JRS/Hard Rock Stadium Renovations, Phase II.... | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

JRS/Hard Rock Stadium Renovations, Phase II....

TBH I don't mind the current location but you are right the Sunrise West area would really be the one area for a new stadium. That's why I think that Beckham will fail with his hardon for a Miami Downtown/near Downtown stadium. He is already eliminating a huge soccer population of Europeans and South Americans in Broward and Palm Beach County.

So do you think Beckham would be better off trying for that central tri-county area, instead of Miami? Given all the delays with the soccer stadium deal, he should look at it as an option. Then again he was in Vegas recently, so with Miami's luck he's getting ready to pull out entirely after his stadium location has been rejected and delayed for what is it now, the fourth time?

Anyways, the new Joe Robbie roof and corner jumbotrons look amazing.

Here is what I don't understand. Wouldn't it be more efficient to have a crew on the north end of the stadium mirroring the work of the crew on the south end and then each crew work east and west? Seems to me they could cut the project time in half by having the crews work each side of the stadium at the same time. Especially since the project mirrors each other at each end. Just seems beyond logical from my standpoint. Probably would have saved them a lot of money on going over budget as well.

In the meantime the frame for the jumbotron on the NE side is done and you can see the middle piece on the south end is about to go into place.

Stadium_Renovation_Contruction_Cam_May_31_2016_11_00am.jpg

Here is what I don't understand. Wouldn't it be more efficient to have a crew on the north end of the stadium mirroring the work of the crew on the south end and then each crew work east and west? Seems to me they could cut the project time in half by having the crews work each side of the stadium at the same time. Especially since the project mirrors each other at each end. Just seems beyond logical from my standpoint. Probably would have saved them a lot of money on going over budget as well.

In the meantime the frame for the jumbotron on the NE side is done and you can see the middle piece on the south end is about to go into place.

View attachment 16763

Wouldn't hiring another crew put them even further over budget? It looks to me like they are on schedule to have it completed.

I think it would be cheaper to have an expanded crew working normal hours than a skeleton crew working overtime and extended hours.

Honestly, they should of built it near the Panthers arena out near the Sawgrass Mills mall. Easy Highway access with 75 going to Miami/Naples, 595 taking people to I95 and the Sawgrass taking people to the northern Broward up to the Turnpike which gets them to West Palm and North.

Unlike the current area, the Sawgrass offers the worlds largest outlet mall and largest single floor mall . . .plenty of eating and shopping options and I have no doubt they could of even of added an NFL experience option of some sort to coincide with the stadium.

Closer to Dolphins headquarters and just a much nicer area than where the stadium is.

Getting space out there would of been a much easier task than seeking out an option anywhere near downtown Miami, cheaper as well.

The only drawback is the stadium would no longer be in Miami-Dade, but still much less than the distance from the new 49ers stadium is from the city of San Francisco.

Really believe this was a missed opportunity, but then again Ross owns the land, what the hell else you gonna build in the middle of nowhere where the stadium currently resides (Huge Water park)
The current location next to the Turnpike is near perfect. It attracts a lot of West Palm Beach residents as well as Miami, Ft Lauderdale, etc. With the $500M spent upgrading the stadium we will have a great facility in a great location and owned by the team owner - something many other teams don't have (cough San Diego, cough Oakland, cough Buffalo, cough Washington, etc). Just being close to the Sawgrass Outlets Mall and a "nicer area" seems pretty obtuse reasons for moving but some people are very hard to please. I have said it before and I say it again, we should take great pride that our owner has forked out $500M from his own pocket in upgrading the facility and not forcing the taxpayers to fund his development. The Spanos episode in San Diego and the Mark Davis episode in Oakland/LA/Las Vegas must be crushing for the local fans to endure.

The current location next to the Turnpike is near perfect. It attracts a lot of West Palm Beach residents as well as Miami, Ft Lauderdale, etc. With the $500M spent upgrading the stadium we will have a great facility in a great location and owned by the team owner - something many other teams don't have (cough San Diego, cough Oakland, cough Buffalo, cough Washington, etc). Just being close to the Sawgrass Outlets Mall and a "nicer area" seems pretty obtuse reasons for moving but some people are very hard to please. I have said it before and I say it again, we should take great pride that our owner has forked out $500M from his own pocket in upgrading the facility and not forcing the taxpayers to fund his development. The Spanos episode in San Diego and the Mark Davis episode in Oakland/LA/Las Vegas must be crushing for the local fans to endure.

I think the location is only "near perfect" from a commute standpoint only. It is in arguably the worst area in South Florida with absolutely no attraction for anybody to stick around to do anything after the game. These new stadiums are being built in the heart of the downtown where people can have options after the game for dinner, drinks, shopping, lodging, etc. i get it, we are Dolfans and should only be concerned about what goes on for those three hours inside the stadium . . . But if Ross really wanted to keep up wih making gameday an "experience" for the average fan, he really could of built something special out near the Sawgrass . . . With transportation access that is just as convenient as the current location. Hell even better for the fans on the West Coast.

I also worry about just "how effective" this renovation will be in comparison to building something from the ground up. We dumped 300 million into a renovation in 2006 and that thing was largely inneffective. I am hopeful that this will indeed be a much more effective reno.

This is not to knock his intention at all, and I completely understand the potential hurdles involved with what this town has been .through with stadium deals. I am just saying spending 500 million of your own money you could of really opened your scope up to other options, IMO much better options to pitch your grand scheme of having your own football town instead of a drive and bye 8 weeks out the year.

Its not my money, so ultimately I am very happy with his commitment and he certainly is a top owner when it comes to doing whatever he can financially to make this a great football product.

