Kirk Herbstreit Top Conferences | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kirk Herbstreit Top Conferences

Why does the PAC 10 need a conference title game when the entire conference plays each other?

And why am I defending a conference full of teams I hate :err:

lol, ACC is not better than the Big Ten.

Oh FSU ALMOST beat Penn State 2 years ago, so that makes the conference better. What was I thinking? :shakeno:

No way the ACC is better than the Big 10 right now, but in a few years they certainly could be. Last year was awful for FSU and the U, but give them a few years to get back to the elite ranks and they're as good, if not better, than any team OSU or Michigan can produce. Michigan State sucked last year, and lost their QB, Purdue, Minnesota, are kinda bubble teams. I think Minnesota will be very good next year. Illinois are getting stacked...I'd love to see a full on ACC vs Big 10 play off, because I think it'd be pretty even, provided Miami, FSU, and VT are not having awful years.

There defense is young and good, they showed that last year and I dont think they lost any key players on either side of the ball. They were all young last year and now have experience to take the next step. It isnt they have young talent and could be good in the future (that was last year). Where Missouri is at and UCLA isnt similar at all. Niether of those teams you mentioned is expected to be as good as UCLA, you just didnt pay enough attention to them last year, but it's UCLA why would anyone want to pay attention to them ;)

And what puts the Pac-10 ahead of the Big XII to me is that USC is better than any team in the Big XII.

Ill agree with ya on that USC is better than OU/Texas making them better than the Big XII. And also I really didnt care about Southern Californian football last year to be honest :D

The Mizzou comment I madeI still stand by. Chase Daniel is a year older in the system and already looks alot more consistent than that one year wonder Brad Smith in their weird spread offense. I think Mizzou could surprise some people honestly, they have all their tough North games at home in Nebraska and K-State (who lets not forget mopped the floor with Texas) so they could make it to the Big XII CC game. After that anything can happen (see 2003 Big XII CCgame :()

Nebraska has a great O-line, alot of play makers at Wide Reciever, and some talented young runningbacks. They also have a great QB in Sam Kellar, who will run Nebraska's west coast offense MUCH better than Zac Taylor ever did. They are also the only team who stopped our running game, I think we had about 52 yards rushing in that game, but Malcolm Kelly burned them for 200 yards through the air.

All im trying to say is, you could put it either way which conference is better in the Pac-10 or the Big XII. The problem I have is the whole 'assumed truth' that the Big XII is only a 2 team conference. I know the Pac-10 isnt either. I mean if you wanna go by bowl games last year, the Big XII were mediocre to OK. Texas Tech came back from 30030300 points to beat Minnesota (Big 10) Nebraska lost to Auburn, a team who many thought had a chance at the national championship early in the season. While the rest just embarrased the conference (Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M)

Again, just trying to share my opinion, not trying to start an argument with ya Don :)

lol, ACC is not better than the Big Ten.

Oh FSU ALMOST beat Penn State 2 years ago, so that makes the conference better. What was I thinking? :shakeno:

Was Penn State the best team in the Big 10 at the end of the year?
You don't know! Why because they don't play a title game in the Big 10.
In my opinion Ohio State was the best team that year, but lost to a Penn State team in College Park.
What happens in the OSU vs PSU game on neutral site?

My point was even though FSU had a bad year they still ended up in the title game and beat the supposed best ACC Team based on record 2 years ago.

Then they give the supposed best team in the Big 10 a very tough game.

The whole point of my post was I am not putting a conference that doesn't have a title game ahead of conference's that do.

Was Penn State the best team in the Big 10 at the end of the year?
You don't know! Why because they don't play a title game in the Big 10.
In my opinion Ohio State was the best team that year, but lost to a Penn State team in College Park.
What happens in the OSU vs PSU game on neutral site?

My point was even though FSU had a bad year they still ended up in the title game and beat the supposed best ACC Team based on record 2 years ago.

Then they give the supposed best team in the Big 10 a very tough game.

The whole point of my post was I am not putting a conference that doesn't have a title game ahead of conference's that do.

That has nothing to do with the overall Conference strength. The Big Ten was clearly better than the ACC last year, which is the best measuring stick as of now. OSU, Michigan, and Wisconsin were all in major bowls, outcome aside. Everyone knows the ACC had a down year and could easily bounce back this year but judging from last year the Big Ten was clearly better.

That has nothing to do with the overall Conference strength. The Big Ten was clearly better than the ACC last year, which is the best measuring stick as of now. OSU, Michigan, and Wisconsin were all in major bowls, outcome aside. Everyone knows the ACC had a down year and could easily bounce back this year but judging from last year the Big Ten was clearly better.

I based my ranking off of title games, because that's what makes your conference that much tougher to come out of.

Can you tell me who won the OSU vs Wisconsin game last year?

I based my ranking off of title games, because that's what makes your conference that much tougher to come out of.

I don't see the logic in that at all. The whole conference title game thing is all about money. How can you compare conferences based on their title game?? That makes no sense. How does that measure them against other conferences?

OSU and Wisconsin didn't play last year if thats the answer your looking for.

I don't see the logic in that at all. The whole conference title game thing is all about money. How can you compare conferences based on their title game?? That makes no sense. How does that measure them against other conferences?

OSU and Wisconsin didn't play last year if thats the answer your looking for.

I am not disagreeing that the top 3 teams in the Big 10 are better than the top 3 teams in the ACC. But after that it is a toss up. Maryland easily defeated Purdue in there only head to head Bowl game. I think people based there ranking on end of year records and bowl appearance's. Bowl appearance's change when you add one more loss onto your record.

In my opinion the Big 10 for the past few years only has a good conference ranking because of OSU and Michigan. The last 2 years you could add in Wisconsin and PSU. There is nobody else in the conference that performs consistant year to year. If Iowa and MSU have a good year the conference is rock solid.

I am not disagreeing that the top 3 teams in the Big 10 are better than the top 3 teams in the ACC. But after that it is a toss up. Maryland easily defeated Purdue in there only head to head Bowl game. I think people based there ranking on end of year records and bowl appearance's. Bowl appearance's change when you add one more loss onto your record.

In my opinion the Big 10 for the past few years only has a good conference ranking because of OSU and Michigan. The last 2 years you could add in Wisconsin and PSU. There is nobody else in the conference that performs consistant year to year. If Iowa and MSU have a good year the conference is rock solid.

I would agree, and I'd also say that the exact same could be applied to the ACC.

That's just silly. How would you react to this statement: I base my rankings off of bowl results. Since the Big East sent 5 of the 8 teams to bowl games and was a perfect 5-0 in those bowl games then they must be the best conference in all the land.:rolleyes2

C'mon now, if a conference does not have a title game then it is automatically second tier? Are you sure that you want to stand by that?

That's just silly. How would you react to this statement: I base my rankings off of bowl results. Since the Big East sent 5 of the 8 teams to bowl games and was a perfect 5-0 in those bowl games then they must be the best conference in all the land.:rolleyes2

C'mon now, if a conference does not have a title game then it is automatically second tier? Are you sure that you want to stand by that?

Glad I'm not alone there. I was starting to wonder. :lol:

I don't base my ranking's off of Bowl apearance's. I based them off of a conference having a title game. In my opinion your beloved WVU should have been in the Orange Bowl, because they were probably the best team in the Big East, but because they slipped up one week they weren't given that opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom