Landry almost got traded last year. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Landry almost got traded last year.

Really bizarre situation. They apparently shopped Landry rather aggressively around the draft, and then again at the trade deadline? I'm not really sure what the deal is here. I understand wanting to trade him at the draft, with the idea that you can go into the draft with a plan to replace him right away....

What I don't get is why the team didn't simply take the best offer on the table at the trade deadline, when it was clear that the Cutler experiment wasn't working, the team was dying in the water, negotiations with Landry were going nowhere, and the coach was extremely frustrated with him.

What the hell are they doing in Davie? Get value for your assets when you can. Get a 3rd round pick for Landry in the 2018 draft right now, instead of a compensatory pick AT THE END of the third round, in 2019, and only if you refuse to be players in free agency. Stupid, stupid, stupid. When the decision to trade Ajayi was made, the team should have pulled the cord on Landry, too. Your season's toast, so maximize value toward future seasons.

Stupid.

Stupid.

The Dolphins' decision-makers are stupid.

I cannot justify the trade of Ajayi and Landry at the same tome regardless of how the season was going. It was far from stupid to trade both popular players at the same time and a little overreaction from you.

People had a meltdown for the value we got for Ajayi. I can't even begin to fathom the outrage with a deal that nets a 3rd for Landry. Either way have no idea what picks were discussed.

At some point these nincompoops need to figure out that fans are going to have a melt down about everything, especially when the team is bad. Would have been a perfect opportunity to save a future meltdown by rolling it into the Ajayi explosion.

I cannot justify the trade of Ajayi and Landry at the same tome regardless of how the season was going. It was far from stupid to trade both popular players at the same time and a little overreaction from you.

I don't think I'm overreacting at all. I think this is a clear cut case of monumental buffoonery by people who are paid millions of dollars annually to run a multi-billion dollar asset and apparently couldn't find their own dicks if you spotted them two hands and a map.

I mean you just drafted Carroo and you have Juice coming up on a mega deal and you can probably recoup that late 2nd you spent in 2014? Any competent organization looks into all opportunities.

Same with Ajayi. Got back more than you spent and have a back waiting that better fits your offense.

It isn't always likeable but it won't matter if it leads to wins.

I of course want Jarvis back. Think his route running and ability to get separation is completely underrated around here and if the QB can place the ball effectively, Jarvis will break tackles and get you first downs like no other.

14 million is a lot for sure. Hopefully we get a deal done.

Really bizarre situation. They apparently shopped Landry rather aggressively around the draft, and then again at the trade deadline? I'm not really sure what the deal is here. I understand wanting to trade him at the draft, with the idea that you can go into the draft with a plan to replace him right away....

What I don't get is why the team didn't simply take the best offer on the table at the trade deadline, when it was clear that the Cutler experiment wasn't working, the team was dying in the water, negotiations with Landry were going nowhere, and the coach was extremely frustrated with him.

What the hell are they doing in Davie? Get value for your assets when you can. Get a 3rd round pick for Landry in the 2018 draft right now, instead of a compensatory pick AT THE END of the third round, in 2019, and only if you refuse to be players in free agency. Stupid, stupid, stupid. When the decision to trade Ajayi was made, the team should have pulled the cord on Landry, too. Your season's toast, so maximize value toward future seasons.

Stupid.

Stupid.

The Dolphins' decision-makers are stupid.

I don't agree with a team not doing everything they can legitimately do to win a game, bad season or otherwise.

The NFL has a replenishment system that adjusts selection position based on how well or poorly a team plays each season. The goal is to maintain a degree of parity within the league. It doesn't work as well as most people would like to see. This is due to the unpredictability of a drafted players development time or even total lack of success once they are in the NFL. Its like having an earier choice at selecting a "slice of a pie" of unknown flavor (ripe, not quite ripe or never to be ripe), when typically half the time you get a mouthful of "not ripe".

If you weaken yourself when in trouble in order to pick a "maybe better player" the next season, you are focusing on a player performance to save the team, instead of a team performance to save the players. I think this is a form of "fools gold".

Just my opinion.

I mean you just drafted Carroo and you have Juice coming up on a mega deal and you can probably recoup that late 2nd you spent in 2014? Any competent organization looks into all opportunities.

Same with Ajayi. Got back more than you spent and have a back waiting that better fits your offense.

It isn't always likeable but it won't matter if it leads to wins.

I of course want Jarvis back. Think his route running and ability to get separation is completely underrated around here and if the QB can place the ball effectively, Jarvis will break tackles and get you first downs like no other.

14 million is a lot for sure. Hopefully we get a deal done.

Mind reader.

I'm sure he has always been on the available for trade list, just like most players are for the right price.

We have nobody on our roster that is untouchable and for the most part every player should have a price

I don't agree with a team not doing everything they can legitimately do to win a game, bad season or otherwise.

The NFL has a replenishment system that adjusts selection position based on how well or poorly a team plays each season. The goal is to maintain a degree of parity within the league. It doesn't work as well as most people would like to see. This is due to the unpredictability of a drafted players development time or even total lack of success once they are in the NFL. Its like having an earier choice at selecting a "slice of a pie" of unknown flavor (ripe, not quite ripe or never to be ripe), when typically half the time you get a mouthful of "not ripe".

If you weaken yourself when in trouble in order to pick a "maybe better player" the next season, you are focusing on a player performance to save the team, instead of a team performance to save the players. I think this is a form of "fools gold".

Just my opinion.

It's not at all about picking up a better player than Jarvis Landry. It's about asset management. Consider:

- Miami and Jarvis Landry were far apart on contract figures.
- Miami's coaching staff was upset with Landry.
- Miami had already tried shopping Landry multiple times.
- If Miami lets Landry walk in free agency, the pick won't come in until 2019, and trying to get that pick will limit what the team can do in free agency.

So you have a player you're not entirely satisfied with, that you have already tried to trade multiple times, and that you don't think is going to come down to the price you're willing to pay him. You can either trade him for a draft pick right now, or you can keep him for 8 games while your team is circling the drain and get a worse pick that has stupid restrictions on it.

You take the draft pick and run, my friend. You take it and run. We could have gone 6-10 with Jakeem Grant out there in the slot, and you know what, it probably would have been more interesting to watch.

It's not at all about picking up a better player than Jarvis Landry. It's about asset management. Consider:

- Miami and Jarvis Landry were far apart on contract figures.
- Miami's coaching staff was upset with Landry.
- Miami had already tried shopping Landry multiple times.
- If Miami lets Landry walk in free agency, the pick won't come in until 2019, and trying to get that pick will limit what the team can do in free agency.

So you have a player you're not entirely satisfied with, that you have already tried to trade multiple times, and that you don't think is going to come down to the price you're willing to pay him. You can either trade him for a draft pick right now, or you can keep him for 8 games while your team is circling the drain and get a worse pick that has stupid restrictions on it.

You take the draft pick and run, my friend. You take it and run. We could have gone 6-10 with Jakeem Grant out there in the slot, and you know what, it probably would have been more interesting to watch.
I'm in total agreement with you my friend.

Back
Top Bottom