Jimmy Johnson on F/A | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jimmy Johnson on F/A

Can't really say they didn't try. But both sides need to be receptive ala Williams and wilkins
They were receptive, but offers weren't good enough. As you get closer to FA, you are going to want more and more, and that's where they are with core FAs.

It's good they didn't get it done with Williams, but not with others.

Yeah he made a trade which gave up a draft pick. This is factored into the equation.
Correct but it still doesn't change the fact that Grier hasn't done very well at drafting quality players with the picks he has had over the last few years.

Nope: rule 1 - get under cap. Not one NFL team always keeps all it's good players
I agree. But Miami wouldn't be in this predicament if Grier had not signed Armstead and traded for Chubb, paying both huge sums of money. Miami is going to potentially lose out on their own players. Guys who deserve to get paid in Wilkins, Hunt and AVG.

Correct but it still doesn't change the fact that Grier hasn't done very well at drafting quality players with the picks he has had over the last few years.
It's like saying I am trading my cake for pie but the pie doesn't count in the desert selection. Doesn't work that way.

2020 I am not even going into this draft since half the current team is starting because of it (7 current players)
2021 he went Waddle, Phillips, Holland + three other current players
2022 is where Hill comes into play and Chubb (Ez-E and Goode are solid backups, Tindall looks like a wiff).
2023 Cam Smith and Achane (Smith is by far not a bust at this point, dude has played one season and Achane looks the part. Higgins was drafted as a WR/TE they rarely contribute in year 1).

:shrug:

They were receptive, but offers weren't good enough. As you get closer to FA, you are going to want more and more, and that's where they are with core FAs.

It's good they didn't get it done with Williams, but not with others.

Riiight.

But the point is.... they tries.

They didn't just wait till FA.

Riiight.

But the point is.... they tries.

They didn't just wait till FA.
They tried, but you need to extend guys earlier. That's when you can get discounts. As you get closer to FA, the sides drift further apart, and the players want FA.

So like I said, that ship has sailed.

They tried, but you need to extend guys earlier. That's when you can get discounts. As you get closer, the sides drift further apart, and the players want FA.

Yeah, agreed here.

I was on here last off season saying we should extend Tua then. If he plays great it will cost a lot more.

Probably could have got him under 50 at that time. Ain't happening now IMO especially playing an injury free season.

But overall, I absolutely agree on extending then sooner rather then later.

But from a business perspective it makes sense to delay the cap hit as long as they can. Especially when you have a team you believe is good enough to win

I understand why it won't happen. But I'd be looking at guys like Holland and Waddle now, rather then next year.

Who knows, well see.

A third and Hunter Long for Ramsay isn’t what I would call an “ass load” lol
3 year 55 million dollars to another FA because we didn't fulfil it in the draft is what I am talking about "LOL". That is also another bust at TE and a 3rd round pick on top of the money. So that is technically 2 third round picks and a lot of money paid to another high priced FA, kind of proves my point.

3 year 55 million dollars to another FA because we didn't fulfil it in the draft is what I am talking about "LOL". That is also another bust at TE and a 3rd round pick on top of the money. So that is technically 2 third round picks and a lot of money paid to another high priced FA, kind of proves my point.

No way they would have gotten a player like Ramsey in the draft for less than a high 1st round pick which we did not have

I thought it was a great trade and he might have been all pro if he had not missed all those games to start the season

So I will say there are a lot of fair criticisms about Grier, but the fact that we are facing these decisions is a sign that he has drafted relatively well as of late.
agree and disagree. Maybe we can't pay our homegrown guys because we've already spent on FAs.

No way they would have gotten a player like Ramsey in the draft for less than a high 1st round pick which we did not have

I thought it was a great trade and he might have been all pro if he had not missed all those games to start the season
You are right, because of who is drafting. It might have been a good trade if he put us over the top, he didn't. We are not in good cap shape because of these exact moves that are supposed to put us over the top, but never do because of the team as a whole. We now find ourselves in pretty bad cap shape, and only 6 draft picks available as we speak....a first and second, and a 5th, 2 6ths, and a 7th. This is on top of the fact that we have 29 free agents from last years team.

You are right, because of who is drafting. It might have been a good trade if he put us over the top, he didn't. We are not in good cap shape because of these exact moves that are supposed to put us over the top, but never do because of the team as a whole. We now find ourselves in pretty bad cap shape, and only 6 draft picks available as we speak....a first and second, and a 5th, 2 6ths, and a 7th. This is on top of the fact that we have 29 free agents from last years team.

Yes the trade like this one and Chubb were meant to put us over the top and didn't but we also were one play against Tenn from the 2nd seed and a home playoff game
They took a shot and it almost worked so let's see how they handle the cap stuff and the FA stuff and then go from there

You have to keep your own home-grown guys by extending them BEFORE they are in line to get a big payday. If they are good, you don't let other teams get a chance at them.

Back
Top Bottom