Jarvis Landry contract discussion megathread | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jarvis Landry contract discussion megathread

That should be set in motion already. Runningbacks are basically used up by the time they can get paid if they are not a first round pick

Yeah that is a good point on RBs.... you're almost better off being a punter in the NFL these days. Seeing how an RBs prime is usual year 2 and 3, i agree the rookie contract is basically a joke for them.

Landry is a very valuable player.
If Parker, Thomas, etc. step it up, maybe Landry is less valuable to Miami, but that doesn't mean his value has gone down, just that he may be more valuable to another team.

I REALLY hope Landry resigns with Miami, though....which I believe he will.

This is an interesting take from rotoworld

Ross went on to mention the franchise tag as an option next offseason. It's become increasingly clear the Dolphins have little appetite to extend Landry unless it's on exceedingly team-friendly terms. The franchise tag is also unrealistic for a 5-foot-11 slot receiver. Coach Adam Gase seems to be telling Dolphins brass he doesn't need Landry beyond this season

I don't even like the guy. I see a player with an unhealthy obsession in his competition with Beckham. If Beckham makes a one-handed catch, and then so does Landry. Stupid... just like his bone-headed penalties because he can't control his emotions. IMO, no way is he the "heart and soul" of the offense. What were the main differences in the offense under Gase as compared to under Philbin/Lazor? Gase made more use of the running game and the vertical passing game, and had success with them. Philbin's philosophy was basically "throw short". Gase wanted the same thing, but at least he changed up and added in the run and the deep ball. That's right... I believe that the running game and the deep ball are more important to the offense than anything that Landry contributes. If Miami had a big, tough, nasty, old-school o-line they would have been even more successful. If Landry asks for too much money I'd let him walk. That money would be better spent on building a formidable o-line once and for all.

I'd reply to this with what I really think about it, but I'd rather not get banned.

I'd reply to this with what I really think about it, but I'd rather not get banned.

I assume you don't agree with my opinion? That's okay. I waited years for Philbin to be fired because I couldn't stand his short pass based offensive philosophy. Philbin also downgraded the o-line because he wanted a different type of o-lineman (Martin over Incognito). So, with a line that couldn't block, their offense basically had no choice but to throw quick, short passes just like Philbin wanted. Landry was the go-to guy and that's why he had so many catches. (Plus the fact that when Tannehill did have time, going deep to Wallace didn't work out so well, and they didn't have a real seam-threat TE.) Gase also loves the short pass, but last season he recognized the importance of the running game and the deep ball. And, this year he wants to get his new TEs more involved in the offense. This means that there should be fewer balls headed Landry's way, and he will not be deserving of a huge contract. IMO, the only way that Landry's numbers won't drop is if the o-line is so bad that they're forced to throw all short passes again. But, if this happens, money would be better spent fixing the o-line than to overpay a slot WR.

Ya I don't think we should risk losing one of our best players and the heart and soul of the Miami Dolphins.

I can see him agreeing to a 5 yr 65 mil contract..Someone will pay it if not us

We CANNOT let Jarvis leave.

He's the one player I consider the reason for change in Miami. He's been a godsend.

I know the lack of Tds but he's so much more than just a great receiver.

He instills fear into opposing Dbs with his blocking and aggressive play.

He makes plays out of nothing. Our offense would be a joke without him.

It could also be risky not getting a deal done this year. (He may get 12 tds this upcoming season)

The guys breaking records and is already a top 50 NFL player. (A little high to me but the players think otherwise)

Please don't risk the chance when we're signing Kenny Stills to a contract worth 8 mil a year. (they're not even close in any department except for speed which goes to Stills)

We need to keep him a Miami Dolphin for his career. Make it happen!!

PHINS UP!!!

I agree with you. Landry is the offense's attitude. He gets everyone fired up. He gives everything he has. I would much rather a player with tons of heart. Kinda like Zach Thomas. Not the most naturally gifted player but he had more heart than anyone and was the most important player on our defense.

Lets say he has a good but not great year.He hits FA next year and demands top 5 dollar.We loose him to a team with tons of cape space.
What compensation pick would we receive the following year??

Depends on how many freexagentscwecsign vshow many we lose. I'm guessing we transition tag him and go from there.

I think that the best we would get is a late 3rd round Draft pick. However, I agree with Foozool13, more likely that we franchise tag him if we can't get the long term deal done. BTW - I have no problem with Tannenbaum and Grier telling Jarvis that he's got to perform and get more TDs this year to get the big long term deal. He's very good but a bit of pressure can help to make him hungrier.

Worst case scenario with Landry. We let him walk and goes to NE, helps extend Brady's career by five years and he goes into the hall of fame as a Pat

Stills has proven to be a deep-threat who can score TDs. Carroo needs to see the field, or else Miami has to admit that they screwed up by using so many picks to get him. Gase has said that he wants to get the TEs more involved in his offense, so look for Thomas and Fasano to be targeted. And let's not forget Parker, who should take over the #1 WR spot. Landry was Tannehill's "security blanket" (due to having to throw short because of poor o-line play), but now Cutler will be behind Center. I expect these other receivers to take catches away from Landry, and his numbers will go down. There's no way he'll be worth the amount most think he's expecting.

Back
Top Bottom