Jason Taylor sees potential in Jordan | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jason Taylor sees potential in Jordan

Yet, 2 years after the fact (rumored) Chip is still sending out love letters like a desperate Ex-gf trying to get Jordan back?

:ponder:

Noone ever said he didn't like him as player. But the most they offered was a second round pick and Brandon friggin Graham. This is hardly proof he wanted to take him number four overall.
he didn't even offer his late first round pick for a guy you claim he is that infatuatiate with.

Noone knows who Kelly was going to take that's just speculation. Now would he like to add a good prospect of course but he had a chance to trade up one spot. Don't tell me that Kelly didn't know Oakland was trading the pick and the possibility of Dion Jordan being taken third. I mean if Kelly thought Jordan was so awesome Im sure he would feel that another team might.
Oakland traded the pick to the team that gave up the most. I don't negate that Kelly would like Jordan on his team but its not like he made some unbelievable offer to aquire him from us and wouldn't even trade a third to move up one spot and get him that year. We don't know what would have happened if Jordan had been there at 4, we don't know what would have happened if Johnson and Jordan were there at 4. We do know that Oakland floated that pick in trade for best offer and Kelly says he wasn't willing to give up a third round pick to move up and ensure that they get him, that's about all we know.

Later, reporters questioned Kelly if he had intended to take his former player at 4. Chip's response indicated that it was a possibility:

"Trust me, [Dion Jordan], we considered him heavily," [...] "We didn't get a chance to pull the trigger on that one."

When asked about why the Eagles didn't move up 1 spot to take Jordan, Chip talked about the potential sacrifice that type of move would require:

"When you start to get getting emotionally involved, and I was very conscious of that, then what do you have to do to move up? [...] If you move up to get him, then that means you don't get Bennie Logan because you don't have a third-round pick or you don't get Matt Barkley because you don't have a fourth-round pick. It's the accumulation of putting the whole team together. It's saying, 'What are you willing to sacrifice to get one player?'"

By these indications, the Eagles valued Jordan highly to some extent but he clearly wasn't a "must-have" player. If he really was, they would have traded up a spot. They absolutely had the resources to do so. But ultimately they didn't want to.

Maybe it was because they didn't actually value Jordan as highly as some thought. Peter King recently wrote in his MMQB:

[...] I'm told the Eagles weren't going to choose Jordan fourth overall.

It's an interesting tidbit but I'm not sure how true it is. Unless Chip was just posturing about his former player, why would Chip lie about his interest in Jordan? Or maybe King's source was posturing in the Eagles favor, making it seem like the team didn't miss out on a guy they truly wanted?

Either way, we don't really know for sure and it doesn't really matter. Dion Jordan is a Dolphin and the Eagles got their guy in Lane Johnson. The OT was a sensible pick too so it wasn't like "missing out" on Jordan threw a wrench in the Eagles plans. If anything, assuming King's report is true, it shows the Eagles valued Lane Johnson more. That's an even better endorsement of the pick.

Also not sure because socalledly Kelly knowing Jordan best means much since he had a chance to take Kiko Alonso and passed . You would have thought he would know him best also

It's funny that you of all posters jump to certain conclusions as probable fact yet when conveniently the antithesis of your entrenched agenda, play the "we don't really know what would have happened" card even when all empirical evidence points to Kelly sitting there like everyone else, surprised out of his gourd that anyone would trade up in front of him for Jordan who was a top 10 pick on most boards to begin with. Johnson was a nice consolation pick but that's what he was. Again, the coach who knew Jordan best and still pines for the one that got away most likely valued him as a 4th .. so now you have at least 2 teams putting him in the top 5. Beyond that there was scuttlebut that the jets were ready to take him at 8 (I believe that was their first pick). Bottom line, whether you agree or not, he was appraised by many as a top 10 pick, so live with it.

Noone knows who Kelly was going to take that's just speculation. Now would he like to add a good prospect of course but he had a chance to trade up one spot. Don't tell me that Kelly didn't know Oakland was trading the pick and the possibility of Dion Jordan being taken third. I mean if Kelly thought Jordan was so awesome Im sure he would feel that another team might.
Oakland traded the pick to the team that gave up the most. I don't negate that Kelly would like Jordan on his team but its not like he made some unbelievable offer to aquire him from us and wouldn't even trade a third to move up one spot and get him that year. We don't know what would have happened if Jordan had been there at 4, we don't know what would have happened if Johnson and Jordan were there at 4. We do know that Oakland floated that pick in trade for best offer and Kelly says he wasn't willing to give up a third round pick to move up and ensure that they get him, that's about all we know.

