Jason Taylor sees potential in Jordan | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jason Taylor sees potential in Jordan

Daytona Fin

Queeks Draw
Club Member
Reaction score
In a recent visit with NBCSN’s Pro Football Talk, Taylor talked about Jordan’s development.

“It was really his first year putting his hand in the dirt, being able to play defensive end from the dirt so in my little bit of experience working with him in the last few weeks, he’s a bright kid, he’s very very athletic, very talented, quick fast long can play with leverage,” Taylor said. “Coming off a shoulder injury last year he had a bit of a setback and didn’t have a chance to really come into camp and understand what he needed to do to get ready to play, but having a whole offseason healthy and being able to concentrate on football and learn some of the intricacies of the game, using his hands better and playing with better leverage and realizing you can’t just speed rush everybody in this league on every play. That’s one of the things I talked to him about. You have to come up with a counter move and use his length and his athleticism.

“He’s learning. He’s a young kid, he’s a sponge though. It’s great to work with someone like that, he’s a sponge and has unbelievable control of his body athletically and one of those guys where you can tell him what to do, show him what to do and he’ll translate that and do it himself so I look forward to watching him play this year, I think he’ll have a big year and hopefully I’ll get a chance to work with him in training camp and see his progression.”
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/25/jason-taylor-sees-great-potential-in-dion-jordan/

I agree he has potential I just don't agree he has the potential that the third overall pick should have in the draft.

Get. Over it already. What's done is done. At the very least wait until he is an official bust to piss and moan about where he was picked.

Well damn, I sure as hell hope there's potential in Jordan.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

I agree he has potential I just don't agree he has the potential that the third overall pick should have in the draft.

I'm sure you'd find a way to complain about winning the lottery.

I'm happy to see Taylor wanting to help get guys like Jordan get up to his potential!

The 2013 draft class got a lot of flak as being "awful" or a "waste". Now it appears the team might be getting a lot of help this season from that class. A lot of good things being said this offseason about Jordan, Taylor and Thomas.

Thomas and Taylor might be starters and Jordan figures to be part of a killer three man rotation at defensive end. Plus throw in Sturgis and the class might not be all that bad.

Well damn, I sure as hell hope there's potential in Jordan.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

I'm sure you'd find a way to complain about winning the lottery.

Some people just like to piss in the cereal. Must be miserable to be like that

Eh.... it's all relative.

3rd pick in last years draft would of been a late first in this years draft.

Many experts have already stated last years draft was BEYOND thin with elite prospects.

Jordan being one of maybe 5.

So the Fins jumped up and got a elite prospect instead of sitting back and getting a average player with their first round pick.

The 2013 draft class got a lot of flak as being "awful" or a "waste". Now it appears the team might be getting a lot of help this season from that class. A lot of good things being said this offseason about Jordan, Taylor and Thomas.

Thomas and Taylor might be starters and Jordan figures to be part of a killer three man rotation at defensive end. Plus throw in Sturgis and the class might not be all that bad.

You left out Jelani Jenkins who has impressed early this year as well.

I see Jordan much like Taylor did...of course you want instant gratification from a 3rd overall pick that cost you two premium picks.

There were legitimate setbacks he suffered and yet he still made a gamewinning play as I recall and flashed lots of potential.

If he blossoms this year no one will remember last year or care.

But then again, how much difference in value was there between being taken third by us and 4th by Chip Kelly, the coach who knew him best who was sitting there certain of the pick - until blindsided by Ireland's kamikaze leapfrog in front of him. Obviously from overtures made recently, Chip still hasn't gotten over having Jordan snatched out of his hands.

But then again, how much difference in value was there between being taken third by us and 4th by Chip Kelly, the coach who knew him best who was sitting there certain of the pick - until blindsided by Ireland's kamikaze leapfrog in front of him. Obviously from overtures made recently, Chip still hasn't gotten over having Jordan snatched out of his hands.

Dolphins draft a player.....'OMG that guy is a bust, terrible pick, didn't even contribute year 1."

Patriots draft a player...."OMG, Billicheat is a genius, let him develop for year 1 and the guy will be a beast! GENIUS!!!!!!!! (FAP FAP FAP FAP)."

Sounds familiar? :chuckle:

Don't ask how but I had the opportunity to talk to jason for about an hour and I actually asked him about dion Jordan. He said how he is basically a freak athlete but doesn't know what he's doing yet. He immediately goes into talking Olivier Vernon and said now that guy is a player. Anyway thought it was interesting how he jumped on Vernon when I asked him about Jordan(he's a huge Vernon fan). He also said he liked the move of misi inside and said all of our linebackers were out of position last year. Really cool talking to jt about our current roster.

Noone knows who Kelly was going to take that's just speculation. Now would he like to add a good prospect of course but he had a chance to trade up one spot. Don't tell me that Kelly didn't know Oakland was trading the pick and the possibility of Dion Jordan being taken third. I mean if Kelly thought Jordan was so awesome Im sure he would feel that another team might.
Oakland traded the pick to the team that gave up the most. I don't negate that Kelly would like Jordan on his team but its not like he made some unbelievable offer to aquire him from us and wouldn't even trade a third to move up one spot and get him that year. We don't know what would have happened if Jordan had been there at 4, we don't know what would have happened if Johnson and Jordan were there at 4. We do know that Oakland floated that pick in trade for best offer and Kelly says he wasn't willing to give up a third round pick to move up and ensure that they get him, that's about all we know.

