of big, nasty maulers and road-graders. The changes they did make were ineffective. The overpaid, oft-injured Albert was replaced by Tunsil. Unfortunately, Tunsil seems pretty weak for a LT and is not worth his draft status. Same with James; no way is James worth $9 million next year! Pouncey is another oft-injured finesse weakling. The revolving door of starting Guards has not been very effective or even average.

If I were Gase and wanted to continue coaching this team, I'd enter the off-season looking to rebuild the entire starting line and probably most of the back-ups, too. Maybe move Tunsil back to LG since he's still on his rookie contract. (But, if he can't be a more physical player I'd trade him.) I'd say bye-bye to the weak finesse linemen and look for nasty old-school linemen. For the remainder of this season, I'd try starting the 5th round pick Asiata and see what he can do.

He was over drafted by the Dolphins
They could have traded back and still picked him
Over drafted, sure. But were there trade offers? Looking at any draft in hindsight is easy.

Nice cop out answer to not knowing about his contract cost / reason for it. “Oh well we drafted him! So still!!”

Looking back, when was the last time we drafted O-line that we can say, "wow, that was a great pick for us"? Last time we drafted a guy that turned out real good was Long and that was the wrong pick anyway.

Ozzy rules!!

Pretty sad when even Tunsil blows chunks and we thought he'd be an elite left tackle.

This is pretty much his rookie LT year, we wasted growth with having him play Guard, that paired with the fact his coach was snorting coke, yeah Tunsil is least of worries, now if he doesn't progress into value for where he was drafted/slotted to be drafted next year, then raise the concerned flag but for now leave it folded in the closet.

James has a durability problem. That dings him on what salary he’s worth. This is two years now on his rookie contract alone where he’s missed the second half of the season. He’s a guy you’ve got to be pins and needles on as to whether he can stay on the field, and that’s a real negative.

James has a durability problem. That dings him on what salary he’s worth. This is two years now on his rookie contract alone where he’s missed the second half of the season. He’s a guy you’ve got to be pins and needles on as to whether he can stay on the field, and that’s a real negative.
Just the kind of player our FO loves to have. Keep on mind they gave Misi an extra year on his contract and they keep on telling us how amazing Pouncey is

Ozzy rules!!

IMO, this describes the entire o-line... I'd cut them all. Philbin wanted finesse linemen to execute the zone-blocking schemes of his dink-and-dunk short pass based offense. The final result of Philbin's o-line building during his tenure was a bunch of weaklings who not only were consistently dominated by physical d-lines, but they also allowed Tannehill to be sacked more than any other QB over a 4 year period.

When Philbin was finally fired, the new regime's first order of business should have been to build a new o-line. Replacing 5 starters over one off-season is not impossible. A few experienced veteran Free Agents along with some talent from the draft could form a half-decent o-line to get you through your first season. However, I don't understand the mentality of those in charge of this team. They decided to go with most of Philbin's o-line, and I can only assume it's because Gase also prefers a short pass based offense with zone-blocking schemes and finesse linemen. Huh? This didn't work for Philbin, and in his second year Gase has the worst offense in the league (albeit without Tannehill). Evidently, relying on the same style of offense with the same type of linemen is a huge mistake. I believe that Gase would have had better results (even with a back-up QB) if he had ditched the finesse o-line garbage and built a line full of big, nasty maulers and road-graders. The changes they did make were ineffective. The overpaid, oft-injured Albert was replaced by Tunsil. Unfortunately, Tunsil seems pretty weak for a LT and is not worth his draft status. Same with James; no way is James worth $9 million next year! Pouncey is another oft-injured finesse weakling. The revolving door of starting Guards has not been very effective or even average.

If I were Gase and wanted to continue coaching this team, I'd enter the off-season looking to rebuild the entire starting line and probably most of the back-ups, too. Maybe move Tunsil back to LG since he's still on his rookie contract. (But, if he can't be a more physical player I'd trade him.) I'd say bye-bye to the weak finesse linemen and look for nasty old-school linemen. For the remainder of this season, I'd try starting the 5th round pick Asiata and see what he can do.
I'm with you on everything except Tunsil. I dont think he is weak, I think bad coaching and the crap ZBS turned him soft.

Back
Top Bottom