Later, reporters questioned Kelly if he had intended to take his former player at 4. Chip's response indicated that it was a possibility:

"Trust me, [Dion Jordan], we considered him heavily," [...] "We didn't get a chance to pull the trigger on that one."

When asked about why the Eagles didn't move up 1 spot to take Jordan, Chip talked about the potential sacrifice that type of move would require:

"When you start to get getting emotionally involved, and I was very conscious of that, then what do you have to do to move up? [...] If you move up to get him, then that means you don't get Bennie Logan because you don't have a third-round pick or you don't get Matt Barkley because you don't have a fourth-round pick. It's the accumulation of putting the whole team together. It's saying, 'What are you willing to sacrifice to get one player?'"

By these indications, the Eagles valued Jordan highly to some extent but he clearly wasn't a "must-have" player. If he really was, they would have traded up a spot. They absolutely had the resources to do so. But ultimately they didn't want to.

Maybe it was because they didn't actually value Jordan as highly as some thought. Peter King recently wrote in his MMQB:

[...] I'm told the Eagles weren't going to choose Jordan fourth overall.

It's an interesting tidbit but I'm not sure how true it is. Unless Chip was just posturing about his former player, why would Chip lie about his interest in Jordan? Or maybe King's source was posturing in the Eagles favor, making it seem like the team didn't miss out on a guy they truly wanted?

Either way, we don't really know for sure and it doesn't really matter. Dion Jordan is a Dolphin and the Eagles got their guy in Lane Johnson. The OT was a sensible pick too so it wasn't like "missing out" on Jordan threw a wrench in the Eagles plans. If anything, assuming King's report is true, it shows the Eagles valued Lane Johnson more. That's an even better endorsement of the pick.

Also not sure because socalledly Kelly knowing Jordan best means much since he had a chance to take Kiko Alonso and passed . You would have thought he would know him best also

Regardless of whether or not Chip was going to take Dion 4th overall doesn't change the fact that he was, across virtually all big boards, a top 5-10 candidate. Are you saying that a player who would've easily been "worth it" at 5-8, was not at 3? That's a tough argument to make....in addition, you earlier referenced to his "potential" not being worthy a #3 pick....it's pretty difficult to accurately project someone's ceiling when they're so raw coming into a new position after a should injury playing limited snaps....everyone has a right to their opinion, but I think it's a little too premature to be so negative. IMO.

It's funny that you of all posters jump to certain conclusions as probable fact yet when conveniently the antithesis of your entrenched agenda, play the "we don't really know what would have happened" card even when all empirical evidence points to Kelly sitting there like everyone else, surprised out of his gourd that anyone would trade up in front of him for Jordan who was a top 10 pick on most boards to begin with. Johnson was a nice consolation pick but that's what he was. Again, the coach who knew Jordan best and still pines for the one that got away most likely valued him as a 4th .. so now you have at least 2 teams putting him in the top 5. Beyond that there was scuttlebut that the jets were ready to take him at 8 (I believe that was their first pick). Bottom line, whether you agree or not, he was appraised by many as a top 10 pick, so live with it.

I have no agenda that's still your stupid buzz word . You are damn sure stretching the very definition of the term empirical evidence, more like empirical opinion. It was well known that the Raiders were looking to move that pick and get back their second round pick.

In fact this was just before the draft As the first round of the NFL Draft approaches Thursday, speculation is mounting about what the Raiders will do at No. 3 — trade the pick, or keep it?

Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports reports that the Raiders and Browns may be in discussions to work out a trade involving Oakland’s selection.

on April 15
The 2013 NFL Draft isn’t considered particularly strong in the first round and is tabbed as a second round draft for the best value.

According to Peter King of SI.com, the Oakland Raiders are looking to trade down from the number three spot. General manager Reggie McKenzie has been very prudent in free agency as he tries to balance the salary cap.

Gaining extra draft picks helps the Raiders stock their roster with cheap talent and start the process of developing their team through the draft. King writes:

‘If Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie gets his way, though, he won't be picking in the top five. The Raiders want to trade down to recoup the second-round pick that was sent to the Cincinnati Bengals in the Carson Palmer trade.’

From CBS sportsline
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...iders-looking-to-move-down-ots-could-go-1-2-3

I continue to hear the Oakland Raiders want to move from the third slot in the draft ... I’m told the Raiders are unlikely to draft Shariff Floyd, even if they can’t move down from the third slot. As one source close to the situation told me earlier today, "the mock draft community is overrating Shariff Floyd." Word is the Tennessee Titans at 10 look like a good fit.