Later, reporters questioned Kelly if he had intended to take his former player at 4. Chip's response indicated that it was a possibility:

"Trust me, [Dion Jordan], we considered him heavily," [...] "We didn't get a chance to pull the trigger on that one."

When asked about why the Eagles didn't move up 1 spot to take Jordan, Chip talked about the potential sacrifice that type of move would require:

"When you start to get getting emotionally involved, and I was very conscious of that, then what do you have to do to move up? [...] If you move up to get him, then that means you don't get Bennie Logan because you don't have a third-round pick or you don't get Matt Barkley because you don't have a fourth-round pick. It's the accumulation of putting the whole team together. It's saying, 'What are you willing to sacrifice to get one player?'"

By these indications, the Eagles valued Jordan highly to some extent but he clearly wasn't a "must-have" player. If he really was, they would have traded up a spot. They absolutely had the resources to do so. But ultimately they didn't want to.

Maybe it was because they didn't actually value Jordan as highly as some thought. Peter King recently wrote in his MMQB:

[...] I'm told the Eagles weren't going to choose Jordan fourth overall.

It's an interesting tidbit but I'm not sure how true it is. Unless Chip was just posturing about his former player, why would Chip lie about his interest in Jordan? Or maybe King's source was posturing in the Eagles favor, making it seem like the team didn't miss out on a guy they truly wanted?

Either way, we don't really know for sure and it doesn't really matter. Dion Jordan is a Dolphin and the Eagles got their guy in Lane Johnson. The OT was a sensible pick too so it wasn't like "missing out" on Jordan threw a wrench in the Eagles plans. If anything, assuming King's report is true, it shows the Eagles valued Lane Johnson more. That's an even better endorsement of the pick.

Also not sure because socalledly Kelly knowing Jordan best means much since he had a chance to take Kiko Alonso and passed . You would have thought he would know him best also

Noone knows who Kelly was going to take that's just speculation. Now would he like to add a good prospect of course but he had a chance to trade up one spot. Don't tell me that Kelly didn't know Oakland was trading the pick and the possibility of Dion Jordan being taken third. I mean if Kelly thought Jordan was so awesome Im sure he would feel that another team might.
Oakland traded the pick to the team that gave up the most. I don't negate that Kelly would like Jordan on his team but its not like he made some unbelievable offer to aquire him from us and wouldn't even trade a third to move up one spot and get him that year. We don't know what would have happened if Jordan had been there at 4, we don't know what would have happened if Johnson and Jordan were there at 4. We do know that Oakland floated that pick in trade for best offer and Kelly says he wasn't willing to give up a third round pick to move up and ensure that they get him, that's about all we know.

Later, reporters questioned Kelly if he had intended to take his former player at 4. Chip's response indicated that it was a possibility:

"Trust me, [Dion Jordan], we considered him heavily," [...] "We didn't get a chance to pull the trigger on that one."

When asked about why the Eagles didn't move up 1 spot to take Jordan, Chip talked about the potential sacrifice that type of move would require:

"When you start to get getting emotionally involved, and I was very conscious of that, then what do you have to do to move up? [...] If you move up to get him, then that means you don't get Bennie Logan because you don't have a third-round pick or you don't get Matt Barkley because you don't have a fourth-round pick. It's the accumulation of putting the whole team together. It's saying, 'What are you willing to sacrifice to get one player?'"

By these indications, the Eagles valued Jordan highly to some extent but he clearly wasn't a "must-have" player. If he really was, they would have traded up a spot. They absolutely had the resources to do so. But ultimately they didn't want to.

Maybe it was because they didn't actually value Jordan as highly as some thought. Peter King recently wrote in his MMQB:

[...] I'm told the Eagles weren't going to choose Jordan fourth overall.

It's an interesting tidbit but I'm not sure how true it is. Unless Chip was just posturing about his former player, why would Chip lie about his interest in Jordan? Or maybe King's source was posturing in the Eagles favor, making it seem like the team didn't miss out on a guy they truly wanted?

Either way, we don't really know for sure and it doesn't really matter. Dion Jordan is a Dolphin and the Eagles got their guy in Lane Johnson. The OT was a sensible pick too so it wasn't like "missing out" on Jordan threw a wrench in the Eagles plans. If anything, assuming King's report is true, it shows the Eagles valued Lane Johnson more. That's an even better endorsement of the pick.

Also not sure because socalledly Kelly knowing Jordan best means much since he had a chance to take Kiko Alonso and passed . You would have thought he would know him best also

Yet, 2 years after the fact (rumored) Chip is still sending out love letters like a desperate Ex-gf trying to get Jordan back?

:ponder:

After seeing Sturgis last year I'm not so sure he's an nfl kicker. He looked scared and nervous since the ravens game.

Back
Top Bottom