Kirk Herbstreit Top Conferences | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kirk Herbstreit Top Conferences

Glad I'm not alone there. I was starting to wonder. :lol:

Ok... I keep reading this thread and biting my tongue... Motion, you know you can't reason with a Nole fan! :wink:

Sorry Just HAD to say it!

I don't base my ranking's off of Bowl apearance's. I based them off of a conference having a title game. In my opinion your beloved WVU should have been in the Orange Bowl, because they were probably the best team in the Big East, but because they slipped up one week they weren't given that opportunity.

Conference USA has a title game so does that make them better than the Big 10? If you base them off title games only ( which is completely ridiculous) you'd have to think Conference USA or the Mid-American Conference is better.

Conference USA has a title game so does that make them better than the Big 10? If you base them off title games only ( which is completely ridiculous) you'd have to think Conference USA or the Mid-American Conference is better.

LOL, guess he did not have an answer to this one, Don! :wink: :sidelol:

I think that because this site is a Florida based site you're going to get a lot of SEC bias.
Sure, they were ahead of the Big 10 this year--but the two conferences are pretty even IMO.

Look at how they did in their bowl games. (Notable teams from both conferences)

UF vs. OSU - SEC Won
Ark vs. Wisco - Big 10
Michigan lost
Auburn lost
Tenn vs. Penn State - Big 10

If you look at these stats--they tell you a lot. I think the biggest stat here is the Tenn/Penn State game. Penn State was unranked, they lost 4 games during the season--ALL TO TOP 10 RANKED TEAMS. (OSU, MICHIGAN, WISCO, NOTRE DAME). They went to a bowl game and beat the #17 ranked Tennessee.

I really think that this speaks volume to both conferences.

I think that because this site is a Florida based site you're going to get a lot of SEC bias.
Sure, they were ahead of the Big 10 this year--but the two conferences are pretty even IMO.

Of course you do, your a Buckeye fan. :lol:

Actually, the site is Miami based so the majority are Canes fans.

I don't think Bowl results are a good indicator of how conferences compare. Top to bottom, the Big Ten and SEC are far from even IMO.

GinnFinFan, I'm a PSU fan, and I think it's clear the best ball is played in the SEC. Big Ten is second, but I don't think it is nearly as close as you're suggesting. Penn State was like the 4th best Big 10 team last year, but I don't think Tennessee was 4th in SEC. I was honestly ecstatic that PSU didn't have to play a bowl against Auburn again.

Wow I am really sorry to burst your bubble dude, But the SEC is better and its not even close. You guys are in a battle for 2nd. I really don't know how you think its even remotly close. I mean the big 10 did have two nice victories over the SEC, But I don't think that tells the story justice. Just look at the talent level in the SEC and its there even with some bottom teams.

The Bowl Season is a Great way to see how your conference is...a big OOC game--what better way is there really?

Tell me the talent level...it's in the Big 10's bottom teams as well. Anyone can make that arguement. I prefer stats....here are some for you other than standings. And remember that I did say the SEC was a little better this year, but year in year out...it's VERY close.

Off the top of my head, I would say that the Big 10 has more National Championships than the SEC. I know Alabama has quite a few--but Ohio State and Michigan have somethng like 18 between the two of them. (7-OSU/11-Michigan)?

2006 Awards - (Big 10/SEC)

BIG 10
Heismen - Big 10 - Ohio State
Walter Camp Award - Big 10 - Ohio State
Davey O'Brien Award - Big 10 - Ohio State
John Mackey Award - Big 10 - Minnesota
Bronko Nagurski Award - Big 10 - Ohio State
Chuck Bednarik Award - Big 10 Penn State
Outland Trophy - Big 10 - Wisconsin
Vince Lombardi/Rotary Award - Big 10 - Michigan
Ted Hendricks Award - Big 10 - Michigan

SEC
Doak Walker Award - SEC - Arkansas
Dick Butkus Award - SEC - Ole Miss

Actually, the site is Miami based so the majority are Canes fans.

