Jets get Gholston! | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jets get Gholston!

Plenty of players should have gone in ahead of Peters including Ferguson.
D'Brickashaw Ferguson played better then Peters, but is in no way a Pro Bowl LT. You could make the case for Clady from Denver going to the Pro Bowl, but Ferguson?

Jake Long had every right to go to the Pro Bowl as he is one of the elite left tackles in the game. The nice thing is that he is only going to get better.

Plenty of players should have gone in ahead of Peters including Ferguson.

your probably right .. but it should have never been Peters.. The only person i would have accepted ahead of jake was Ryan Clady thats it!!! So in reality he should of made the probowl the first time because theres no way in hell Peters should of even sniffed the probowl....

D'Brickashaw Ferguson played better then Peters, but is in no way a Pro Bowl LT. You could make the case for Clady from Denver going to the Pro Bowl, but Ferguson?

Jake Long had every right to go to the Pro Bowl as he is one of the elite left tackles in the game. The nice thing is that he is only going to get better.

I think elite is stretching it, I think his draft status played a major role in being an alterante. He was good but I wouldn't call him elite based on his rookie year. As long as he continues to improve I'd expect he'll be elite but Joe Thomas had that look after '07 and he took a step back in '08.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Gholston can do this year under Rex Ryan.

As am I.Gholston wasn't drafted to start,but some here don't let that fact get in the way of their BS.Thomas and Pace were our starters from the beginning,and Mangini's "read and react" two gap system was too complicated for a rookie who was switching positions to master in the short time he was in camp(reported late because Ohio State graduates later than anyone else).

I like threads like this when it's slow.

Nubs had the ***** to post his accurate comments just after the draft.:thanks:

As am I.Gholston wasn't drafted to start,but some here don't let that fact get in the way of their BS.Thomas and Pace were our starters from the beginning,and Mangini's "read and react" two gap system was too complicated for a rookie who was switching positions to master in the short time he was in camp(reported late because Ohio State graduates later than anyone else).

Gholston wasn't drafted to start last year BUT he was supposd to at least contribute and push for a starting job this year. I didn't expect alot out of him as a rookie but I did expect something and he gave us absolutely nothing. This will be a criticial year for him.

Gholston wasn't drafted to start last year BUT he was supposd to at least contribute and push for a starting job this year. I didn't expect alot out of him as a rookie but I did expect something and he gave us absolutely nothing. This will be a criticial year for him.

That could be the dumbest thing I've ever heard, you dont draft developmental players in the top 10 of the draft. He is what he is, a flat out bust. There is no coaching method that teaches heart or disire.

That could be the dumbest thing I've ever heard, you dont draft developmental players in the top 10 of the draft. He is what he is, a flat out bust. There is no coaching method that teaches heart or disire.

You don't? How long have you followed the NFL? We had 2 starters at OLB that we just gave both big contracts. Gholston was changing positions and was viewed more as a raw player in need of development. He was NOT drafted to start last year.

You don't? How long have you followed the NFL? We had 2 starters at OLB that we just gave both big contracts. Gholston was changing positions and was viewed more as a raw player in need of development. He was NOT drafted to start last year.

Sorry but there isn't a GM this side of Matt Millen that drafts a player in the top ten thinking maybe in two or three years he'll be able to play. Your just kidding yourself thinking that way. Also your argument that he was learning a new system doesn't fly either, the Jets played 43% of all their defensive snaps this year from a traditional 4-3 set, and still the combine freak couldn't make an impact. I should be asking you how long you've been following the NFL.:lol:

Sorry but there isn't a GM this side of Matt Millen that drafts a player in the top ten thinking maybe in two or three years he'll be able to play. Your just kidding yourself thinking that way. Also your argument that he was learning a new system doesn't fly either, the Jets played 43% of all their defensive snaps this year from a traditional 4-3 set, and still the combine freak couldn't make an impact. I should be asking you how long you've been following the NFL.:lol:

Wher do you get your info from w/ the 43%? Are you breaking down film? I watched every play, have every play on tape and there's no way they played a 4-3 43% of the time.

PAY ATTENTION to what I write, I never said they drafted him in hopes that 2-3 years down the road he'd be able to play. I said he wasn't drafted to start right away, the expectations were low but he didn't meet them. He was expected to be a situational pass rusher as a rookie, he failed at that but he was never drafted to start right away- not after they just signed Pace and had signed Thomas to an extension the year before. I'm sure they would have been pleased had he pushed Thomas but he wasn't expected to start.

Vernon Gholston was not drafted to start in year 1. Sorry but those are just the facts. The Jets paid Bryan Thomas a lot of money after 2006 and gave Pace a lot of money going into last season to be the starting OLB's with Harris and Barton in the middle.

Now with that said of course Gholston was supposed to get on the field and push (primarily Thomas) for the starting job. But many believed that in year 1 he would be a situational player. He struggled learning the system and didnt get on the field much.

Vernon Gholston was not drafted to start in year 1. Sorry but those are just the facts. The Jets paid Bryan Thomas a lot of money after 2006 and gave Pace a lot of money going into last season to be the starting OLB's with Harris and Barton in the middle.

I would have to disagree you don't draft any position in the top 10 and pay mega million dollar deals to someone who you hope will develop when their contract expires with your team.

I would have to disagree you don't draft any position in the top 10 and pay mega million dollar deals to someone who you hope will develop when their contract expires with your team.

Huh? Nobody said they are hoping he is fully developed by the time his contract expires with the team.

Just that he wasnt going to start the first season. Hopefully he would win the job from Thomas in year 2.

Back
Top Bottom