Ja'wuan James vs Brandin Cooks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ja'wuan James vs Brandin Cooks

Who would you have drafted?

• Total voters

finomenal

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Although I understand why they took James where they took him, I generally don't like the idea of drafting a tackle in the first round when it's been proven you can get your tackle later. I'm a big believer of picking up skill players in the first round whenever possible. Elite talent at the skill positions are more of a rarity than linemen.

I don't watch college football, so I'm only going off of the reports I've read on these two players. Based on that, Brandin Cooks sounded very intriguing to me. He doesn't seem to project to be a #1, but who cares? You pay a premium for speed (4.3). Having him on the field alone along with Wallace would have potentially made this offense very scary. His combine numbers suggest that he's your protypical "Percy Harvin" type WR who can line up all over the field.

Who would you have taken between these two players?

He was the prize that teams wanted to trade up for, the targeted player when we passed up a 3rd to trade down from #19. Maybe Manziel was in play as well for the #19 pick, but from what I read Brooks was the main target. Part of me still thinks that we should have taken him, and I firmly believe that we should have taken the 3rd and slid down since James was the target.

I prefer James over Cook, and Landry over any tackle we could have gotten in the second

neither player. James is nothing special just another guy and trading out of that pick was best option

After last year, I'd have been fine with drafting 327 O-linemen.

I'm cool with how it worked out. :up:

After last year, I'd have been fine with drafting 327 O-linemen.

I'm cool with how it worked out. :up:

people act like we havent drafted linemen.
1st overall
15th overall
77th overall
42nd overall
73rd overall
110th overall

all since 2008

James is nothing special just another guy and trading out of that pick was best option

So the professionals that work for the Dolphins organization are flat out wrong regarding their opinion of James and you're right. Sell me on why.

So the professionals that work for the Dolphins organization are flat out wrong regarding their opinion of James and you're right. Sell me on why.[/Q

If im not mistaken professionals drafted eric kumerow,john bosa, pat white, chad henne, phillip merling, john avery, john beck, eddie blake, yatill green,
Lional gates, patrick turner, michael egnew, john jerry,and so on .

I think every team hires professionals for this task

James....RT was the biggest hole, James was the best player at the position available and a 1st round talent.

Elite talent at the skill positions are more of a rarity than linemen.

This is simply not true. If it was we wouldn't see tackles popping off the board in the top ten picks like we have the last few years while people generally have waited until later in the first round to start grabbing WR's and CB's. Out of the first 15 picks over the last 3 drafts (45 total picks) 44% (20 total) of those picks have been either offensive or defensive lineman. You can argue the merits of whether James as an individual player is worthy of being picked where he was, but the NFL doesn't agree with you that linemen are so easy to find later in the draft.

Also your poll should read either Brandin Cooks and a tackle later or Ju'wuan james and Jarvis Landry later. The opportunity cost of not taking Cooks and a tackle later has a higher value the only Ju'wuan James.

James....RT was the biggest hole, James was the best player at the position available and a 1st round talent.

Four of the Ravens' first eight picks were compensatory selections that couldn't be traded, making it difficult to maneuver. It was an elusive pursuit for the Ravens, who acknowledged before the draft that right tackle was one of their greatest needs.

"You are correct," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "The way the board was stacked, you could see that three or four went right away at the top of the first round. So, it wasn't stacked very well in that case. We were not going to just reach down and just take a player at the tackle position."

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...12-20140511,0,6317789.story#ixzz32RqjQtg6Four of the Ravens' first eight picks were compensatory selections that couldn't be traded, making it difficult to maneuver. It was an elusive pursuit for the Ravens, who acknowledged before the draft that right tackle was one of their greatest needs.
"You are correct," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "The way the board was stacked, you could see that three or four went right away at the top of the first round. So, it wasn't stacked very well in that case. We were not going to just reach down and just take a player at the tackle position."

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...t-0512-20140511,0,6317789.story#ixzz32RqjQtg6

Four of the Ravens' first eight picks were compensatory selections that couldn't be traded, making it difficult to maneuver. It was an elusive pursuit for the Ravens, who acknowledged before the draft that right tackle was one of their greatest needs.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...12-20140511,0,6317789.story#ixzz32RqjQtg6Four of the Ravens' first eight picks were compensatory selections that couldn't be traded, making it difficult to maneuver. It was an elusive pursuit for the Ravens, who acknowledged before the draft that right tackle was one of their greatest needs.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...t-0512-20140511,0,6317789.story#ixzz32RqjQtg6

Of course Ozzie could be wrong on James too. As for the Ravens acknowledging that they needed a RT, they needed one so bad they didn't take one with any of their 9 picks in the draft. It certainly wasn't a desperate need. You have to look at the context in which Newsome was speaking. He was defending his pick of CJ Mosely over a perceived need. For all we know had Moseley not been on the board James would have been their pick. He goes BPA period. The Dolphins didn't have the option of taking CJ Mosely over Ju'wuan James, so we will never know if the Fins would have done the same thing the Ravens did if given the opportunity.

While I'm a huge fan of Cooks, I don't think Miami gets the same level of lineman as Landry. So IMHO James+Landry is a better move than Cooks+whichever OL is at the Landry pick. To be fair I was surprised Landry lasted so long. He's one of those guys you tend to overlook, but hate to play against him. Always open, always making plays, no errors, blocking downfield, I hate that guy unless he's a Dolphin.

Back
Top Bottom