Jason Taylor sees potential in Jordan | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jason Taylor sees potential in Jordan

yea maybe I'm just an optimistic guy, and to be honest I don't watch a lot of "tape" on these kids before we draft em. I'd say it's premature because he hasn't had a lot of opportunity to contribute yet. you can speculate as to whether or not that was due to injury or lack of ability, but regardless you haven't seen much of him in a dolphins uniform. considering we just discussed his transition to a new position...his college performance won't be 100% representative of what he'll be doing here....call me crazy but yea most often I don't dislike picks until I get the chance to see them on the field

everyone liked the injury excuse yet we played him on special teams so I don't totally buy into the injury excuse.
Now I do accept that he was limited in the offseason and could have showed up stronger and can get better.
When wake got hurt they played him a lot that game, maybe the most all year. The end result was the next week Shelby started over him. So they didn't trust him to start a week after he played a lot.
A lot of rookies struggle but with Jordan if he gets one sack that's all some people tend to see and yet ignore the other 10 plays he is in on.
Also nothing wrong with being optimistic. I think we went dumpster diving with our GM and got like our 5th choice but Im taking a wait and see before I start trashing him.
I didn't like his draft and some free agents were questionable. I have spoke out on these but I will form an opinion over time.

I'm sure you'd find a way to complain about winning the lottery.

Of course. When they say the Powerball is $100 million what they mean is that it is $100 million if you take it over 20 years at $5 million a year as an annuity. If you take it all as a lump sum you only get about half the advertised amount and then the freaking government takes about 35% of it. So your $100 million is actually worth much less than $50 million.

Chip Kelly wanted Jordan. Opinions may differ, but I'm sold that he wanted him, was going to take him at 4, and continues to want him. Sure, start the negotiations low ... but the Eagles started them.

They thought we were trading up to get Lane Johnson ... the last of the 3 marquee players at our position of need, and the very best fit for our scheme. It also filled a glaring hole and would be building around our young franchise QB. It made a lot of sense!

The Eagles weren't fooled. We were fools. We failed to make the right moves and our season imploded and the guy who pulled the trigger, Ireland, was canned.

Dion Jordan is a long term excellent prospect. But he was RAW. With his shoulder he didn't get the time he needed with the coaches to refine his game. He was woefully undersized and had to learn a new position. All he could be last year was a situational pass rusher and special teamer. That's not surprising.

I think he will become a very good player. But, it will take time.

a 2nd round pick and a player is a farly high initial offer
depends on the player they offered, as far as i can remember it was brandon graham, i don't watch much eagles football but i've heard quite a few people say he is hot garbage fwiw

not for the 3rd pick in the draft;. A late second and a first round bust is not a respectable offer.

Once again...all relative.

3rd pick in 2013 draft would of been a late first in 2014 draft.

If Jordan was in the 2014 draft he wouldn't of even sniffed Top 15

not for the 3rd pick in the draft;. A late second and a first round bust is not a respectable offer.

you're right.. it wasn't enough compensation for a player rated as highly as Jordan! And of course, nothing ventured, nothing gained.. like the 7th rounder that the Colts first offered Ireland for Vontae.

As a matter of fact their 26th pick which the Eagles used to take OLB Marcus Smith wouldn't have been enough for a player of Jordan's potential. To emphasize how foolish the Eagles were in not offering that pick up (which we still shouldn't have taken), the NFL had Smith projected as a 3rd to 4th rounder (which makes any complaint about overreaching for James just laughable). So to me it sounds like Kelly justifiably wanted Jordan but was shot down by Roseman and Gamble who showed their smarts by over-reaching 2 to 3 rounds! So much for the Eagles knowing what they're doing. Anyone who wouldn't rather spend a late first and a draft bust - or at least try for the potential of Jordan vs taking this guy really can't see the forest for the trees :idk:

snippet:
Weaknesses
Lacks ideal length -- plays short-armed and can be locked up by larger blockers. Short initial steps. Still crafting a wider array of counters and pass-rush moves. Still learning to convert speed to power. Work in progress as a run defender. Does not set a hard edge and can do a better job using his hands to disengage quicker. Needs to become a more violent hands fighter. Limited experience playing in reverse.
Draft Projection
Rounds 3-4
Bottom Line
A high school quarterback turned pass rusher who broke out with 14.5 sacks as a senior (1.12 sacks-per-game average led nation), Smith projects as a pass-rushing, 3-4 right outside linebacker in the pros. Should contribute initially on passing downs and has eventual starter potential as his game becomes more well-rounded.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/marcus-smith?id=2543725

And Hickey isn't as dumb as they thought

I don't think any GM is that dumb. In his second year I don't think you could have got Vernon Ghoulston for that offer.
If the first round was offered then it might have got interesting but even then they are offering a late first rounder for a guy we took number three overall just a year ago.
I can think of no trades iun NFL history when a guy drafted that high was traded the next year for such a low offer.
The Eagles had the opportunity to trade up and draft him in the initial draft but trading a 3rd round pick was too much to give up , they said that out of their own mouth.
If the Eagles thought there was no chance that Jordan would be gone by their pick then they were pretty stupid esp since Oakland shopped that pick all over.
teams were just as likely to trade up for Jordan as Johnson, probably more so.
I have never said that many teams did not view Jordan as a top 10 pick, I said I would not have taken him in the top 10. If he had been there at our pick and all the other guys were still on board I would have passed him over at number 12.
Not every teams draft board is the same. Many teams would not have drafted James where we did , proabably most teams but for some reason our front office thought he was worth the 19th pick, much like Hayden last year for the Raiders.
Im pretty sure if we offered the Jets Michael egnew and our second round pick that would not have landed Dee Milliner this year. I said all along that after the top two players the next 13 to 15 were so close in rating or perceived talent it wasn't worth trading up.

Back
Top Bottom