Landry contract | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Landry contract

If he gets a contract and I say IF can they put something in on the lines of behavior? Such as every time he gets a personal foul for his antics and costs the team 15 yards he gets docked certain amount of money out of his check? I understand his passion and all but theirs a difference between arrogance and and toughness example anquan bolden wasn’t the fastest just like Landry isn’t but he was ferocious never cost his team penalty’s with over the top nonsense he celebrates and mouths off every catch even if it’s for a 1 yard gain he has the wr diva ego and should wish he would leave it between the whistles and just play ball hard that extra **** he does just hurts the team

.. sorry I ranted a bit towards the end lol

I'd be pissed with the state of this team also. Keep him and stop trying to stifle his passion. Better yet, go get a Brian Hartline and see where that get us. We need more players like Landry on this team. PERIOD

I'd be pissed with the state of this team also. Keep him and stop trying to stifle his passion. Better yet, go get a Brian Hartline and see where that get us. We need more players like Landry on this team. PERIOD

So your pissed at the state of this team? We agree, I am too. Don't you think Landry is a leader, if not THE leader? Maybe I'm wrong, that's what most of his supporters say about him. I also agree with that, he seems to be A leader at least.

That being said, I feel the team leadership is pitiful. Laughing and joking after a 40-0 loss in Baltimore? Doesn't sound like leadership I want.

I liked what Channing Crowder said the other day. In his era, that was not allowed mostly because of JT. He talked about the tables with food set up after games and JT basically throwing them across the room. This team has nothing like that.

He's a dump off/slot guy. He is a maximum effort guy, but having only 6 20+ yard plays on 160 targets is pitiful. He has real limitations.

Last edited:
Its a tough call. He can play but is he worth what he is demanding. I have to say no. The problem that comes into play by letting him walk now we have WR, DE, LB, TE that are priorities in the draft. Can we get help for all of these positions if Landry is not resigned? Would team discipline improve with Landry gone?

I wouldn't pay him to 5 wr money or anything crazy like that but I would definitely pay this man.

You take this guy off the offense and I don't even want to think about how bad we would've been the last few years. Between him, Stills and Parker you have a decent wr group and then you replace Parker.

You get rid of Landry you better be drafting or bringing in a really good wr in free agency because the offense is gonna be garbage if you think Parker and Stills are enough to get the job done. Especially with our rb and tight end depth, I'd be all over resigning Landry, he can actually play.

So your pissed at the state of this team? We agree, I am too. Don't you think Landry is a leader, if not THE leader? Maybe I'm wrong, that's what most of his supporters say about him. I also agree with that, he seems to be A leader at least.

That being said, I feel the team leadership is pitiful. Laughing and joking after a 40-0 loss in Baltimore? Doesn't sound like leadership I want.

I liked what Channing Crowder said the other day. In his era, that was not allowed mostly because of JT. He talked about the tables with food set up after games and JT basically throwing them across the room. This team has nothing like that.

He's a dump off/slot guy. He is a maximum effort guy, but having only 6 20+ yard plays on 160 targets is pitiful. He has real limitations.

Well he was a lot better when he didn't have Jay Cutler. Look at his 2016 #s with a better QB vs this years All Pro WR's

Antonio Brown 27 catches of 20+ yards, 1st Down 44.4% of plays, 72 1st Downs, 9.46 yards per play, 162 targets

Julio Jones 23 catches of 20+ yards, 1st Down 45.3% of plays, 67 1st Downs, 9.76 yards per play, 148 targets

A.J Green 9 catches of 20+ yards, 1st Down 38.7% of plays, 55 1st Downs, 8.46 yards per play, 142 targets

Deandre Hopkins 24 catches of 20+ yards, 1st Down 39.7% of plays, 69 1st Downs, 8.89 yards per play, 174 targets

Adam Thielen 20 catches of 20+ yards, 1st Down 41.0% of plays, 59 1st Downs, 8.40 yards per play, 144 targest

Jarvis Landry 16 catches of 20+ yards, 1st Down 40.2% of plays, 53 1st Downs, 8.61 yards per play, 132 targets

Clearly Brown and Julio blow everybody else away, but Landry is right there with everyone else.

