Jarvis Landry contract discussion megathread | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jarvis Landry contract discussion megathread

Landry will get his dough. My guess is 5 years, 65M, 30M guaranteed

Landry is trying to prove that he is, as a WR, what he thinks he is - Odell, Bryant etc.... He will be humbled in that thinking.

If they were going to sign him in 2017, seems like they should be getting it done right now....not really any major milestones left...draft picks signed, FA more or less finished.

I'm guessing it's just a case of being a million or two/yr too far apart right now.

OK folks, Landry's contract is a very popular topic on the site for obvious reasons. We have had a great many recent threads discussing when/if Landry should be offered a deal and how much this contract offer should be worth. Feel free to discuss this much as you like, but lets keep it all in this thread until it is announced that the Fins have actually offered him a deal.

Note from Moderator - Please put all further debates, discussions and articles (at least until he is actually offered a new contract) in this thread, we do not need 20 separate debates regarding when/if Landry should be offered an extension.

If you sign him at the end of the year doesnt it become a much larger check that if you sign him 6 months ago?

Im in orlando so I dont get to read about the fins every day but I dont get the thinking...I honestly (with our history) see the FO screwing the pooch and Landry leaving to another team...

OK,someone will have to explain this to me. (If this is too far OT, I figure the OT will delete it).
For round numbers, let's say Landry is making $500k. Miami offers him $12.5mil/yr for 5 yrs with $30mil guaranteed. He holds out and gets $13mil/yr with $30mil guaranteed. So he gets $5mil more but has to play for $500k til then. And if he signs this summer, he gets out of the contract a yr sooner. Yes, I understand risk of injury during the new contract, but there is risk of injury THIS season. I've never understood these players who hold out and get little more than the original offer. I'm aware there is ego involved ("I want to be paid top 3 money"), but passing on $12mil. Maybe I'm to dollar-centered.

Personally I love Jarvis. I think he has some growing up to do BUT he is a pleasure to watch. I love the mentality but no so much the bonehead, after the whistle, nonsense. It's amusing when the coaches and players automatically know to grab him up after a play and calm him down. Like pulling a bit bull from a small child.

That being said, he has been fed like a #1 receiver for the last two years. What happens when DeVante Parker steps to the forefront and starts getting targeting more than Landry? gets more yardage? points? Becomes a true #1 receiver and star?

He may also have to contend with Julius Thomas taking some targets from him as well as Ajayi.

Not a bad problem to have and I think they are close enough as a team to handle it.

2016:
Landry's targets per snap is 1 target per every 6.81 snaps. (94 receptions on 131targets)
DVP targets per snap is 1 target per every 8.45 snaps. (56 receptions on 87 targets)

...and DVP played 1 fewer game and started half as many games.

DVP averaged 19 ypr as a rookie and only 13 last year. I think he is probably a 16 ypr guy. Multiply that by 80 receptions and he is netting about 1280 yards.

Jarvis at (a lower) 80 receptions (down from 94) is only getting about 848 yards. I think he will improve on his yards per catch this year from a career average of 10.6 up to about 13.4 ypr (12.1 in 2016) and he gets about 1072 yards and his TD's will increase from 4 to 8.

I could also see Stills reception count and TD's go down as well.

Hope Miami doesn't lose Landry. Hope he doesn't get hurt either before a new deal.

If he got hurt this year, as in career threatening, i would be surprised if that did not set in motion a players association dispute on rookie contracts, and what to do when guys are grossly outperforming them.

Would be a shame for all involved, thats for sure

This just feels way too risky. Landry seemingly has nothing to gain by doing this and everything to lose. Sure, he could have an even more productive season than last year and raise his price some, but the chances of him suffering an injury are too great to take the chance on waiting for a payout next season.

Could get interesting if Parkers numbers improve and Thomas catches 40-50 balls. Jarvis' numbers could very well go down....then what? How much is he worth then?

I've already expressed my lack of contract logic in another thread so I won't revisit that. That said, to me, a player like Landry (WR), has a number of factors to consider. If the OL gets the run game clicking, that could spell lack of overall pass attempts. No one knows how Parker will affect Landry's attempts. Nor Stills. Miami has 3 TE who, overall, can take more attempts from Landry. JA is said to have improved pass-catching and Drake, Williams are back. Yes, I know receivers are paid for things OTHER THAN receptions, but those receptions play a big part in the contract. And even a small (e.g., 3 game) injury can be a factor in negotiations. Sorry, but if I'm a player who is offered a contract close to my ask, there are too many potentially negative factors for me to hole out for a few bucks more. OTOH, THE over-riding factor seems to be "3rd highest paid." "highest paid," or some other ego stroking goal.

Yeah, your agent already told us...and said not really.

This is one of the stranger contract tactics I've witnessed.

Back
Top Bottom