Lakers Lakers Lakers | Page 21 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lakers Lakers Lakers

Most of Kupchak's reign has been terrible (i.e. Butler for Brown? Woof.), but the last couple years, he's been on a roll. The Bynum pick was inspired, especially in the face of opposition from Phil Jax and Kobe. He waited out Kobe's trade demand, and didn't panic. He got Trevor Ariza for nothing. He brought back Derek Fisher to help stabilize the point. Drafting Farmar looks like it's going to pay off. Most of all, he waited patiently for Bynum to develop, and for the price on Gasol to come down, never pulling the trigger on a panic deal (i.e. Bynum for Kidd, Bynum for J.O'Neal, etc.). Whatever it is, he's really done a fine job the last couple years, and you couldn't say that previously.

I know Jerry West has repeatedly denied the rumors that he's acting as consultant for the Lakers and Kupchak but ever since those rumors began, it seems like Kupchak has been making all the right moves and these moves feel like traditional West moves. Kupchak's been a solid drafter but he's never been able to pull off trades that don't hinder the team or look like total robberies with the Lakers as victims.

Gasol expected to start at center for Lakers Tuesday

Tuesday, Feb 5, 2008 7:51 am EST

It was a simple play in one of many practices this season, but the symbolism was much greater than that for the Los Angeles Lakers. Pau Gasol caught the ball in the post, gathered himself for a moment with his back to the basket, and fired off a short hook shot that arced through the hoop according to a report in the Los Angeles Times.

It had been a while since the Lakers had a post player who was a threat on offense — a little more than three weeks since Andrew Bynum's knee injury, to be exact — but there was Gasol in his first practice with his new team, reminding the Lakers why they traded for him. He make his first start for the Lakers Tuesday against the New Jersey Nets.

"He's got a lot of positions he can play, but he's long. Really long," Lakers Coach Phil Jackson said Monday. "That will be important for us to get the post part of our game back. Kobe [Bryant] has taken a lot of post position, Ronny [Turiaf] has done some good things in the post, but we haven't had any real dedicated post part of our game."

Cant wait

I am very interested in seeing this develop. Gotta think that the Spurs are now screwed. Only the Suns..and maybe Dallas can maybe..."MAYBE" run the lakers out of their double post set.

I still give the edge to the Spurs as the favorites in the West even with this trade, based on experience, and Tim Duncan.

Ugh. Kobe with a dislocated finger. X-rays after the game. He is playing through it but it just figures. We get a a huge piece for our puzzle and the biggest piece is injured in the first game with the new teammate...

Ugh. Kobe with a dislocated finger. X-rays after the game. He is playing through it but it just figures. We get a a huge piece for our puzzle and the biggest piece is injured in the first game with the new teammate...

We just can't get good luck in terms of injuries. But a solid showing by Gasol especially since he hasn't had much time to learn the triangle offense and get to know his teammates better.

spurs still match up well with lakers..tim duncan can d up bynum, and oberto can handle gasol taking those jumpers

Uhm...but the same is still true the other way. Bynum can defend Duncan and Gasol would hold his own on Oberto. Throw in Lamar and Kobe and the advantage goes to L.A. I am not even sure that San Antonio has a better bench even if you do consider Ginobli a bench player.

We just can't get good luck in terms of injuries. But a solid showing by Gasol especially since he hasn't had much time to learn the triangle offense and get to know his teammates better.

TREMENDOUS showing by Gasol when you consider all the factors. Being traded last friday, flying to L.A. for a physical on Saturday, flying cross country to D.C. for a Sunday shootaround and game. Then finally practicing for the first time with his teammates on Monday before STARTING against New Jersey Tuesday night.

The guy just did a cross country tour in a few days and still put up 24 and 12 on 66% shooting. Unbelievable. :kick:

Kudos to Fisher for stepping up with Kobe being hurt. The role players always seem to come through at the right times.

:lol: whatever you say

Perhaps you should watch some of his recent work right before he got injured. But its fine. I will just sit back and smile as the rest of the league gets put on notice and discovers what us Laker fans already know. :D

Back
Top Bottom