The only positive about Cutler was that he targeted Landry more inside the 10. While last year inside the 10 he was targeted 4 times and had 4 catches for 2 TD's. This year he was targeted 14 times and had 11 catches for 9 TD's. Out of everybody in the NFL that was targeted more than 10 or more times inside the 10 Landry led the NFL in catch% with 78% and led the NFL with the most TD's inside the 10 with 9 making him a valuable RZ target.

My solution would be very simple. I'd draft Sutton or Ridley at 11, both of whom are more dynamic and explosive than Landry. That's what I would do.

Ozzy rules!!

I'm not familiar with those players and if they do turn out to be better than Landry, great. But the point remains that you're still just making more holes in a team with enough already. Personally, I want Landry on this team even if it means spending a little more than we should, but that also doesn't necessarily mean I think that's something we should do. Honestly, I'm pretty on the fence about it. On the one hand the guys is the heart and soul of our team and in the 15 years I've been a fan I haven't seen a single player on this team with the passion that he has, it may cost us a few penalties but I love it. And like I previously said, letting him walk just creates another big hole. But on the other hand he is certainly wanting a lot of money.

Well he was a lot better when he didn't have Jay Cutler. Look at his 2016 #s with a better QB vs this years All Pro WR's

Antonio Brown 27 catches of 20+ yards, 1st Down 44.4% of plays, 72 1st Downs, 9.46 yards per play, 162 targets

Julio Jones 23 catches of 20+ yards, 1st Down 45.3% of plays, 67 1st Downs, 9.76 yards per play, 148 targets

A.J Green 9 catches of 20+ yards, 1st Down 38.7% of plays, 55 1st Downs, 8.46 yards per play, 142 targets

Deandre Hopkins 24 catches of 20+ yards, 1st Down 39.7% of plays, 69 1st Downs, 8.89 yards per play, 174 targets

Adam Thielen 20 catches of 20+ yards, 1st Down 41.0% of plays, 59 1st Downs, 8.40 yards per play, 144 targest

Jarvis Landry 16 catches of 20+ yards, 1st Down 40.2% of plays, 53 1st Downs, 8.61 yards per play, 132 targets

Clearly Brown and Julio blow everybody else away, but Landry is right there with everyone else.

The only positive about Cutler was that he targeted Landry more inside the 10. While last year inside the 10 he was targeted 4 times and had 4 catches for 2 TD's. This year he was targeted 14 times and had 11 catches for 9 TD's. Out of everybody in the NFL that was targeted more than 10 or more times inside the 10 Landry led the NFL in catch% with 78% and led the NFL with the most TD's inside the 10 with 9 making him a valuable RZ target.

That is a good point. You ignored the leadership part though, that very well may be much more important. I know there are tons of Landry supporters, do those people think he's doing a good job leading?

Do they think Armando's article is bull?

They think Landry is fine as a leader and hot head not even caring that he was mixing up his routes?

I think he's a joke of a leader and this team needs new leadership. I also think fans tend to think certain players are irreplaceable, like Ajayi. I think in basically every facet of offense, we improved after the trade. I LOVED Ajayi, but I think teams never get worse when they shed a personality like he obviously had.

Absolutely i would feel the same. For the most part him getting in people's face, the extra shoves, etc never bothered me. In fact i found it entertaining. Even the first down pointing thing i enjoy. My point is simply that the repercussions of some of it are not outweighed drastically by his production.

My feelings on this are purely about business not personal. I like him on our team and I'd love to keep him. I'm just not willing to throw #1 money at him. We have far too many holes and needs to tie up #1 money in a slot.
You pay him that kind of money and you HAVE to feature him more than you should and as Danny had shown very clearly if you run the O through him you will NEVER succeed. Too many long drives with too many looks for the opposing D.

He gained 5 TD's from last year. If he's the key to our O that should have meant more for the team, but it was just the opposite. The team lost 13 TD's from 2016. You just can't make your slot THAT crucial to your offensive production. It doesn't work. And if you're not going to feature him then why on earth would you give him feature type pay?

I appreciate the business perspective, but how about the game day perspective? On this team, do you feel we will be more productive or less productive with a WR core of Stills, Parker and Grant? Better yet, make that Stills, Parker and Carroo, because DVP certainly isn’t going to get less injury prone with time. You can’t just assume this team will release Landry and immediately draft your favorite prospect as his replacement in this year’s draft. It could very well be that we ignore the WR position entirely in favor of OL and defense. We don’t have unlimited picks. That means if we don’t draft his replacement (highly likely), we might just be stuck with a below average WR core until they can over-spend for another free agent reach with half of Landry’s talent.