I think the location is only "near perfect" from a commute standpoint only. It is in arguably the worst area in South Florida with absolutely no attraction for anybody to stick around to do anything after the game. These new stadiums are being built in the heart of the downtown where people can have options after the game for dinner, drinks, shopping, lodging, etc. i get it, we are Dolfans and should only be concerned about what goes on for those three hours inside the stadium . . . But if Ross really wanted to keep up wih making gameday an "experience" for the average fan, he really could of built something special out near the Sawgrass . . . With transportation access that is just as convenient as the current location. Hell even better for the fans on the West Coast.

I also worry about just "how effective" this renovation will be in comparison to building something from the ground up. We dumped 300 million into a renovation in 2006 and that thing was largely inneffective. I am hopeful that this will indeed be a much more effective reno.

This is not to knock his intention at all, and I completely understand the potential hurdles involved with what this town has been .through with stadium deals. I am just saying spending 500 million of your own money you could of really opened your scope up to other options, IMO much better options to pitch your grand scheme of having your own football town instead of a drive and bye 8 weeks out the year.

Its not my money, so ultimately I am very happy with his commitment and he certainly is a top owner when it comes to doing whatever he can financially to make this a great football product.

I don't know when exactly but Miami Gardens was incorporated in the last 10 years or so. I know that Miami Gardens has a plan to develop the surrounding area with hotels, bars, restaurants etc. Before that the stadium was actually in Dade County/Miami Dade County and the county gave a hoot about the surrounding area.

I think one of the problems is that they have to buy out a lot of residences and rezone it. To the north you have a canal, to the east you have the Turnpike. Leaves you with the south area (199th) and west (27th). Everything inside 199th/27th/Turnpike/Canal is all stadium property and nothing left for the city to build on. They have to find a developer who is willing to buy out several hundred of homes or the city has to invest and clear the area first.

It will be interesting though to see what it looks like once the parking area is redone. One would assume that with the reduction of 10,000 seats the required parking area could be a little smaller which could open up a new area.

The renovation in 2006 was mostly for the club level area (south and north side) and by extension the upper level and lower level got more concession as well. It was definitely needed in the upper level. Oh yeah and we got new scoreboards in 2006.

The stadium is not a bad stadium. The only ones who always complain are out-of-town Dolphins fans or people who hardly go. It is an extremely compact stadium. Most fans of other teams compliment us. Most were always surprised that the stadium had a 75,000-seat capacity. If you go into another stadium with similar capacity you definitely need binoculars if you are sitting way up in the nose bleed sections. At JRS there is not one bad seat to be found.

View attachment 16763
Many factors to take into account. However, the cost of the heavy equipment like the cranes is significant and there is a need to optimize their use. There are a huge number (like 12) working at the site. The Dolphin stadium is a massive project condensed into a short time frame. Stephen Ross is the biggest developer in NYC (yes even bigger than a shy anonymous Presidential candidate) and he has the best project managers in the business. If any of the new or renovated stadiums was to be well managed, you can bet on Ross' stadium. They would have evaluated all of the options and got the best answer from a timing and cost perspective. However, the costs have gone from a projected $450M to now estimated at over $500M. In contrast, I understand that there have been big problems with the Atlanta stadium construction and the costs have blown out very significantly.

Preseason game 3 v the Falcons now in Orlando....

[TWEET]738080070665916417[/TWEET]

NFL trying to sell it as part of the probowl deal :err:

[TWEET]738081114259087360[/TWEET]

I mean the stadium could be delayed, but I really do believe this has to do with the Pro Bowl deal. Plenty of stadium options closer than Orlando if there was a legit delay.

No matter how they try to spin it (national tv game, promote Pro Bowl, etc) the fact is this game was moved "just in case" the stadium is delayed by a week or 2.

Next week South Florida is likely to be under a huge deluge of tropical rainfall, with thunderstorms and flooding possible. A tropical wave is over Venezuela currently and the bulk of the rainy activity from this event will come from that. There is a small chance that the area may develop into a weak tropical system, similar to Bonnie that impacted Georgia, the Carolinas and the mid-Atlantic over the Memorial Day Weekend.

In January and February, South Florida was under similar rainy deluges that halted construction at JRS. If this tropical system materializes, then construction can certainly be halted once more for a few days or more.

The weather is an extremely unpredictable wild card once hurricane season begins.

VK6Iw77.png

yLkMd7f.gif

7-day 'Quantitative Precipitation Forecast' by the Weather Prediction Center (as of late Wednesday night) shows 3-4 inches of rain over all of South Florida, with more heavy rain likely beyond the 7-day period.

Can't say I'm surprised. Hopefully it doesn't affect things drastically.

Dolphins about to raise the roof on stadium renovation project

Probably the two-most-common questions the Dolphins get, regarding their stadium renovation project, are these:

1. What the heck is taking so long?
And 2. How is it possibly going to be done in three months?
And quick answer for No. 1:
On Friday, some of the roughly 400 on-site workers will lift and then, inch-by-inch, move a 480-ton queen truss into the northwest end zone. And that’s just one of more than 100 intricate steps it takes to put a new roof on a 30-year-old building.
As for No. 2?
The hard part, after Friday’s lift, will be mostly done.

38207531.jpg

“We’re through, hopefully, some of the more complex part of the projects — the corners, getting all the steel that’s constructed off-site here,” said Dolphins CEO Tom Garfinkel. “In the world of things that could go wrong, we’re through a lot of that and we’re still on schedule. As we get closer and closer, hopefully we get more and more certain — unless things change.”
That’s always the caveat with a project this size. But despite some skepticism among its fan base, it’s been so far, so good in the biggest South Florida stadium project since Marlins Park.
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article81464217.html#storylink=cpy

Back
Top Bottom