Jared Odrick to hit trade block? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jared Odrick to hit trade block?

I really hope this is true and that they re-sign Randy Starks.

I agree with Armando Salguero in that the statements coming out of Kevin Coyle have indicated that they feel very perplexed about where and how to play Jared Odrick. They recognize he's not doing everything they want at defensive end yet they don't think he can play defensive tackle either.

I do recall that too. When someone asked Coyle is Odrick better inside? Coyle response was no we like the role he's playing.

This time of the year, you start to get tons of misinformation shovelled out by GMs.

I would make sure to sign Starks, if they think they can get an impact player to replace Odrick I'm for it,
otherwise I'd like them both back.

I'd like to see Sean in another uniform come preseason. :d-day:

For an upper 2nd pick, sure why not? This pick could also get us back in the first round for an impact player.

For an upper 2nd pick, sure why not? This pick could also get us back in the first round for an impact player.

Or we could have just taken an impact player in the first place instead of dumping yet another first round pick for a loss.

Classic Dolphins. Draft a player and deal him later for less than what was paid. And have your draft picks not sign a second deal. Constant turnover. No building a critical mass for a winning team long-term. Completely the opposite of the Ravens. They draft a nucleus, extend their draft picks, keep building on the core, and add free agents judiciously.

If Miami loses Sean Smith, Long, and Hartline, the Dolphins will have very few players on the roster drafted while Ireland was GM who see a second contract. Even if those guys do come back, there aren't many. Merling, Henne, Langford, Davis, Pat White, and Pat Turner are just some of the high picks drafted who already moved on before they could sign a second contract. Those are six picks that should be forming part of a nucleus, and now three more draft picks could go. Meanwhile, the Dolphins continue to be a sub-.500 team with dwindling fan base, no national profile, etc.

You gotta draft players that you want to be in a longer term plan.

Odrick MIGHT do well on the inside in a 3-technique position but unfortunately we don't know because the Dolphins have had him playing end. Thing is, we have a guy that we KNOW plays that position well. Really well. Damn near Pro Bowl well. Why give him up in exchange for a "maybe"? I don't understand that.

I think the smart move would be to re-sign Starks and then see if you could trade Odrick. Even if you can't trade him, move him back to the interior and have him rotate more actively with Starks and Soliai. He has to focus on that position if you want to get a better idea what his real ceiling is.

Do you want to be the next Burger King? Or the next Del Taco instead of McDonalds or Taco Bell? Sign Ireland !

We're a heck of a long way from Burger King level. We haven't been Burger King in nearly 30 years. I'd sign up for Burger King right now.

Jeff Ireland would have traded the Whopper a long time ago.

Classic Dolphins. Draft a player and deal him later for less than what was paid. And have your draft picks not sign a second deal. Constant turnover. No building a critical mass for a winning team long-term. Completely the opposite of the Ravens. They draft a nucleus, extend their draft picks, keep building on the core, and add free agents judiciously.

If Miami loses Sean Smith, Long, and Hartline, the Dolphins will have very few players on the roster drafted while Ireland was GM who see a second contract. Even if those guys do come back, there aren't many. Merling, Henne, Langford, Davis, Pat White, and Pat Turner are just some of the high picks drafted who already moved on before they could sign a second contract. Those are six picks that should be forming part of a nucleus, and now three more draft picks could go. Meanwhile, the Dolphins continue to be a sub-.500 team with dwindling fan base, no national profile, etc.

You gotta draft players that you want to be in a longer term plan.

Yes, we must keep all our busts....

I has nothing to do with dealing them later for less than what we got them for...it is all about the fact we draft these busts in the first place. If a guy is a bust...get rid of him. Keeping a player just based on draft position is a joke.

Odrick MIGHT do well on the inside in a 3-technique position but unfortunately we don't know because the Dolphins have had him playing end. Thing is, we have a guy that we KNOW plays that position well. Really well. Damn near Pro Bowl well. Why give him up in exchange for a "maybe"? I don't understand that.

I think the smart move would be to re-sign Starks and then see if you could trade Odrick. Even if you can't trade him, move him back to the interior and have him rotate more actively with Starks and Soliai. He has to focus on that position if you want to get a better idea what his real ceiling is.

I don't know why people are so willing to give up the one guy, besides Wake, who is a consistent producer on the line...for a guy that has shown very little. Personally, I think Randall has shown more potential on the interior than Odrick.

We couldn't get a 2nd rounder for Jared Odrick. Most likely a 3rd or early 4th.

Particularly on the lead up to the draft. Nobody wants to surrender draft picks for blase players. The fans want to use the picks and the general manager wants to use the picks. Odrick could command a decent salary in free agency but a fan base would go nuts if a 2nd round pick were surrendered for him. It would have to be a general manager secure in his job and with a conviction on Odrick. And there's the problem. A general manager secure in his job would likely be skilled at his job, and confident that he could turn a 2nd rounder into far greater return than Jared Odrick.

We couldn't get a 2nd rounder for Jared Odrick. Most likely a 3rd or early 4th.

Particularly on the lead up to the draft. Nobody wants to surrender draft picks for blase players. The fans want to use the picks and the general manager wants to use the picks. Odrick could command a decent salary in free agency but a fan base would go nuts if a 2nd round pick were surrendered for him. It would have to be a general manager secure in his job and with a conviction on Odrick. And there's the problem. A general manager secure in his job would likely be skilled at his job, and confident that he could turn a 2nd rounder into far greater return than Jared Odrick.

You would find it easier to convince a team to give up a high pick in 2014, IMO. A lot of teams are still stuck on the idea that those picks are not as valuable as the equivalent in the present draft.

True, but I've always thought that the reason teams prefer to trade future draft picks rather than current year's draft picks is that the GM and coaching staff knows they get value today and can help them keep their jobs today. Whereas if they do poorly it's simply less resources for the next guy to show them up, heh.

When you have a coaching staff that is consistently good like the Patriots, the GM doesn't have to worry as much about that and has free reign to churn value this year for value+1 next year and stockpile picks. Even if nobody of significance is picked, he looks good doing that, but it only works if the team keeps winning ... and the Patriots keep winning, even that year they made Matt Cassell a star.

True, but I've always thought that the reason teams prefer to trade future draft picks rather than current year's draft picks is that the GM and coaching staff knows they get value today and can help them keep their jobs today. Whereas if they do poorly it's simply less resources for the next guy to show them up, heh.

When you have a coaching staff that is consistently good like the Patriots, the GM doesn't have to worry as much about that and has free reign to churn value this year for value+1 next year and stockpile picks. Even if nobody of significance is picked, he looks good doing that, but it only works if the team keeps winning ... and the Patriots keep winning, even that year they made Matt Cassell a star.

And if I were the owner I would take account of the fact that my General Manager is more interested in bleeding resources purely for the sake of keeping his job rather than for the good of the team. To me, that would be a fireable offense and I would let my General Manager know that when he was hired.

Back
Top Bottom