Isn't Miami in Florida?? I may have to go check a map....

And my point wasn't to the extent of Florida--as in University of Florida. It was to the extent that Florida is SEC country--there for a vast majority of people on this site would say the SEC is the best based on sheer numbers.

If you were to go to an Ohio based site--IE Cleveland Browns--you would see a very different trend towards the Big 10. That's all I am saying.

The SEC is alot tougher than the Big 10 and there aren't alot of pancakes to get alot great stats againist. Its not even close when you actually look at how good the teams are from top to bottom. SEC is a war to win that conference and the Big 10 you may not even play the 2nd best team in your conference which means better chances of getting to the National title game. SEC teams have to try and get thru a killer schedule than at the top of that play in a championship game (Which the Big 10 does not have). The SEC recruits better than any other conference (Which is so far from being close its not even funny) and it shows on the field.

The Bowl Season is a Great way to see how your conference is...a big OOC game--what better way is there really?

Tell me the talent level...it's in the Big 10's bottom teams as well. Anyone can make that arguement. I prefer stats....here are some for you other than standings. And remember that I did say the SEC was a little better this year, but year in year out...it's VERY close.

Off the top of my head, I would say that the Big 10 has more National Championships than the SEC. I know Alabama has quite a few--but Ohio State and Michigan have somethng like 18 between the two of them. (7-OSU/11-Michigan)?

2006 Awards - (Big 10/SEC)

BIG 10
Heismen - Big 10 - Ohio State
Walter Camp Award - Big 10 - Ohio State
Davey O'Brien Award - Big 10 - Ohio State
John Mackey Award - Big 10 - Minnesota
Bronko Nagurski Award - Big 10 - Ohio State
Chuck Bednarik Award - Big 10 Penn State
Outland Trophy - Big 10 - Wisconsin
Vince Lombardi/Rotary Award - Big 10 - Michigan
Ted Hendricks Award - Big 10 - Michigan

SEC
Doak Walker Award - SEC - Arkansas
Dick Butkus Award - SEC - Ole Miss

Individual awards? Big deal.

If you prefer to use stats, the WAC is the best conference in college, and the MAC ain't too shabby.

Isn't Miami in Florida?? I may have to go check a map....

And my point wasn't to the extent of Florida--as in University of Florida. It was to the extent that Florida is SEC country--there for a vast majority of people on this site would say the SEC is the best based on sheer numbers.

If you were to go to an Ohio based site--IE Cleveland Browns--you would see a very different trend towards the Big 10. That's all I am saying.
South Fl is far from SEC country. I-4 is basically the Line of Demarcation, but in reverse. Everything south of I-4 is littered with transplants from the mid-west and north-east. If that half of the state (which just happens to be where this site's fan base is concentrated) pulls for a conference, it's the ACC. It is by no means an SEC or UF centric fan base. They hate UF far more than the twice humbled OSU faithful does.
You map won't tell you that, but it is a matter of fact.

How did all those OSU award winners fare against UF's talent? This isn't smack talk, but rather added perspective to just how much weight should be given to those individual awards when evaluating a conferences overall talent, and top team talent. Posts like that littered this board before the NC game. At this point there's zero doubt as to how irrelevant those points were.

Great post
South Fl is far from SEC country. I-4 is basically the Line of Demarcation, but in reverse. Everything south of I-4 is littered with transplants from the mid-west and north-east. If that half of the state (which just happens to be where this site's fan base is concentrated) pulls for a conference, it's the ACC. It is by no means an SEC or UF centric fan base. They hate UF far more than the twice humbled OSU faithful does.
You map won't tell you that, but it is a matter of fact.

How did all those OSU award winners fare against UF's talent? This isn't smack talk, but rather added perspective to just how much weight should be given to those individual awards when evaluating a conferences overall talent, and top team talent. Posts like that littered this board before the NC game. At this point there's zero doubt as to how irrelevant those points were.

Back
Top Bottom