Oakland shopped the pick and the best they could get was what we offered so Kelly knew damn well that pick was being shopped. Lets not act like anybody was surprised that the Raiders moved down. Your opinion is no more valid than anyone else on who the Eagles wanted to take.
I never said that Jordan was not rated as a top 10 pick in that draft I said he wasn't worth moving up for because after pick 2, picks 3 through 15 there wasn't a lot separating them as players. I wouldn't have drafted Jordan at 12 with the players that were left on the board esp with him being a bad fit for our defense.
I have no choice to live with the bad picks my team has made. Kelly could have had him by giving up a pick so obviously he didn't think as much of him as u do. In fact he didn't even offer a 1st round pick for him this year. For the Eagles its smart business to trade a late 1st round pick for a player that has played for the coach .
Lets not act like Kelly backed up the brinks truck to aquire him from us.

The Browns select sixth overall, so it isn’t much of a drop for the Raiders if nothing intrigues them when they are on the clock.

The Raiders have also been linked to possible trades with Detroit, Arizona, and Miami.

None of this is evidence but neither is anything that you stated.
It does show that there was a lot of reports that Oakland was shopping the pick.

Regardless of whether or not Chip was going to take Dion 4th overall doesn't change the fact that he was, across virtually all big boards, a top 5-10 candidate. Are you saying that a player who would've easily been "worth it" at 5-8, was not at 3? That's a tough argument to make....in addition, you earlier referenced to his "potential" not being worthy a #3 pick....it's pretty difficult to accurately project someone's ceiling when they're so raw coming into a new position after a should injury playing limited snaps....everyone has a right to their opinion, but I think it's a little too premature to be so negative. IMO.

How is it premature to not like a pick. I mean do u automatically like every pick we take or do you have an actual opinion on players drafted.

I mean we do get to see draft picks play in college before we draft them.

I didn't like Jordan at 12 for us.

And there's probably a few people who thought Cam Wake wouldn't turn into anything special either. :lol:

Plenty of people thought John beck was going to be awesome same with Ted Ginn.
Im sure Jets fans were quite happy when they drafted Vernon Ghoulston.

The 2013 draft class got a lot of flak as being "awful" or a "waste". Now it appears the team might be getting a lot of help this season from that class. A lot of good things being said this offseason about Jordan, Taylor and Thomas.

Thomas and Taylor might be starters and Jordan figures to be part of a killer three man rotation at defensive end. Plus throw in Sturgis and the class might not be all that bad.

Thomas and Taylor!!! Seeing those names together bring back some fond memories....

I didn't like Jordan at 12 for us.

well at least you have conviction with your opinion. I myself am tempered with expectations for Dion because we are 100% playing him out of his natural position. I just hope he can at the very least put together some consistent pressure/sack production.

Thomas and Taylor!!! Seeing those names together bring back some fond memories....

Yea two great players , two of the best dolphin players ever.
Unfortunately both of those players are huge question marks

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

well at least you have conviction with your opinion. I myself am tempered with expectations for Dion because we are 100% playing him out of his natural position. I just hope he can at the very least put together some consistent pressure/sack production.

I don't disagree he is out of position, I don't think he is some unbelievable prospect based on watching him in college but as a 3-4 linebacker he is a much better prospect

Plenty of people thought John beck was going to be awesome same with Ted Ginn.
Im sure Jets fans were quite happy when they drafted Vernon Ghoulston.

That's good to know. I'm sure those same people eventually moved on and didn't keep harping on where those players were drafted.

I never get why people get so butthurt on a differing opinion. I don't begrudge anybody that likes Jordan as a prospect for us. My issue is the idiots that wont let someone have an opinion without some asinine comment about some make believe agenda. yes if you believe I have an anti dolphin agenda you are an illinformed
If I wasn't a dolphin fan I would have the guts to say so. Im am quite critical of the dolphins and I feel I have every right to be. Wasn't implying you were acting that way if you must know. Im just trying to figure out how a fan of a team that has not had a winning season in half a decade and not much success in last decade doesn't have the right to be critical of his team and the people running it. If Im not mistaken I have supported Tannehill from day one and have never wavered while others cannot make up their mind , one day he is top 10 the next he is bust.

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

That's good to know. I'm sure those same people eventually moved on and didn't keep harping on where those players were drafted.

Moved on to what. What has happened to make my opinion change.

Back
Top Bottom