I know you don’t want to throw #1 WR money at Landry, and I actually agree with your philosophy in general, the problem is Landry is Miami’s #1 receiver whether we like it or not. DVP is not a true #1 and can’t stay healthy if he was. Grant is fast but has bad hands and we have no idea what Carroo is capable of, but he hasn’t beaten any of the others out of a job yet. I like Stills, but he gets limited targets and isn’t a #1, either.

FWIW, Tom Brady has won an awful lot of games with slot receivers. Remember when we didn’t want to pay Welker?

I think he's a joke of a leader and this team needs new leadership. I also think fans tend to think certain players are irreplaceable, like Ajayi. I think in basically every facet of offense, we improved after the trade. I LOVED Ajayi, but I think teams never get worse when they shed a personality like he obviously had.

I guess thats where we differ. I rather have a guy who produces even if he isn't that great a leader, as oppose to a good leader who can't produce to Landry's level. Landry had 7 penalties same as Antonio Brown, 2 more than A.J. green, 2 less than Kenny Stills, 1 more than DeAndre Hopkins.

Player Team Total
Value
Avg./Year Total
Guaranteed
Avg.
Guar./Year
% Guar. Free
Agency

Antonio Brown Steelers $68,000,000 $17,000,000 $19,000,000 $4,750,000 27.9% 2022 UFA
DeAndre Hopkins Texans $81,000,000 $16,200,000 $36,500,000 $7,300,000 45.1% 2023 UFA
A.J. Green Bengals $60,000,000 $15,000,000 $26,750,000 $6,687,500 44.6% 2020 UFA
Davante Adams Packers $58,000,000 $14,500,000 $18,000,000 $4,500,000 31.0% 2022 UFA
Julio Jones Falcons $71,250,000 $14,250,000 $35,500,000 $7,100,000 49.8% 2021 UFA
Demaryius Thomas Broncos $70,000,000 $14,000,000 $35,000,000 $7,000,000 50.0% 2020 UFA
Dez Bryant Cowboys $70,000,000 $14,000,000 $32,000,000 $6,400,000 45.7% 2020 UFA
TY Hilton Colts $65,000,000 $13,000,000...............

Just some perspective.............

I appreciate the business perspective, but how about the game day perspective? On this team, do you feel we will be more productive or less productive with a WR core of Stills, Parker and Grant? Better yet, make that Stills, Parker and Carroo, because DVP certainly isn’t going to get less injury prone with time. You can’t just assume this team will release Landry and immediately draft your favorite prospect as his replacement in this year’s draft. It could very well be that we ignore the WR position entirely in favor of OL and defense. We don’t have unlimited picks. That means if we don’t draft his replacement (highly likely), we might just be stuck with a below average WR core until they can over-spend for another free agent reach with half of Landry’s talent.

I know you don’t want to throw #1 WR money at Landry, and I actually agree with your philosophy in general, the problem is Landry is Miami’s #1 receiver whether we like it or not. DVP is not a true #1 and can’t stay healthy if he was. Grant is fast but has bad hands and we have no idea what Carroo is capable of, but he hasn’t beaten any of the others out of a job yet. I like Stills, but he gets limited targets and isn’t a #1, either.

FWIW, Tom Brady has won an awful lot of games with slot receivers. Remember when we didn’t want to pay Welker?

Couldn't agree more with you. I just have this sinking feeling that we're gonna let him walk and be much worse off even if it does save us money. I don't think I can bare to watch an offense with Stills, Parker, and Grant/Carroo as your leading receivers. I'm getting nightmares just thinking about it.

I guess thats where we differ. I rather have a guy who produces even if he isn't that great a leader, as oppose to a good leader who can't produce to Landry's level. Landry had 7 penalties same as Antonio Brown, 2 more than A.J. green, 2 less than Kenny Stills, 1 more than DeAndre Hopkins.

Yeah I think his "penalty problem" is getting a little overblown. Don't get me wrong he's had some boneheaded penalties in the four seasons he's been here but 1. Who hasn't? and 2. I don't think it has ever really done any real damage as far as costing us a game or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom